Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 03:36 PM

75 posts, read 103,502 times

Advertisements

This post came at a perfect time. I was looking at all my coats here in Connecticut this morning and trying to decide which ones to bring with me when I move in June to Jacksonville. I guess I can get rid of my LLBean 40 below coat that I used when I lived in Alaska . That one came in handy today as it was 2 below this morning (13 below with the wind chill) when I got up in Connecticut. This is going to be awesome-donating at least 8 kinds of coat for the New England weather that can change in 24 hours and keeping maybe 2 of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:18 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
In a meteorological sense, the weather is similar, marginally warmer in general, but basically the same. A lot more similar than JAX weather is compared to South Florida is my point.
That's probably because St Mary's/South Georgia is only 40 miles away while Miami/South Florida is almost 400 miles away. Heck Atlanta, Georgia is closer to Jacksonville than Miami is.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:33 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,376,989 times
There were some flurries that flew in parts of Jacksonville and some folks were really amazed over it. Guess many people who move here would never give it a thought that they would see any kind of snowfall. Sort of like when some flurries can fall in So California/LA area........people get totally amazed. "Here?" they ask.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:58 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post
That's probably because St Mary's/South Georgia is only 40 miles away while Miami/South Florida is almost 400 miles away. Heck Atlanta, Georgia is closer to Jacksonville than Miami is.
Again, not the point, the distance one place is from another doesn't matter, it's geography that determines it.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:43 AM

40 posts, read 90,124 times
I'm excited to know I won't have to ditch all my boots, scarfs and jackets! I may be able to wear them once a year a least! hehehe.... I'm excited that doesn't matter how cold it gets in JAX, where I am in NC is ALWAYS 10-20 degrees colder! So when you guys were having 35F I was having 10F here! Just came from the Holidays in Florida...so it was a little depressing to come home to this especially cold weather.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 2,794 times
As someone moving from Indianapolis in just 5 weeks.....if this is the worst it gets, I can deal with it lol. I've wanted a tropical environment for my whole life, and compared to the highs around zero with wind chills of -20 to -35.....I am actually quite jealous of your 30 degree temps lol.

Stay warm everyone!

Old 01-09-2015, 11:16 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Love BOATING!!! where have you been man!!

How cold is it down there?

Old 01-10-2015, 10:42 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
It's true, I have been struggling at times during this cold streak, but I do prefer cold winters to hot summers. And I remember when I lived in Chicago there was a two-week stretch of sub-zero degree wind chills and then one day it was in the 20s and I actually walked around in a t-shirt. It just felt soo warm.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:55 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
You won't need a Winter Parka here, but there are some days during our so-called "winter season", that you will definitely need a good/lined winter coat.........and today is one of them! At this Thread posting (noon, 1/8/15), the temp is 35 degrees! Now I know why some type of winter coats, not necessarily winter parka's, are sold in stores.

We still have Winter Parka's from when we lived south of Denver, CO. My wife wore hers to work one day last winter and some folks gave her a weird look. Heck, we are in our mid-60's and don't handle too cold of weather very well. Anyway, fortunately, we did buy a couple of nice/lined winter type coats when we lived in Charlotte, NC., but we really never thought we'd have to wear them in a State named "Florida". People move to Florida to get out of "Old Man Winter's" grip. What a lot of folks moving here don't know, Daytona Beach and north has seen some snow before! Amazing and true.

Actually, Miami people are FREEZING today w/a high of only 69 degrees! So, they are feeling this cold as well.

If you are new here or thinking about moving here, what do you think of this weather?
Point of clarification, the high was 75.9 degrees on January 8th in Miami (Virginia Key), not 69. I just looked it up in an online almanac.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:16 AM

9,404 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Point of clarification, the high was 75.9 degrees on January 8th in Miami (Virginia Key), not 69. I just looked it up in an online almanac.
Thanks for that *critical* clarification on temperature! Not sure this thread would have survived without it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville