Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:25 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent View Post
LewLew,
I am a fan of the Gulf also. how much could taxes and insurance have increased to make you stay in this area. It seems tome the gulf is worth a few extra thousand a year. Thats me personally. I haven't heard how much insurance and taxes have increased. i would love to hear a ballpark figure on the increases. Look forward to hearing it. I miss the GOM
I heard horror stories in Pinellas County that people are paying 5K per year in Home insurance, and the tax millage in Pinellas was 22 when I left. Thus, people are forking over 10K per year for the "gov essentials". The funny thing is....that area wasn't hit directly by the hurricanes. The areas that were hit actually have cheaper taxes and insurance.

We are moving back to the gulf. My husband was transferred to Ft Myers. We are looking all around that area from North Port, to Estero. I'm so excited to get back to all the fun stuff we used to do.

I am sure that the taxes came down in Pinellas County (Palm Harbor/Clearwater/St Pete), as they came down most places in FL....but 22 millage is about 8-10 points higher than most other gulf areas...and Jacksonville.

We don't hate Jax, but it's not where we want to be long term. It's just one of those things where you "fit" in somewhere better than another...so we are going back. We miss the Gulf too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
Thanks LewLew for the advice....my company does have a Tampa office! My dad would love to visit me for Yankees spring training....he is a huge Yankee fan. I also am a big hockey fan so that is another bonus....but I do want to live in a downtown area. I never again want to live in the suburbs unless I am married with kids!! Never!! Can you give me advice on good neighborhoods either in or near to downtown for young people to live? Or are all the good areas in Clearwater or St. Pete?
Absolutely! Check out South Tampa. There are tons of urban young professionals. It is a little pricey, but the apartments aren't bad. You'll love it there. Make sure you call a realtor though....they won't make a dime on you renting an apartment, but they'll be able to tell you about rental flats, lofts and condos. South Tampa is very nice, but as you probably know....most nice downtown areas are skirted by some "not so nice" areas...that is why I would contact a realtor.

It's a walking area in South Tampa....Hyde Park is great. There are some affordable condo rentals there. Lots of hip people, outdoor eateries, live music, bars etc.

Really, I think that you might really like it. Good luck!!!

Clearwater and St Pete are FUN! too. However, they are a quick drive over the Courtney Cambell Causeway from Tampa. That is a nice drive as well....11 miles of palm lined roads over the Tampa Bay. Very pretty.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:17 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
I heard horror stories in Pinellas County that people are paying 5K per year in Home insurance, and the tax millage in Pinellas was 22 when I left. Thus, people are forking over 10K per year for the "gov essentials". The funny thing is....that area wasn't hit directly by the hurricanes. The areas that were hit actually have cheaper taxes and insurance.
We have friends in Pinellas that are paying more for their housing in every aspect. Their house and neighborhood is much like ours, only their house is older and smaller and cost much more. They pay much more for taxes and homeowner's insurance too.

Even with the real estate run-up in Jax, we're still relatively inexpensive.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
We have friends in Pinellas that are paying more for their housing in every aspect. Their house and neighborhood is much like ours, only their house is older and smaller and cost much more. They pay much more for taxes and homeowner's insurance too.

Even with the real estate run-up in Jax, we're still relatively inexpensive.
Yes...that is true....although, if they bought a while ago, I guarantee their house isn't worth as much now. That area dropped nearly 50%.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:57 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Yes...that is true....although, if they bought a while ago, I guarantee their house isn't worth as much now. That area dropped nearly 50%.
Right. They paid more for their house in Tampa and they've lost more in the recent drop in FL real estate. They still have equity, but if they had been in Jax they'd have much more equity.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Right. They paid more for their house in Tampa and they've lost more in the recent drop in FL real estate. They still have equity, but if they had been in Jax they'd have much more equity.
Yes, that coast was hard hit by the drop in the market. The good thing in Jax is that the prices started out on the low side...so unless you bought in a "gated/CDD" type community between 2004-2006...everyone in Jax appears to have some decent equity in their homes. I hope it stays that way b/c we are being transferred and currently selling

Old 02-08-2008, 02:07 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,755 times
I second LewLew's suggestion about the Hyde Park area in Tampa. But I must warn you - nothing is a "quick" drive in Tampa. OMG traffic is beyond belief. I lived in SW area of Hillsborough County for 3 years before I moved back here in 2004. Everything was more expensive, and everywhere is traffic, and more traffic.

I have preferred to be in Jacksonville, but I'm an old fart, so I don't care about a 20's something scene. Everyone says how spread out Jax is, but for me, Tampa just seemed so spread out. And Tampa seemd to be to be kind of the step sister to Clearwater and St. Pete. Each of those towns are much smaller than Jax, but when you take them all together - let's say Hillborough, Pinellas & Pasco counties, you have over 3M people. Now that's spread out, and it seemed to me that those 3M people all worked in Tampa! (actually I think they all worked within 5 miles of where I did).

But this thread is not about Tampa, so I digress.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:42 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
If all you do it ***** and moan about how much a place sucks of course it will... Any place is what you make it.. I moved to Jacksonville from wonderful NJ ( filled with all kinds of smart people ) in 1990. Before the Jaguars, before the Superbowl and I found it very fun. My friends and I had a lots of fun and somehow we found bars, original music etc.. But then again I didn't sit around and complain about things and look for Jax to be NYC or Southbeach, because it is not.

If this place is so horrible move away, make some changes or get some new friends. And remember just because someone has a Southern accent doesn't mean they are ignorant , backwoods, racist morons

Old 02-09-2008, 10:29 AM

53 posts, read 58,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
If all you do it ***** and moan about how much a place sucks of course it will... Any place is what you make it.. I moved to Jacksonville from wonderful NJ ( filled with all kinds of smart people ) in 1990. Before the Jaguars, before the Superbowl and I found it very fun. My friends and I had a lots of fun and somehow we found bars, original music etc.. But then again I didn't sit around and complain about things and look for Jax to be NYC or Southbeach, because it is not.

If this place is so horrible move away, make some changes or get some new friends. And remember just because someone has a Southern accent doesn't mean they are ignorant , backwoods, racist morons

Yes! If you think someone is dumb or racist b/c they have a southern accent, please take I-95 N. It runs North just as easily as it runs South

Old 02-09-2008, 11:01 AM

541 posts, read 2,286,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuName View Post
Yes! If you think someone is dumb or racist b/c they have a southern accent, please take I-95 N. It runs North just as easily as it runs South
Thanks for the advice. I guess another option is to go south on I-95 for about an hour to escape the "southern bubble." It is a lot quicker than the 10 hours I would need to drive in the northward direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville