Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 01:12 PM

260 posts, read 387,922 times

Advertisements

Thank you Ivan. I ran into Fresh Market earlier this afternoon. A nice shopping experience but it reminded me a bit of a Stew Leonard's where it isn't always easy to find what you are looking for and the path takes you on a tour. Best Publix so far is the one at Sawgrass. Very nice store. The Costco here is one of the busiest I have seen. Busier than the one in Maui where everyone stops after leaving the airport. I will look for those gift cards next tine I go. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 05:03 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornsch View Post
I believe Robyn is referring to the 'fine(r) dining' options.
That's correct. FWIW - Moxie is still our favorite restaurant. And it has an excellent deal on gift cards for the next week. Buy $100 - get a $40 bonus (although do note the relatively short "shelf life" - only until mid-February):

Gift Cards | Moxie Kitchen + Cocktails

Quote:
There more groceries, markets, etc. in this area than any area I have lived- which include several metro areas. You did not mention Fresh Market, Native Sun, Whole Foods, Earth Fare, any of the 'local' farmer's markets- just to name a few of the top of my head. There are also ethnic specific markets in the area I believe- but I have never been to.
I agree. Our normal rotation includes Publix - Costco - Fresh Market - Whole Foods and JAX Oriental Market. I also buy various items on line (everything from authentic New Orleans red beans to poussins). Robyn

Old 11-17-2016, 05:24 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Fresh Market is overpriced on the usual "grocery store" items much like Whole Foods but if you're price conscious, you'll know right away what's a rip off and what's not. I mentioned this before but I only go there for their meats - NY strips, ribeyes, filet, roasted chicken etc.

Btw, Fresh Market is about a quarter of a mile down on A1A from Publix at Sawgrass Village (2 lights down).

As for restaurants, our favorites for "fine" dining thus far have been Medure in PVB (go grab a few $80 for $100 gift cards at Costco before you go - good for both Medure and Matthews), Eleven South in Jax Beach and Orsay in Jax. I've also heard Azurea at 1 Ocean in Atlantic Beach is good but haven't had the chance to try.

Here's a link to a discussion on area restaurants from earlier this year:

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...estaurant.html
We buy meat - especially ribeyes - mostly at Whole Foods - Fresh Market - and Costco. It is pretty much "catch as catch can". If it looks good - I buy it. Note that the "choice" ribeyes at Whole Foods are often more marbled than the "prime" ones at Costco. We only eat about 1 steak a month (1 16 ounce steak is more than enough for both of us) - so I really don't care what I pay for them.

Whole Foods has excellent sausages (many flavors).

I am always on the lookout for good sales on things like my favorite olive oil (Colavita Extra Virgin). They can pop up anywhere - and I stock up when I see them.

Azurea is good. We sometimes go there for lunch. One thing in its favor - apart from the food - is it has a great parking lot (parking in that area can be quite dreadful). Robyn

Old 11-17-2016, 06:51 AM

6,413 posts, read 4,908,175 times
Quote:
I honestly think Aqua Grill is the worst restaurant in PVB. Been there 4 times and have been underwhelmed each and every time (in-laws like the place so we reluctantly go - thankfully they pay).
We have eaten at Aqua Grill several times. We enjoy sitting outside and looking over the lake. Dinner was $80+ for 2 entrees and and 1 extra vegetable and salad, no drinks. I think its better for lunch. The food and service were excellent. We love the Puffer fish that greets you when you arrive.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:45 AM

294 posts, read 340,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

Azurea is good. We sometimes go there for lunch. One thing in its favor - apart from the food - is it has a great parking lot (parking in that area can be quite dreadful). Robyn

It is good. A little expensive but it does claim to be an 'oceanfront resort'. We like going for brunch, especially when the weather is nice and we can ride our bikes- parking is absolutely terrible in that area and going to get worse with Hawkers and associated boutique shops in that building opening up soon!

Old 11-17-2016, 12:13 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,150,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
We love the Puffer fish that greets you when you arrive.
Heard the puffer fish didn't make it through the hurricane (power outage)...

Old 11-17-2016, 01:57 PM

6,413 posts, read 4,908,175 times
Quote:
Heard the puffer fish didn't make it through the hurricane (power outage)...
Oh no!!! It survived a drink being poured into the tank on New Years. Can anyone confirm this?

Old 11-17-2016, 06:00 PM

443 posts, read 895,837 times
My husband and I are visiting PVB this weekend and just came back from dinner at Nona Blue. My meatloaf was excellent, as was the creamed corn casserole that came with it. My H had the shrimp and roasted corn chowder - very good. His fish and chips was just so-so.

It was so LOUD in there that we had to shout to be heard. Too bad because it was great otherwise. If we come again, we'll sit outside, although it was pretty loud out there, too.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:00 AM

294 posts, read 340,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo View Post

It was so LOUD in there that we had to shout to be heard. Too bad because it was great otherwise. If we come again, we'll sit outside, although it was pretty loud out there, too.

I am going again this sat night with the wife and no kid. I can't wait for the meatloaf. I am going to bring ear plugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville