Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:18 AM

7 posts, read 53,482 times

Advertisements

As a born native of Fernandina Beach, my family dates back to 1795. I can pretty much answer any questions you may have about the island. A lot of people make the distinction that the South End on Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach are two different places but I'm here to tell you that there is not a river that runs through it. In short, you can make this place your own island paradise but there are three rules to follow: Mind your own business, Don't tell people your business, Enjoy your life. As I've heard many remarks that people on the North End are rednecks, my friends and I who are all Natives have all traveled the World and have offered this island a rich culture. If you are inspired by outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, tennis, golf or anything to do with the water, then you will enjoy the lifestyle very much. As far as making a living, besides the two paper mills or the golf resorts, you should come with an education and be a professional as there is not much to choose from besides hospitality and retail if you aren't college educated. The history of Fernandina Beach is a really interesting subject that you might want to discover for yourself (The Isle of Eight Flags). A couple of things that I enjoy doing as a local are; Playing golf on a bright sunny day, taking my dogs to American Beach and surfing on a big Southeast swell. Anyone that's interested in not playing into the negativity can ask me any question that you like.

Last edited by islandtraveler; 03-09-2008 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 01:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtraveler View Post
. As I've heard many remarks that people on the North End are rednecks, my friends and I who are all Natives have all traveled the World and have offered this island a rich culture.
Just in the months I've been here, I have met many locals who have been all over the place, and I mean ALL OVER the place--then came back. I really have enjoyed meeting so many of the people here and they have been very welcoming. I am trying to be a *positive* addition to the island.
Quote:
Anyone that's interested in not playing into the negativity can ask me any question that you like.
Island, I agree with you about the employment issues here.
What would you do to encourage small businesses and try to "grow" the economy? How can Amelia Island create a sustainable economy but still remain its unique self?
I guess it's all a matter of a living wage, and that's really tough these days.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:58 PM

7 posts, read 53,482 times
Hi BlueWillow,

That's a terrific question. At this time with the falling economy, one has to be very careful Having said that, if I were to start a small business in Fernandina, there are two key factors I would look at: Chamber of Commerce and advertising. Chamber of Commerce has a great network with advertising and also a new program for small businesses that want health coverage. The advertisers I've found to be the best in the area are: Folio Weekly and Amelia Now. If you advertise with Amelia Now, they will offer a new business category which reaches out to locals and tourists. I think everything revolves around the type of business you want to open, which should be service oriented, unique and offer a product that no other business has- a niche.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtraveler View Post
Chamber of Commerce has a great network with advertising and also a new program for small businesses that want health coverage. The advertisers I've found to be the best in the area are: Folio Weekly and Amelia Now.
That's great about the Chamber of Commerce.
I enjoy Folio Weekly and read it regularly.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:01 PM

10 posts, read 60,054 times
is it practical both time wise and $ wise to commute to jacksonville by way of the mayport ferry m-f?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:38 AM

49 posts, read 271,491 times
Do you suspect that they will still have the Mayport Ferry? I love the ride over to Mayport especially to buy the fresh seafoord. It's so easy to get to Jax beach from Amelia Island via the ferry too. (Wish it wasn't $3.25 per ride. Seven years ago it was 25 cents.)

Anyway, I had read in the JAX Business Journal that cruise lines may be docking in the Mayport area. I think it would be in the best interest of the local Fernandina/Amelia hotels to utilize the ferry system. Perhaps running hourly shuttles from their hotels to the ferry. Because if the cruise ships do go in very likely there will be shops and restaurants to support that. It would certainly expand business opportunities for the Fern/Amelia Island hotels to give guests something else to do in addition to all the Island has to offer.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:21 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,507 times
Default Nice to Know

I cannot go back as far as you, but I have been a visitor to Fernandina Beach for 60 years. Now in retirement, I contemplate daily moving there and ultimately being buried in shady Bosque Belle.

I have been unable to get clear information on how the insurance issue is affecting Fernandina/Amelia. There is a lot for sale on the island; almost too much for whatever reasons. Can you comment on why that is? What do these people know who are trying to sell that I do not as a buyer?

I don't feel I need to live on the beach even if I could afford it. I actually like the older area of town on the north side of Atlantic Blvd. Give me the oaks.

I would really appreciate your discourse on moving to and living on the island. I have no interest in the Plantation area or golfing communities. I am looking for quiet as possible.

Thanks so much.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 9,523 times
My wife, kids and I are looking into moving to Fernandina Beach. We currently live in Connecticut. In the Northeast there are not a lot of choices for Christian Schools. I am currently trying to find out as much information on Faith Christian Academy. From my research everything looks great but I have not yet visited the school. I would greatly appreciate if anyone has any information on the school or the church (Living Waters) that runs it. Thank you.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:55 AM

5 posts, read 18,780 times
Hello all;
I am the publisher of the Fernandina Historic District News. My name is Chuck Hall, and my family dates back about 4 generations here. I have a great love of the island and especially the historic downtown area. I, too, left to go to school as a teenager, but returned to retire early. I have been blessed with being able to buy back my family's estate downtown....that is so cool, don't ya think?

Anyhoo, just a note to say that I publish the newsletter via email each month. just go to http://FHDnews.com/index.htm (broken link) to sign up. It's free, and you'll be 'in the know' about all things downtown and historic here.

Best wishes;
Chuck Hall

Old 06-05-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy15 View Post

Anyhoo, just a note to say that I publish the newsletter via email each month. just go to http://FHDnews.com/index.htm (broken link) to sign up. It's free, and you'll be 'in the know' about all things downtown and historic here.

Best wishes;
Chuck Hall
Hi Chuck
Unfortunately, the newsletter link does not work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville