Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 08:41 PM
PF2 PF2 started this thread

12 posts, read 13,974 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for the information! I appreciate the time you took to respond. I’m glad you’re enjoying your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 11:28 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,432,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF2 View Post
Thanks so much for the information! I appreciate the time you took to respond. I’m glad you’re enjoying your home.
Glad to help.

If that is a new community about to open try and be there on opening day. You will have the best choice of lots. Pulte opened our development on a Monday. We got there Friday and 19 lots were already sold, we were fortunate to get the lake view lot with woods on the other side. Very relaxing view. Other lake lot homes look across other lakes and have to look at homes on the other side or at the amenity center.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:32 AM

318 posts, read 467,344 times
We came here from Washington DC almost 2 years ago -- after several years of looking. Ended up in an existing "mixed age" neighborhood, and so far so good.

Highly suggest bypassing Lennar. Lennar is a super fast production builder, there are no customizations. Also, as far as I am aware, they don't work with Realtors... or are "unhappy" to do so. That is a problem, IMHO. I wanted the help of a local person when buying a home.

Pulte would be a good choice. I've only heard great things about Pulte here in Northern Fla.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:53 PM

10 posts, read 20,012 times
I'm currently building my home in Heritage Trace at Crosswater and the Del Webb community is directly across from me. My house won't be completed until December but I do encourage you to get a 3 phase inspection especially if you currently living out of state until your home is completed. I hired New Inspection in Ponte Vedra. There website is newinspections.com. Not only will you have a piece of mind but mistakes will happen and Im hiring them to catch those mistakes.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:52 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,432,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgregor View Post
I'm currently building my home in Heritage Trace at Crosswater and the Del Webb community is directly across from me. My house won't be completed until December but I do encourage you to get a 3 phase inspection especially if you currently living out of state until your home is completed. I hired New Inspection in Ponte Vedra. There website is newinspections.com. Not only will you have a piece of mind but mistakes will happen and Im hiring them to catch those mistakes.
Perhaps it worked well for you but I find these outfits more a Hector The Inspector types. In and out ASAP so they can maximize their time which increases their revenues.

I found building a relationship with sales, sales manager, and the site supervisors more efficient. If you treat them they way you would want to be treated, they are more responsive to your needs.

I even had them fix things after the one-year initial call-back warranty period ended. It wound up being cheaper than hiring Hector the Inspector.

I also had the site supervisor over for a BBQ with my family. He was very helpful pointing out which subs I should deal with if I ever needed work on the home not related to warranty.

Just be nice and patient. You wind up higher on their “to do” list.

My neighbor was a *all *uster and they are still waiting to get things addressed that my guy took care of and we built our home after theirs!

Maybe its a “Me” generation thing but I find being an old foogie, our approach gets results done and faster.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:09 AM

989 posts, read 769,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgregor View Post
Welcome to Florida...….

Old 06-28-2019, 12:48 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Pulte is a mid-range builder, Toll Brothers higher end, Lanar a lower end builder IMHO.
We selected higher end additions in the home above the Pulte base.

Good luck with your choice
Pulte has 3rd party inspections on all it's jobs, both single and multifamily, and does a superior job to Toll Brothers. I could go into many great details, but I don't want to scare any homeowners who have purchased a home from Toll. I agree with your assessment of Lennar however.

THWT

Old 06-30-2019, 11:50 AM

5 posts, read 5,291 times
Something realized during construction of our home - contractors are jumping around from builder to builder. Resources are in high demand. Lennar has many ‘everything included’ homes and you’re limited as to what you can change, however, you can control cost. We had one of Pulte’s subsidiary companies build our NOVA home in a high end neighborhood and it was great but I haven’t been in any of their models in FL. TB is not custom but will allow some changes. With TB you’ll have to upgrade almost everything in order to get what you might consider high end. TB also has a two-year window contract that you cannot change. All three builders are tract home builders. Ask each builder for their standard inclusion list and compare. Research everything. Talk with existing homeowners as well as folks currently building and ask them specific questions.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:26 AM
PF2 PF2 started this thread

12 posts, read 13,974 times
Thank you everyone for the incredible insight! We purchased a lot in the new Del Webb Nocatee community during the VIP pre-sale phase. We have been looking at Ponte Vedra and Nocatee for the past five years, so this was not a rash decision.

Additionally, we made sure that we could get inspections done by an independent inspector during the building phase as we will be in NOVA through most of the building process. Our realtor will help us find a reputable inspector in the area.

We are fortunate to have our son and soon to be daughter-in-law living in Jacksonville already, so they will be able to do periodic checks, too. Also, our realtor does weekly photos of the building process. :-) We are both anxious and excited to start this new adventure.

Last edited by PF2; 07-01-2019 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville