Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:50 PM

725 posts, read 2,571,302 times

Advertisements

Based on your description ..I'd say its a Kite, a Swallow-tailed Kite. They make lots of noise too. (I love bird quizzes..lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:45 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,035 times
Thanks doc & ride. I think you are correct, I think it is a kite. I was thinking shrike, most of my books are packed up, and when I did a search on shrike it was much too small, duh. None of thepics from the web site look exactly like any the bird I saw, but I think it's the same family. Hopefully I'll get a pic soon. I see these every year about this time, but they don't hang around for any length of time at all.

Thanks again. rep points to you both.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Greatlife, I kept seeing a bird like that around this time last year, over on the northwest side, the Gulf. At first I thought it was a tern, but the color and size was incorrect.
I never could get a pic but am pretty sure that Ryde's suggestion, a Swallow-tailed Kite, is also what I was seeing.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:44 PM

549 posts, read 2,205,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
Anyone have any pics of terns? There's one that's been flying around our pond here, but I haven't been able to get a picture of it. I'm not even sure it's a tern, it's large like a hawk, white, very sleek with a black forked tail. Anyone know what it might be based on my rather vapid description.
That sounds like a swallow-tailed kite. Does it look like this?

Old 05-08-2008, 03:57 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,035 times
jbm - yes, but I didn't remember that it had the black tipped wings, only some black on it's forked tail. I feel confident that this is the bird I've been seeing. Hopefully I'll get a pic.

Thanks to you for sending this pic.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:17 PM

549 posts, read 2,205,640 times
There's several sites where you can get some help...with photos
Birds of North America - Whatbird.com
WhatBird | identify birds | bird identification guide | north america
Or there's bird forums that you can also post ID questions...
Birding Worldwide - BirdForum
WhatBird Forums - Forums

Old 05-09-2008, 09:40 AM

65 posts, read 256,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm32206 View Post
Saw the Osprey againWho then flew over to check out the college
Aahahaha, Egret Goes to College.

I've seen an egret or two (maybe that one?) at UNF. There are little "wading pools" that form every once in a while after rain right around the entrance stoplight (coming from 9A/Town Center) that they like to relax in.

I want to see pug pictures! Man, I am obsessed with pugs. They are so stinkin' cute. Of course, I don't own my own; if I were to get a dog, I'd rescue one from a shelter.

Here's my own wildlife - I actually have two and this one is the more sedentary. I can't get a good picture of the smaller one because she's always running around and camera shy. She's kind of weird - she has no fear of the vacuum and will eat out of my hand and come sniff or nibble on me when I sit on the floor, but refuses to be picked up - I named her Rocket (the black one). This one's Panda, appropriately named for her color pattern and weight/size:

(Rocket)

Also on the subject of wildlife, does anyone know about the Scottish chip thief?

Absolutely love that...how smart.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:24 AM

725 posts, read 2,571,302 times
Default Wildlife Pug

I liked the chip thief video..lol.
Okay, did I hear a request for a Pug photo?

Old 05-09-2008, 11:05 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
That seagull is too funny! Smart bird .

Love the pug-in-a-patch (of flowers), Ryde!

Old 05-09-2008, 11:12 PM

530 posts, read 1,460,557 times
I didnt realize that egrets came into yards like that I was shocked to see one in my back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville