Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:05 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2_3_boys View Post

I'm not quite sure what is going on, because our bill shouldn't be THAT high! JEA wasn't very good at sending our bills anyway! They had them going to the wrong address so we didn't get a bill for almost 2 months! Thankfully I called to ask since we hadn't gotten a bill and owed over $300 and they wanted it all in the next bill!! Weren't very open to spreading them out over a couple months either. But that's another story!

I'm just trying to watch it and see what the next month holds!

Beth
Many years ago, we had high bills from JEA every month and we could not understand why. It turned out that JEA could not read the meter, so they were doing a neighborhood averaging to bill us each month. We use far less than the average for the neighborhood, so we had a huge credit once they figured out the correct billing amount. Might want to find out if they're getting a true meter reading each month .

Also - and I hate to be an alarmist - but if the water portion of your bill is high, it can be an indication of a leak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 02:34 AM

81 posts, read 276,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2_3_boys View Post
We just moved from MD! Our house is 1284 sqft and our electric bill has been CRAZY since we got here in Feb. Our bill last month for water & electric was a little over $200 and we keep the house at 76. We water with well water. I do stay home so someone is home pretty much all day every day.

Our Direct TV bill is about $80, we have the midrange package, 3 receivers, and HD.

The thing that got us the most was our Auto insurance! We have USAA and our insurance was going to more than double a month! We had to increase all our deductables except the newest car and there was something else we took off that helped. Talk with your insurance company about ways to bring it down, and you may want to shop around.

Our phone bill is just under $100/month and we have the AT&T Bundle, home phone w/ unlimited long distance, almost all the calling features like call waiting, caller id, ect. We also have the upgraded DSL, not the fastest, but not the slowest either. And we are supposed to get a discount with DirecTv, but not sure if I've seen that yet.

Like someone else said, they are just starting to bill for trash pickup & stormwater bill that will most likely be about $60.

Welcome to Jax! Hope you like it HOT!!!
Yeah I have that discount thing here in PA, if you have verizon phone, cell phones, and directv you get one, we pay around $240 a month in one bill.
Anyways do you think that it's cheaper to live down south than up here since your from MD? Thanks

Old 05-22-2008, 05:08 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Beth
Call JEA they will come out for free to do a energy audit
We are in 2100 sq feet and our ele bill for the last couple months has been around $145 we keep the A/C around 78

Another thing to keep in mind is where the sun hits your house.
In the afternoon the sun beats on the back of our house which is pretty much windows, it was a challenge to keep the family room cool without freezing the rest of the house
We use 2" blinds and close the curtains when the sun gets to that side of the house , it has helped a lot

to the OP
Our phone is about $50
Property insurance is around $1100/year (USAA)
Cable - $155 per month - we have internet/ 2 computers - and the DVR service & box

Cell - we have the family plan with 3 phones is about $105 per month

Old 05-23-2008, 07:14 PM

43 posts, read 171,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan1977 View Post
Yeah I have that discount thing here in PA, if you have verizon phone, cell phones, and directv you get one, we pay around $240 a month in one bill.
Anyways do you think that it's cheaper to live down south than up here since your from MD? Thanks
That's what we had in MD and I think we paid about the same. I think we are spending more down here though. Directv does a seperate bill, but we are supposed to get a discount. Like I said though, I haven't seen it yet.

As far as utilities, we lived on base up there and didn't pay for those, so I don't know if it's cheaper, but I know we spent a lot less in insurance (auto) and gas!

Beth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: