Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:01 AM

156 posts, read 711,071 times

Advertisements

Shelly, what did you think of Heritage Landing? Are they saying the kids will attend the new schools scheduled to open this summer? I know the final decision has not been made yet, but what are they telling you? Also, do you know what the current CDD and HOA fees are at this time? I've been trying to get a clear answer, but have not yet been able. Thanks! BTW - where in NY are you moving from?? I'm from Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 01:20 AM

8 posts, read 66,116 times
Don't settle in Duval county if you are looking for good schools...

Old 02-08-2007, 03:13 PM

75 posts, read 290,378 times
Lvmy3grls, sorry for the delay responding. I visited Heritage landing briefly. So I really don't have a solid opinion about it. At the time of my visit, I was told that the details of the rezoning had not been finalized. So, no one was able to tell me what areas were zoned for the new schools.

I really like the Julington Creek area but the houses seemed a little small. As I drove through the community, there were quite a few garage doors opened. I noticed how they were jammed packed with dressers and other everyday items. I currently live in North Valley Stream, NY and I wished I had larger closets and more living space. So naturally I'm concerned about not having a basement and having a greatroom verses a familyroom and a separate livingroom. Did you like Heritage Landing over Julington Creek?

The CDD and HOA fees are a mystery to me also. I didn't notice a pattern in the fees from house to house.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:30 PM

8 posts, read 49,207 times
My vote is for clay county-still very affordable, great schools and lots of new construction. Builders in my community are looking to deal and they build beautiful semi-custom homes.

best of luck!

Old 02-10-2007, 07:07 PM

47 posts, read 183,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomich1008 View Post
My vote is for clay county-still very affordable, great schools and lots of new construction. Builders in my community are looking to deal and they build beautiful semi-custom homes.

best of luck!
What community is that? And are CDD fees worth it considering what you get for it?

Old 02-11-2007, 04:38 PM

11 posts, read 53,482 times
Jacksonville, most of Florida, is one of the most dangerous places in the U.S.A.

I raised a family here and would never even consider it now. Please check out the sexual predator listings before you move into any neighborhood Also don't bring more children than you can possibly lift in your arms and throw into your car with one sweep. The corporations here are nightmares and most are leaving to send jobs overseas.

A young lady was murdered a few weeks ago while opening the Animal Hospital were she worked. This was actually in Orange Park which is connected to Jacksonville and use to be a lower crime area.

I would never bring a child into Florida to live. The schools are way over-crowded, the stress level for them is very high. Not very many smiling children around here and you definately won't see them smile at strangers.

I wouldn't accept the view of anyone who use to live in Florida or even my opinion for that matter. Check out the crime rate per the zip code of the area you are considering, scan the predator listings, teach your children six different languages and then consider making the move.

Wow, I am shocking myself with this writing. Florida is a nightmare where every five minutes the television is blaring a commercial for a personal injury attorney. Bless anyone who plans to venture into this territory!

Old 02-11-2007, 05:26 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Fleeing Florida
I am curious where in Jax did you live.
I am sorry you had such a bad experience, I have lived here for 15 years and love it. I can't tell you how many time we have left our cars unlocked without any problems.
Yes like most cities there are bad areas, your suggestion of checking out the areas is what folks need tobe doing.
the best thing people can do is research and visit the areas they are interested in.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:16 AM

156 posts, read 711,071 times
Shelly,
From what I've read, I think the children from Heritage Landing will most likely attend both of the new schools scheduled to open this August as that is one of the closest developments to the school. I think some people quote CDD fees monthly, while others quarterly, and others include the HOA fees in the quotes, and others dont. Basically, CDD and HOA fees will total about $2,000 a year, that's about what we've found out for sure. But, in my opinion, the clubhouse in HL is wonderful, and if you use it, it's well worth the money.
We are scheduled to visit this coming weekend, and will also visit Julington Creek as I've heard a lot about that as well. I think you may be able to get more house for your money in HL as it's an up and coming area, and not yet as established as Julington, so it depends on what you are looking for. Don't forget, with the wonderful weather, the kids will be outside ALL of the time, so don't worry so much if your house seems small. They will be fine!!

Old 02-12-2007, 08:57 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
Don't settle in Duval county if you are looking for good schools...
Really, don't. Northwestern St. Johns County would be my choice if close proximity to job would not be an issue. (Is for me at this time, but knowing what I know now- I would have chosen St. J.)

Old 02-17-2007, 08:03 PM

121 posts, read 786,095 times
IMHO Gainesville trumps Jacksonville in quality of schools, culture, and many other areas. See my comments yesterday to BostonMommy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville