Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:35 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times

Advertisements

Threads like this bring out some of the general ignorance of the population here I think. Posters keep referring to people with tattoos like they're some kind of degenerates or low life's of society. Some of the smartest people I've ever met has had tattoos or piercings (or both), especially those in the technology fields. Go out West or up North. These people are working in multi-million dollar companies with salaries that would make the "suits" here look like a welfare case.

I'm just saying, its never a good idea to judge a book by its cover, ever. Thats all.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:02 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,035 times
Not only that, but the OP has been whining about everything Jax at least as long as I've been on these boards, but doesn't do anything about it. At least Jimbo had the good sense to get out of dodge since he hated it. There's a lot of stuff that probably many of us don't like about Jax, but there's a lot we do like. People that hate a place as much as the OP, and don't get out deserve whatever misery they complain about.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:10 AM

21 posts, read 79,283 times
I agree with most of what videcapio said about J-ville. It's my hometown, but I hate it. It is extremely rednecky, but the worst part is that the good-ole boys who run the town won't allow any real changes to happen there. A lot of the people who built the great amusement parks and other attractions in Florida considered Jacksonville first, but they were treated so badly by the locals, that they went elsewhere. That's why it's so big, bland, and boring-- the people with power want it that way. I don't believe Jacksonville will ever change.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:09 PM

541 posts, read 2,286,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Threads like this bring out some of the general ignorance of the population here I think. Posters keep referring to people with tattoos like they're some kind of degenerates or low life's of society. Some of the smartest people I've ever met has had tattoos or piercings (or both), especially those in the technology fields. Go out West or up North. These people are working in multi-million dollar companies with salaries that would make the "suits" here look like a welfare case.

I'm just saying, its never a good idea to judge a book by its cover, ever. Thats all.
But here the tatoos cover both arms entirely.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:17 PM

541 posts, read 2,286,240 times
Whether you feel as if the list of 38 things I mentioned are good or bad.....you will see them at some point in Jacksonville. I didn't just sit around in my free time and make up a list. I am a busy person, with plenty of things to keep me occupied. Over the past year, I have seen or experienced all 38 things. I just wanted to post a list of those things that do not necessarily appeal to me about Jacksonville so that potential transplants would know.

If they think like I do, then hey I just saved them from a bad move that they would regret. If they like the things on the list and think I am a jerk....who cares....this is just the internet. No harm done....I hope.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:44 PM
rtt

302 posts, read 812,847 times
Vdecapio, its oK. You're just at the wrong stage of life for Jax. Its not edgy or sophisticated or irreverent. As my husband says,"it is what it is" and for many people that's fine. I have a neighbor (not a native but married to one) who said to me once, "Yes, its cheap and easy. There's more to life than that, hopefully". He has a young family and is planning on moving to Boston. He thinks his kids will get better schooling, experiences etc. up there. You sound like the type of person who needs alot more excitement than what this area has to offer, and you should send out some resumes. It'll be better for you elsewhere. This lifestyle is categorically NOT for everyone.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:07 PM

459 posts, read 1,417,602 times
note: i have tattoos. not sleeves, but in other places.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:15 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
Whether you feel as if the list of 38 things I mentioned are good or bad.....you will see them at some point in Jacksonville. I didn't just sit around in my free time and make up a list. I am a busy person, with plenty of things to keep me occupied. Over the past year, I have seen or experienced all 38 things. I just wanted to post a list of those things that do not necessarily appeal to me about Jacksonville so that potential transplants would know.

If they think like I do, then hey I just saved them from a bad move that they would regret. If they like the things on the list and think I am a jerk....who cares....this is just the internet. No harm done....I hope.
Good job on the list!

Old 06-20-2008, 01:36 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
LOL...c'mon, we're taking these guys too seriously.

Actually I don't mind hearing from people who say they hate Jacksonville. Hell, we can't be all loving it here, it wouldn't be normal. The important thing is people keep moving into Jacksonville from up north, down south, out west. Haven't heard of anybody retiring to NJ lately, have you? If these guys weren't such a tiny minority I'd start to worry.

As it is, I actually always enjoy Jimbo's lines. He's hilarious. Should be in standup, seriously. (tattoos in other places.)

The other guy, vdecapio is somewhat scary though. He reminds me of the guy at Virginia Tech standing in the doorway yelling, "hey, don't go in there, they're shooting up the place!" Scary with the list!

The other guys I ignore but at least these two are entertaining.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:03 PM

459 posts, read 1,417,602 times
thanks, cricketguy. i actually did move (escape) jax to come to chicago and do improv at second city, you must have the gift of ESP. i think vdecapio means well and likes venting and perhaps stirring the pot a little, as do i. there are people in this public forum (where differing opinions should be welcome) that take him and i too seriously. you can clown on chicago all you want to, i'm not gonna get all huffy about it. lighten up, wear looser panties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville