Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 29,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locinstall View Post
what should I do about people parking in front of my mail box?

Did you ever solve this serious problem? I have the same problem!! What are the legal rules, how far should cars park from curbside mailboxes. I live on a crowded cul de sac. My neighbor has 5 vehicles, and thinks he owns the street!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 07:09 AM

754 posts, read 2,815,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i want peace View Post
Did you ever solve this serious problem? I have the same problem!! What are the legal rules, how far should cars park from curbside mailboxes. I live on a crowded cul de sac. My neighbor has 5 vehicles, and thinks he owns the street!!
Call the cops and tell them what's going on. See what they tell you, then report back here so that we will know how to deal with jackwagons like your neighbor, too.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:14 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
This seems to fall in the category of "there ought to be a law". There's a post office rule that says the postman won't deliver the mail unless the mailbox is unobstructed - but it says it's the homeowner's responsibility to keep the area clear. There's a state statute that says you can't block a rural mailbox on a state road during various hours - but that doesn't seem to apply here. Various homeowners' associations have rules - and some municipalities have rules - but JAX doesn't seem to have any rules (didn't check St. Johns or Clay).

I Want Peace - First thing I would do if a friendly talk with the neighbor didn't work (I'd try that first) is I'd park my car in front of his mailbox. Perhaps the carrier won't deliver his mail a few times and he'll get the message. Another thing that might help. Explain the situation to the carrier - give him/her a big tip - and see if you can arrange a convenient place for the carrier to leave your mail.

A possible solution to blocks with problems like this (small blocks with lots of cars) is installing a commercial type multi-user locked mailbox that meets post office regulations somewhere on the street - and have everyone agree not to park there (set it up as a non-parking zone) and to have their mail delivered there. My father's townhouse community has this kind of set-up - and it works pretty well.

FWIW - we have car issues in our community too (although not with mailboxes). Why do people have so many cars (we have households with 2 adults where people own 4-5 cars)? Robyn

Old 07-26-2011, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 21,248 times
WOW! We're going through the same with our carrier. We get little nasty notes in our mailbox almost once every 2 weeks. I've noticed it all depends on who the carrier is. My car is parked 9 feet away from the mailbox so I know it's not obstructing his way. So why the note? Sometimes it isn't even my car parked in front. I have no control over that!! What about when they deliver my mail to the street next to mine or when they deliver my neighbors mail to my house(this happens often). Thank goodness we have a decent neighborhood or we may never see some of our mail. If a policy did exist then it would be clear cut on both sides, but until then carriers should get over it.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:54 PM

147 posts, read 286,615 times
The carrier is not going to get over it. He/She will just continue to by-pass your box when the access to it is blocked. Unless the LLV(much bigger than a jeep) the carrier is driving can safely pull up to your box without having to back in and out or make difficult maneuvers. You will not get your mail that day. But you will get your mail and a "nasty gram" the next day your box is accessible. Unless its a package that won't fit in your box or something requiring a signature like Express, registered or certified mail, a carrier will not get out of the vehicle to put mail in your box. On a designated driving route. The driving route is timed for the carrier to drive up and put mail in the box not run all over Gods green earth trying to put mail in blocked boxes. So NO the driver will not get over it in fact he won't really think about it until he gets back to the station and has to fill out the little "nasty gram" in triplicate explaining why your mail was not delivered that day because he is accountable for it, until it is delivered. My younger brother is a mail carrier in St Louis, thats where I got the info.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:02 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunknballer21 View Post
The USPS motto is "through rain, sleet, or snow..."
This is NOT the USPS motto.

The famous quote "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" is just an inscription the architect put on the New York City Post Office building.

Wiki article

Old 05-15-2012, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 21,528 times
Frankly I agree that these new lazy carriers are only hastening their own demise by complaining about parked cars blocking access to mail boxes. As long as those cars are legally parked they have NO legal recourse and cannot stop mail service until they bring up the issue with the local postmaster who then can alone make that decision. In many if not most communities street parking is legal and necessary and unless the USPS can get the area in front of each curbside box painted red they must deliver the mail period! In the case such as ours where the carrier complains that a parked car blocks access to the walkway that leads to our wall mounted mail box, he needs to find a new job and do so soon!

In any event mails carriers are all soon to become the current lamplighters of yesterday!

Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 AM

199 posts, read 468,883 times
Who wants the mail any way? It's just SPAM and bills.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 20,476 times
Most people don't realize how difficult it can be to get around hazards without hitting a car, trash can, toy or anything that is in the way daily. I had a basketball net caught on the top bolt of my mirror. I pulled the goal over and broke my mirror and damaged the goal. I have gone around this basketball goal many times with no problem. I don't know if a gust of wind blew or I was millimeters closer to it than I have been every other day, but it happened. Now I have to explain myself and am being punished for this. Rural carriers are not supposed to exit their vehicle to deliver mail and may not be covered by workers compensation if they do so without approval. No one ever thinks that all the stretching pulling and twisting does to a carriers body. I'm 50 and have a double neck fusion, 2 bulging lower back discs, sciatica, carpal tunnels both hands, and shoulder problems. 20 years of this will do this to a carrier. Not lazy just trying to preserve my body for later years.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:59 PM

16 posts, read 58,090 times
I agree..just try your best to park elsewhere. No they don't have time to unbuckle..place parking breaks..remove key etc just to deliver mail to anyone. They have a million stops to make and yes this slows them down.imagine your neighbor kids leaving their bikes laying in your driveway and you can't pull in. You got to do all the things the carrier has to do AND get out and move the bike. You would be VERY angry wouldn't you? You really don't want retailiation towards your vehicle so just move your car ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville