Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:45 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times

Advertisements

I'm ok if the inspection stations are run by the counties. In NC, you went and got your inspection done at a garage. Talk about a conflict of interest if there is one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
There is no statistical evidence that I can find to prove that vehicle inspections actually improve road safety. However, there is no question that the policy is a pretty important revenue generator for states. I am not sure that the policy is all that popular with service stations either considering the costly investments they are required to make in detection equipment.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:33 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
So I have not posted in awhile just to see where this thread went. I can see that for the most part most like Jax, but some don't but coming from Charlotte I have seen some of the best and worst a city has to offer. Schools are a joke in CLT, the park system is MEH at best, sprawl here is beyond horrible, the water here tastes like your drinking from a hose(has that plastic/horrible taste), traffic is HORRIBLE anytime, the people are rude, and the city has such an uppity feeling of were the best for no reason. Plus the taxes are out of this world. Imagine paying taxes on your car every year, inspections every year, taxes on your pay check, and just everyone wants their hand in your pocket in this city.

This is an interesting post. What it says is that the grass is not always greener on the other side. There are a few people on the fringes of this forum (and you know who you are) who will never accept that Jacksonville with all its problems may not be the worst. Read their posts and you would almost think that Jacksonville is like purgatory right before you descend into hell. Well, the real hell might well be on the other side. Funny thing is when I visit other CD forums I find posters there too wrestling with the same problems, crime, education, COL, traffic, taxes, sprawl, etc.

For people who are thinking of moving to Jax the trick is to distinguish real factual information about this city from all the other noise. Forget those who are always ready to dismiss any news article or report or data that says anything even slightly favorable about Jax. IMO,you can usually tell which posts to believe - the ones balancing the negatives with the positives, and the ones who are willing to talk about solutions. All the rest is just noise.

Last edited by cricketfan; 10-16-2009 at 12:14 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 12:12 PM

589 posts, read 850,899 times
Gomer's right.

We shouldn't throw too many personal opinions around. Everything should be backed up by facts and studies.

A few of those interesting facts can be found in the lastest FolioWeekly survey.

http://www.folioweekly.com/documents/main101309.pdf

Page 2: School funding cuts, when Florida already ranks 50th out of 50 states in per capita student school funding.

Page 3: Jacksonville has the highest pre capita crime rate in the state for ten consecutive years.

Please direct all delusional rebutals to the 'anti Jacksonville" folks over at Folio Weekly.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:29 PM

627 posts, read 1,295,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
This is an interesting post. What it says is that the grass is not always greener on the other side. There are a few people on the fringes of this forum (and you know who you are) who will never accept that Jacksonville with all its problems may not be the worst. Read their posts and you would almost think that Jacksonville is like purgatory right before you descend into hell. Well, the real hell might well be on the other side. Funny thing is when I visit other CD forums I find posters there too wrestling with the same problems, crime, education, COL, traffic, taxes, sprawl, etc.

For people who are thinking of moving to Jax the trick is to distinguish real factual information about this city from all the other noise. Forget those who are always ready to dismiss any news article or report or data that says anything even slightly favorable about Jax. IMO,you can usually tell which posts to believe - the ones balancing the negatives with the positives, and the ones who are willing to talk about solutions. All the rest is just noise.

Amen! I go on the Local News websites on a weekly basis and from what I have taken in, Jax is not HALF as bad as where I am coming from and where I have been.

I understand the opposing view but it just doesn't apply to, nor does it phase me. I already have friends so I don't need to make anymore. I am just a like-able type of person. Even the thugs on my block look at me with respect and greet me as "O.G." - "Original Gangster". LOL!!! I don't even speak to anyone! But I guess thugs know who they can be thuggish with and who is not intimidated by them.

I'm from the "hood" and at times I had to become "hood" but I am NOT a "hood".

I create my own path.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:30 PM

23 posts, read 56,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Gomer's right.

We shouldn't throw too many personal opinions around. Everything should be backed up by facts and studies.

A few of those interesting facts can be found in the lastest FolioWeekly survey.

http://www.folioweekly.com/documents/main101309.pdf

Page 2: School funding cuts, when Florida already ranks 50th out of 50 states in per capita student school funding.

Page 3: Jacksonville has the highest pre capita crime rate in the state for ten consecutive years.

Please direct all delusional rebutals to the 'anti Jacksonville" folks over at Folio Weekly.
Cricket is right. It is not that your facts and studies are wrong, it is that you always seem to go out of your way to find the most negative ones when there are also some very positive stories to tell about Jacksonville living.

I clicked on "find all posts by Nomad58" just to see where your head is at. I do that sometimes when I am curious about a poster. I could not find any post by you that said anything good about Jacksonville. Nobody likes a negative message but a negative messenger is worse. Like Cricket said it is all about balance.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:06 PM

What? Why does there have to be balance? I don't see that in the rules. I think that the only thing that there has to be is honesty.

Unfortunately, when it comes to Jax crime stats, and school performance, honesty and negativity have to go hand in hand.

Now, if you want to talk St. Augustine, our Parks system, or our recreational opportunities, (just to name a few right of the top of my head) I would be happy to be unbalanced in a positive mode.

Parker, It's not about balance. It's all about honesty. Until we're ready to be honest with ourselves about our problems and realities, we aren't going to be able to ever reach our true potential. And, it's when those truths make us the most uncomfortable that we need to be the most honest with ourselves.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:09 PM

627 posts, read 1,295,879 times
In Philadelphia there is a neighborhood called Northern Liberties.

10 years ago, you could not walk through that neighborhood as it was infested with all that is bad in a neighborhood... drugs, prostitution, etc.

Because of its proximity to Center City, people took an interest in the area and invested in it.

If you saw the place today, you would not believe the stories told of its past.

That is just one small area where people decided they were going to take back their neighbohoods from those who don't have pride nor integrity.

I believe Northwest Jacksonville can be "taken back", but it's going to take time and the will of the people to do it.

But that's just me

Old 10-16-2009, 10:04 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
There is no statistical evidence that I can find to prove that vehicle inspections actually improve road safety. However, there is no question that the policy is a pretty important revenue generator for states. I am not sure that the policy is all that popular with service stations either considering the costly investments they are required to make in detection equipment.
FL needs to do something. There are too many people here driving around on bald tires and no brakes.

Every other state we have lived in has had car inspections. It also creates jobs and helps the economy and local businesses.

Too many have money for booze and cigarettes but can't keep their car maintained.

I'm not for big govt. but it is a joke here.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 PM

Dublin,

You might already know this, but we used to have inspections.

For years, there was discussion back and forth about whether we needed it, whether it was effective, etc.

Then one day when Bob Graham was Governor, his wife went to get their own personal car inspected, and she got jerked around by the inspection station.

One week later, no more inspections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville