Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,813 times

Advertisements

The markdowns are great, but the whole world has caught on so you have to go early. Oh, and one thing that has changed unfortunately at Macy's for men is that they no longer carry a regular stock of clothing for "fit" men outside of the trendy/hip-hop brands. If you're a more traditional guy and you are in shape you might have to order online. The last two times I have gone to Macy's for smaller button downs and shorts that fit they were out. I enquired why there were so many shirts with 17 and up neck sizes and 34/35 and up arm lengths and nothing smaller (and for shorts waist size 36 and up and length 11 and up, i.e. big and baggy) and they said there was no longer enough demand for the smaller fits. Sad, because I'm 5'10 and I work out so I'm in shape, and I guess I'm so much in the minority for what I would consider regular size clothing that I have to special order!

Dillards has good clearance sales, though. I don't think they have "markdowns" like Macy's (because personally I think Dillards is slightly more upscale, at least the nice ones), but out of season wear is a great time to buy. I bought a $500 leather jacket at Dillards in early spring for $150 once! I also bought a Kenneth Cole shirt and Daniel Cremiuex (that's a decent brand carried at Dillards and nowhere else) for a combined price of around $30 (msrp well over $100). Too bad I was young and didn't realize how ugly the shirt was, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 10:52 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
I think The Avenues would be the best place for The Macys, I think SJTC woulb be better with another department store.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Ha well I can't tell the difference between a nice Dillard's and a nice Macy's except that the Dillard's looks nicer on the inside. These are the only two department stores I routinely shop at as at my age the others are too much for my budget and a little too "fashionable" for my taste.

Dillard's is the nicest department store in Jax metro, unfortunately, but you may be very pleasantly surprised by the Dillard's at SJTC and at the Avenues. The one at SJTC is definitely above any Macy's I have been in (and many Macy's are actually crap since they were once Burdines or Rich's or any number of former local department stores).

When the economy picks up (and maybe before) SJTC phase III will have a Neiman Marcus and probably a Nordstrom, but you may have to wait a few years.

Even without having all the department stores here you can find just about whatever you're looking for because there are plenty of boutiques that sell the same merchandise scattered throughout town.
I co sign most of this!...Dillards is better than Macys, but I think because its not based in New York City. Macys gets more love mainly do to that. I think it would cool if someone created an exclusive department store that caters to needs & wants of the Jacksonville Metro, so exclusive folks from St Johns, Nassua & Clay visit it often, hey maybe Camden & Baker might get in on the action.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:51 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liwo View Post
Robyn, I am curious as to what you mean by shopping bags that proselytize.
If you click on the "Why We Hate Forever 21" link I pasted above - you'll see a picture of a shopping bag. New testament citation on the bottom. Same kind of thing Tim Tebow painted on his face. Same thing that's in Edward's pie tins. Same thing that we see (unfortunately) in the FTU. Robyn

Old 11-18-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Dillards - Belk - nothing as good as Macy's. Robyn
Belk has been trying to rebrand themselves the past few months. Macys is NOT better than Dillards maybe a tie, but presentation wise is not better. When is the last time you were in Belk anyway?

Old 11-18-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I went to Macys in NYC a few years ago and I wasn't impressed, it was nothing but a fancy Dillards with hardwood floors. It's highly over-rated IMO.
Meh, its just another shopping option an option Jacksonville does not have yet.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:30 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,277,446 times
my mother loves Macys so I hope it opens!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:44 AM

Macys has some great sales for the holidays.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:38 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
What was that dept store where FCCJ moved into at Baymeadows and Southside? Grand Avenue Mall I think..now to me that was unaffordable but until a few years ago all I wore was fatigues and boots now its jeans and boots... LOL (ohhh and a ball cap) went to visit my mother in Naples Fl. and I took her shopping OMG ive never been to such a fancy Mall felt way underdressed and I was wearing a nice golf shirt and slacks...LOL

Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,813 times
Jacobson's. Jacobson's was a Michigan based department store that was higher end, sort of, but the whole company filed for Chapter 11 in 2002 and was unable to find a buyer. It liquidated all of it stores. The re-use for that Baymeadows location as an FSCJ campus is perfect, and is quite a progressive re-use for our city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville