Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:58 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times

Advertisements

Unprofessional and nasty go hand in hand with many recruiters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 05:58 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
If someone wants to be a temp that bad, just find a list of companies and contact them yourself. Offer your services on a temp basis and guess what: there's no agency or commission fees for the company client to pay. Who wouldn't be happy about saving money in this economy? These cheap and overly picky employers make Scrooge look like a Mother Theresa.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:37 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
If someone wants to be a temp that bad, just find a list of companies and contact them yourself. Offer your services on a temp basis and guess what: there's no agency or commission fees for the company client to pay. Who wouldn't be happy about saving money in this economy? These cheap and overly picky employers make Scrooge look like a Mother Theresa.
Companies that use temp agencies are going to use them. They aren't going to hire a temp on their own.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Companies that use temp agencies are going to use them. They aren't going to hire a temp on their own.
Agreed it is also a shell game. They aren't my employees; they're the employee of Acme temp agency so I don't have to do tax forms, pay benefits, unemployment insurance, Social Security, offer COBRA, I'm not firing them I'm just not renewing the contract with Acme temp agency etc. They have legal shelter by having the temp working via a different company.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
... they can't be killed

I recently sent an e-mail to a recruiter asking her please don't contact me again because you're incompetent. What do you know, the bottom-feeder just called me and left a message "please call me back so we can work through this".

I don't get it, do I have to sue them?
Similar thing in this country, at least in my experience. I was unemployed in the summer and must have had eight or ten phone calls/e-mails from these vermin promising me a job, and whenever I rang them back it would always almost without exception be "Oh, James/Rebecca etc isn't available at the moment, he/she'll ring you back..." - yeah right!

The funniest it got was when I went for an interview for a market research job (not what I ideally wanted, but so close to my house/easy money) in the morning, then they rang me back in the afternoon telling me I'd got the job starting tomorrow, and they'd e-mail the details later. They didn't e-mail me anything at all, but I got up the next morning, got ready for work and rang them first thing asking for the precise address, etc, only for the idiots to tell me I actually didn't have the job after all, and they had sent an e-mail all about it, only they'd sent it to a complete stranger who just happened to have the same first name as me
I just burst out laughing and thanked them for at least amusing me and giving me an anecdote about how ALL recruiters are a bunch of USELESS WANKERS!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
... they can't be killed

I recently sent an e-mail to a recruiter asking her please don't contact me again because you're incompetent. What do you know, the bottom-feeder just called me and left a message "please call me back so we can work through this".

I don't get it, do I have to sue them?
Sounds like your just frustrated with your job search. recruiters ahve to deal with a lot of people and probabyl just didnt realize she keeps calling you, she probably has an auto dialer or a list to go down.

You have no case even if you wanted to sue and since your looking for work you probably shouldn't waste your savings on baseless lawsuits.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:16 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
If you don't want to work with one, then don't. Just say that you'd prefer they not contact you. There's no need to be unprofessional and nasty.
Did you not bother to read the OP??? They said they sent an email telling the recruiter they did not want to work with her.

And she calls anyway wanting to discuss how they can "work together", some people are pushy, and nice and polite doesn't always work.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:26 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Similar thing in this country, at least in my experience. I was unemployed in the summer and must have had eight or ten phone calls/e-mails from these vermin promising me a job, and whenever I rang them back it would always almost without exception be "Oh, James/Rebecca etc isn't available at the moment, he/she'll ring you back..." - yeah right!

The funniest it got was when I went for an interview for a market research job (not what I ideally wanted, but so close to my house/easy money) in the morning, then they rang me back in the afternoon telling me I'd got the job starting tomorrow, and they'd e-mail the details later. They didn't e-mail me anything at all, but I got up the next morning, got ready for work and rang them first thing asking for the precise address, etc, only for the idiots to tell me I actually didn't have the job after all, and they had sent an e-mail all about it, only they'd sent it to a complete stranger who just happened to have the same first name as me
I just burst out laughing and thanked them for at least amusing me and giving me an anecdote about how ALL recruiters are a bunch of USELESS WANKERS!

Old 01-27-2011, 07:04 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Unprofessional and nasty go hand in hand with many recruiters.
Actually that goes hand in hand with people in many lines of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
My first response is that not all recruiters are - between 6 recruiters I spoke with in the second half of December, four of them got me to final interviews - all within three weeks since I got laid off from my last position. So not all of them are "useless".

However, in reading the several threads on here bashing recruiters, I do need to ask a question: For those of you who have obviously had negative experiences with recruiters, what type of positions are these for? I'm wondering if the disconnect between my own (mostly positive) experiences with recruiters (similar to other colleagues of mine) and the bad experiences people are posting about on here may have to do with a difference in the industry that I am in.

Its a sincere question - in discussing my own recent experiences with some of you other posters on the topic, I may very well be comparing apples and pumpkins.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:48 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,949,264 times
I don't have much problem with recruiters, either. Some handle their jobs better than others. Most that I've worked with are mediocre, but one managed to get me into a final interview, and another is really pulling some strings to get my foot through the door tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search