Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:49 AM

573 posts, read 971,249 times

Advertisements

Keep the 2nd interview. Working in a legal office may have opportunities that are not available in a customer service environment.

I would not want you to lose the 2nd opportunity, but mentioning the other job offer may help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:58 AM

49 posts, read 188,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
Keep the 2nd interview. Working in a legal office may have opportunities that are not available in a customer service environment.

I would not want you to lose the 2nd opportunity, but mentioning the other job offer may help.
I just had the interview today. I didn't mention the other job. It's not really the kind of place that is desperate for one perfect candidate over another - it's pretty entry level and they don't really advertise for positions, it's usually through word of mouth by other employees. I don't think mentioning the other job would have helped in this situation. I just wish she could get me a salary offer faster She said she wants to talk to one of the main lawyers to see how much she can get me. I just hope she is serious and not just giving the run around and I get a rejection letter later. It seemed all good though! Already sent my thank you note and all....

Old 03-10-2011, 01:49 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_earth View Post
I just had the interview today. I didn't mention the other job. It's not really the kind of place that is desperate for one perfect candidate over another - it's pretty entry level and they don't really advertise for positions, it's usually through word of mouth by other employees. I don't think mentioning the other job would have helped in this situation. I just wish she could get me a salary offer faster She said she wants to talk to one of the main lawyers to see how much she can get me. I just hope she is serious and not just giving the run around and I get a rejection letter later. It seemed all good though! Already sent my thank you note and all....
God said you can have the offer if you promise to quit smoking. He says if you quit smoking your budget will be able to handle the lesser pay than the other offer and your kid will have a better life.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:15 PM

Just an update on this thread....supposedly according to my friend who was trying to get me the job with her at the legal office, they are just taking a long time to get back to me with salary and start date, they did the same to her, they are just really busy and some times people end up waiting weeks to a month or two before starting.

Well, I couldn't wait anymore, I got an official offer for the customer service job, passed the background check and drug test, and start tomorrow. It's on a Friday because their pay schedule is Friday through Thursday (strange).

I can't wait around for the other job AT ALL - it's hard enough to get a job as it is right now and I had completely run out of UE and money. So, I am lucky. Start tomorrow, actually get about a dollar more than the job I was laid off from - so another 'lucky' point - I don't have to take a pay cut like a lot of people are right now. For now I'm gonna stick with it and see how I like it. It's worth giving a chance and sounds like I will end up making pretty good money there. I honestly hate customer service, but I can just look at it as an office/admin job where I just have deal with customers, kinda trick my mind - I'm not a customer service rep. I'm in an office, on a computer, and that's what I like about it. Lol, good enough, it is a job, I am excited! Especially to see this first paycheck!

Old 03-31-2011, 02:33 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
Quote:
Just got back from the interview! The company and the job sound AMAZING. Unbelievable! I will most likely have to take a pay cut, as opposed to raise like the other job, but there is so much room to move around and grow unlike the other place.

The benefits of the company are sooooo great. You can work overtime for extra money, there is always work to be done, you can come in on Saturdays (its all voluntary, not mandatory), work through lunches, plus the benefits are CHEAP CHEAP (company pays a big portion) - it all adds up in the end! CASUAL dress (in a law office too!). You can smoke whenever you want, however many times you want, you just have to clock out for those few minutes. You get paid for whatever time you are on the clock.

Just computer work, paperwork, typing, filing, no crazy customers. So, I'm just waiting for a salary offer. I might hear something between now and Monday but definitely by next Thursday, and could start immediately. Please god please. I don't want to be stuck in customer service!!!!!!!!!!!!
But a recent report showed customer service as one of the five happiest jobs. No, I don't believe it either.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:44 PM

LOL tell me about it. I hate it. BUT - I might not...

It is business to business, so I'm not dealing with grumpy old ladies at home with nothing better to do than complain. I'm dealing with purchasing agents, which is what my old job was, so I will at least have a good understanding of what they are going through on the other side. A lot of orders will come through by email and fax, this company ships most items within one day, very rare for back orders. It might not be so bad. Guess I will find out! Start tomorrow...

Old 04-01-2011, 04:42 PM

had my first day today, don't like it at all The people are ok but it is absolutely not somewhere I want to be for long. Aside from the fact I despise customer service and phones, the place is really small, there is nowhere to move or grow/get promoted, I'd be a CSR forever. It's sooooo dirty there, they use AS400 and I can't stand it, I'm the only smoker in the office so I feel like an outcast and have to go outside by myself, I'm the youngest one there, they are way older. I don't fit in at all. I am soooo gonna keep looking :/ Of course I'll stay till I find something else, it is kind of saving my life right now, but oh man I am gonna try to find something else :/

Old 04-01-2011, 04:49 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,883 times
I thought the other job you wanted is still pending...?
So you might be able to quit this job a few weeks from now when they get back to you with an offer?

Old 04-02-2011, 03:40 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
had my first day today, don't like it at all The people are ok but it is absolutely not somewhere I want to be for long. Aside from the fact I despise customer service and phones, the place is really small, there is nowhere to move or grow/get promoted, I'd be a CSR forever. It's sooooo dirty there, they use AS400 and I can't stand it, I'm the only smoker in the office so I feel like an outcast and have to go outside by myself, I'm the youngest one there, they are way older. I don't fit in at all. I am soooo gonna keep looking :/ Of course I'll stay till I find something else, it is kind of saving my life right now, but oh man I am gonna try to find something else :/
Why don't you try and focus on the fact that you got a job just as your UE benefits were about to run out?

And give it some time, you can't decide in one day if you hate it or not.

The other thing it is work not a sorority. So what if they're older than you.

It sounds like you're more interested in the law firm because you said you can smoke as much as you want, dress casual, and your friends work there.

Hardly what you would call goal oriented.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Why don't you try and focus on the fact that you got a job just as your UE benefits were about to run out?

And give it some time, you can't decide in one day if you hate it or not.

The other thing it is work not a sorority. So what if they're older than you.

It sounds like you're more interested in the law firm because you said you can smoke as much as you want, dress casual, and your friends work there.

Hardly what you would call goal oriented.
You are completely wrong....this place is also casual, I can also smoke when I want, I just don't feel like I fit in. AND I COMPLETELY DESPISE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND PHONES!

I wanted the other job because there is room to grow and get promoted, actually make a career out of it, this one I'm at now is very small and I'd be a CSR for life. I'm looking for something else regardless if I get the legal job or not. It's good for now, grateful I am getting paid a decent amount, it could be worse. But no way am I staying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search