Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 03:10 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
There is a real disconnect between the concepts of want and need...
the sooner this can be overcome the better for you all.
What specifically are you getting at? I'm not clear on the point you're trying to make as it pertains to this thread? Are you saying that it's wrong to lie on your resume or are you in the group that agrees that you need to do what you have to do to get a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 03:24 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
What specifically are you getting at? I'm not clear on the point you're trying to make as it pertains to this thread? Are you saying that it's wrong to lie on your resume or are you in the group that agrees that you need to do what you have to do to get a job?
The resume is about what you want... your future. Wonderful.
Honor that future with honesty but recognize it as the "want" it is.

WORK is about eating. Today. This week.
This is a need; an actual unequivocal need.

You don't send out resume's to get work to eat off of.
You stand in the parking lot at home dept to find WORK when you need it.

Is that clearer?
Do you understand now?

Old 05-28-2011, 03:25 PM

70 posts, read 299,471 times
lie on your resume....

Old 05-28-2011, 03:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Mr Rational you just don't get it. I feel sorry for you. I cannot take you seriously. You aren't so "Rational" after all.

Ignore list perhaps? Yes, I believe I will instead of continuing to read nonsensical people and their ignorance.
Notice how he didn't respond to my post about too many people competing for those minimum wage jobs?

There were 300 jobs and over 5,000 applicants.

Or how does a middle aged college educated professional get one of those jobs unless they lie through their teeth?

I will listen to another POV that is different than mine when they can answer the questions posed.

But when they don't respond it just shows they're not thinking through what they're writing or they lack basic logic.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:52 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
The fact remains is that EVERYONE lies and anyone that says they don't is a liar.
I guess you have to tell yourself that to make you feel better....

Old 05-28-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Notice how he didn't respond to my post about too many people competing for those minimum wage jobs?
But when they don't respond it just shows they're not thinking through what they're writing or they lack basic logic.
or they went outside to turn off the hose.

But you're right I'm NOT addressing your specific lament...
or at least not in the way you're choosing to phrase them and especially not the specific examples your citing.

I completely get how tough it is out there. I really do.
I'm not claiming to have answers but I do claim some perspective that too many don't seem to.
---

As to the rest of the misunderstanding... all of the various personal pronouns that might be used in a given post...
even "you" doesn't mean any particular statement is directed at anyone in particular.

As regards getting WORK... which may or may not be a regularized job, on a regular payroll, completely crappy, or something else entirely, until something else breaks loose in the market?
that middle aged college educated professional has to step outside their area of experience and do something else.

You don't have to like this reality.
But that won't change it from being so.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:57 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

There were 300 jobs and over 5,000 applicants.

Or how does a middle aged college educated professional get one of those jobs unless they lie through their teeth?

I will listen to another POV that is different than mine when they can answer the questions posed.

That's why I have chosen to not read any more of their nonsensical posts. They are virtually clueless and cannot be that dense

He isn't the only one I ignored.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:15 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The OP has access to a computer and the internet and doesn't seem to be in danger of starving.
Anyone can access the internet at a public library - even homeless people. So how do you know he/she isn't starving or facing homelessness? I don't advocate lying on a resume, but let's not pretend to know their whole situation.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:21 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Employers know what the reality is. They get it.
They'll understand the 3-6 week gap here and there just fine.

But when there is more?
Then they begin to question all sorts of other things about you and your values.
I had a 6-month gap on my resume, when I was hired for a new job in February... in fact, I've had many gaps on my resume (due to school, temp jobs, etc), and it's never kept me from finding employment. Perhaps it scared off a few employers, but eventually you find one who doesn't care - if you can explain the gaps logically, and have enough good qualities to offer.

Quote:
The only thing worse than not showing the initiative and responsibility of accepting even a crappy gotta pay the rent somehow job... is to show yourself to be a liar.
Now that, I agree with... not to mention, I'm just too afraid of getting caught! It's one thing to "creatively explain" why you left/lost a job, but making up companies & dates is crossing the line IMO.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I had a 6-month gap on my resume...
in fact, I've had many gaps on my resume
I have as well.

Quote:
and it's never kept me from finding employment.
Me either.
The early-mid 80's were very rough for a lot of people too.

Quote:
if you can explain the gaps logically, and have enough good qualities to offer.
Agreed. Comments don't always make every point 100%.
When you are asked things like: "so, what were you doing during that time?" or "how did you pay your rent and eat?...
you need an answer that is at least plausible, implies responsibility and ideally... is 100% true.

But! and this is perhaps the larger point in this...
that job you were/are doing to hold it together doesn't have to be even remotely related to the career position that you're applying for now.

Which raises the other point I've alluded to:
Too many seem locked in to the idea that what they went to school for or what they used to earn a living doing... is the limit or what they can allow themselves to do now.

Extending from this... is the notion that the salaries and benefit packages associated with the career positions that education was supposed to garner... will actually happen anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search