Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:24 AM

615 posts, read 1,523,134 times

Advertisements

I've got 3 interviews lined up, all at Tech companies.

Now, I've been in the defense industry, DoD, Military etc. for the last 10 years. Traditionally, I'd always wear a suit, no question about it. But one of the places says to "dress as yourself, suits don't impress us".

I've been disconnected from the private tech companies for 10 years. What's proper etiquette?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 09:19 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
I think the term "dress for success" is always true. It shows respect for the interview. Nice shoes, slacks, shirt , tie, jacket and always have a pen. I mean, granted they hire the person who is the best fit, but I'd rather be dressed too nicely then too poorly. It may just be what tips the scale.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:23 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,425 times
Dress as Yourself--Suits Don't Impress...means...We are a cool hip trendy work location (allegedly). I'd wear a suit...which means...I'm a professional, I work and work hard, wearing ripped jeans and converse sneakers is nice...but I'm here to work and make this company money.

Don't be fooled by Gen X/Y Managers...talk a good game, but when it comes down to it--they are looking for hardworking professionals regardless of whether they own a pair of Vans and Black-Eyed Pea concert t-shirt.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:27 AM

Exactly what I thought. I wear a suit everyday for work, as I deal with external customers daily... but I don't care where I worked, if a person came in to interview with me and didn't have a suit, I'd immediately think they weren't serious about it.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:51 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I would stop by and observe what others are wearing. Many times it is about fitting in. The key is to dress better than them. You are going there to impress them remember. Their are some corporate cultures where a suit won't make it and chances are they won't see you as being a part of their team. Still if everyone is wearing flip flops, jeans, and t shirts, you still would want to wear shoes, a shirt that buttons up and a nice pair of pants. You want to work there but you don't work there yet.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I would stop by and observe what others are wearing. Many times it is about fitting in. The key is to dress better than them. You are going there to impress them remember. Their are some corporate cultures where a suit won't make it and chances are they won't see you as being a part of their team. Still if everyone is wearing flip flops, jeans, and t shirts, you still would want to wear shoes, a shirt that buttons up and a nice pair of pants. You want to work there but you don't work there yet.
Particularly difficult when the place you're interviewing at, is 3,000 miles away :-P

Old 06-25-2011, 10:52 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Exactly what I thought. I wear a suit everyday for work, as I deal with external customers daily... but I don't care where I worked, if a person came in to interview with me and didn't have a suit, I'd immediately think they weren't serious about it.
What you care about, where you've worked before and your personal philosophy on how candidates should dress is fine if you are the hiring manager. You are the candidate. They said "suits don't impress..."

In my previous job, we told candidates to come in business casual. Some show up in suits trying to show us how professional they are and it backfired. It showed they did not follow directions or second guessed what they were explicitly told. These were IT positions.

Quote:
Particularly difficult when the place you're interviewing at, is 3,000 miles away :-P
A visit, or questions about what to wear shouldn't even be an issue since they addressed it in the ad posting. If you're that uncomfortable, pick up the phone and call them. Tell them you are interviewing and typically wear suits and would like clarification on what the "dress as yourself," means.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:12 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
It sounds like you'd be most comfortable (most yourself) wearing a suit to an interview. That says something about you. So, wear a suit. It also sounds like you don't know a lot about this company. If you're willing to travel 3k miles for an interview (or to move there after a web-cam interview), then it probably makes sense to find a little more out about them. It could that even if they think you're a good fit for them, that you won't find them to be a good fit for you. Corporate culture can make a big difference to job satisfaction.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:29 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
While I agree with the above posters, a long-sleeved poll shirt with chunks and a sports coat is an acceptable choice. Loaders, and you're good to go. You can immediately take off the coat if everyone else is really casual.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:41 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Will you be visiting the place for an interview? Why not visit in advance. I am thinking show up the day before and check the place out. Will they be flying you out? Another option if that won't work is find out if anyone in the organization is on Linkedin. Send questions to those that work there or have in the past. Look at the corporate website and see what kind of clothes they wear on there. Call anonomously and ask that way. If you are in the interview process now I would think you would have found out a lot about this company by now.

My thoughts on any given company are directed toward doing your homework long before the interview process. How do you even know that you want to work at that company? As an employer they are going to be looking into you to see if you would be a good fit. You have a responsability to do the same with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search