Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:09 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,826 times

Advertisements

I am just newly unemployed and have been hitting all the online sites for jobs. A couple things that I have found annoy me about Monster.com and thought I would ask to see if there is something I can do to limit these.

First, I get their daily email with opportunities that "match my criteria". For the most part, most of these don't even come close! I have gotten ones for a tire/oil changer (I've never changed my own oil....59 year old female!), and a position that being bilingual is a requirement (I never stated that I was bilingual, because I'm not). I also get a ton of leads for insurance sales that I don't have experience in, nor am interested in. Over the course of the last 2+ weeks, I don't think I have received a total of 3 "leads" that even come close. Can I filter these better?

Second, do they not take positions off that are filled? I know for a fact that there are 3 positions on there right now that have been filled already, yet they still are on there. This is really annoying for those of us that find the "perfect" position, only to apply and find out that's it already filled. My question is........Is there anyway that I would know a position has been on there too long to apply for. I notice that on both Monster and Career Builder there are positions that have been on there for 2-3 weeks. Are these useless to apply for?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 03:40 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
I posted my resume on Monster, and started getting emails and calls about insurance sales jobs. I went back in and took it off. I hardly ever look at it anyway.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:52 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Monster is a JOKE of a job site. Use Careerbuilder

Old 07-28-2011, 09:19 AM

841 posts, read 2,476,442 times
I prefer careerbuilder over monster, too. You can always filter your results by new job postings. Once you get your search results, on the top of the page is the word 'posted'...if you click on that, it will filter your results by the newer posted jobs. Hope this helps.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:38 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Careerbuilder is getting to be as bad as Monster. As far as removing filled positions goes, most compnaies post ads with an open and close date and just let it expire on the date, regardless of their status in the hiring process.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:52 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Careerbuilder is getting to be as bad as Monster. As far as removing filled positions goes, most compnaies post ads with an open and close date and just let it expire on the date, regardless of their status in the hiring process.

I think both sites are crappy for job search but between the two careerbuilder seems to be the better option.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:55 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,847 times
Monster.com is pure junk. Careerbuilder and hotjobs not much better.

Better option online that I can see is Indeed.com.

Best online option of all is to check the websites of the individual companies.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:04 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Monster.com is pure junk. Careerbuilder and hotjobs not much better.

Better option online that I can see is Indeed.com.

Best online option of all is to check the websites of the individual companies.

But indeed send out job results from careerbuilder and monster

Old 07-28-2011, 11:22 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
Indeed seems to be getting flaky too. I CLEARLY set my search results to "by date" but if I save the search it reverts back to "relevance. ALSO, Indeed sometimes says there were five or six jobs posted since my last visit but when I click on them it will say "no jobs" have been posted. It also sometime filters out some listing by saying "we have removed some similar postings"- WTF???

I agree with the fact that Monster is truly worthless. I do not even try to use them any more.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:47 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
I have my Indeed.com postings set by job title. That narrows it down, and they're easier to look at, and I just eliminate what I'm not interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search