Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 12:26 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times

Advertisements

It's a corrupt system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 04:31 PM

58 posts, read 84,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
From what you're describing, it sounds like you walked into a very small office. No receptionist and most likely a very small staff. This wouldn't work in most offices.
Well, I came in at a time around lunch or a little after. I should've clarified there was a desk, but the chick wasn't there. I found it odd because what happens if a customer came in. I heard a lot of chatter in the break room.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:06 PM

54 posts, read 86,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I could definitely attest to online apps followed up by an actual phone-call to HR.
This has worked for pretty much all the jobs I've had and the ones where I at least got called in for a face-to-face.
How long do you wait do you wait to call HR after the app is finished? Also, what do you tell HR when you call him/her?

Old 06-19-2013, 05:23 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Yes it's no longer the 90's.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker38 View Post
all my older relatives tell me to "put on a suit and go in person" to cold call employers as a way to solve my unemployment but i wonder if they're living in the past.

in nyc it's especially difficult because of building security post-9/11.

anyone have experience with this in the last couple of years?

Cold Calling is a lot better than trying to drop off a resume.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:39 AM

Honestly driving around dropping off resumes is a waste of time. Especially with the cost of gas and timing. I rarely did that over the times I was unemployed. Only if I know a company is in the area where I did a job interview or networking, I will do that. Other then that, good old fashioned cold calling.

If you give it to the receptionist for example, you are not guaranteed if your resume was passed over to the person in charge of hiring.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:43 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon_Chic View Post
Well, I came in at a time around lunch or a little after. I should've clarified there was a desk, but the chick wasn't there. I found it odd because what happens if a customer came in. I heard a lot of chatter in the break room.

I think you just happened to luck out. I'm guessing if the receptionist was there you wouldn't have gotten past her.

The guy you met who happened to be in a high position was just a nice guy. But if you had come at a different time of day you wouldn't have had that encounter.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:47 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
I've never had success with walking in resumes.

I was hired one time through knocking on the door of the decision maker. They never advertised it, because they didn't think they had an opening. It was a college gym and the weight room was closed on a Friday night when I wanted to work out. On Monday morning I knocked on the Director's door and told him I wanted to apply for the opening in the weight room. He said "No thanks, we don't have any openings" and went back to his work. I knew this was my opening though, "When I came here Friday Night, the weight room was closed. So I'm pretty sure you are about to have an opening. I'd like to apply for it." He checked the records and saw that the person hadn't shown up for work that night. The employee was fired and after a quick interview and a few follow up visits to handle the red tape, I was given the job.

Generally speaking, getting a job by showing up in person is pretty brutal these days. Most positions have enough anti-nepotism policies in place to prevent you from getting the position that way, but not enough positions in place to stop someone that actually wants to commit nepotism. It happens that way because when someone wants to hire their friend/family they are much more committed to the cause then someone that just met you.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I think you just happened to luck out. I'm guessing if the receptionist was there you wouldn't have gotten past her.

The guy you met who happened to be in a high position was just a nice guy. But if you had come at a different time of day you wouldn't have had that encounter.
Yep, too true. In the long run, the guy liked my portfolio and will consider for me freelancing.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:20 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,597,645 times
Quote:
Are the days of walking in a resume in person gone?
Those days have been pretty much over since the 90s. Nearly all companies prefer digital resume submissions these days, and many require ASCII format. Hell, I think the traditional resume itself is becoming increasingly outdated. Many employers and recruiters these days feel that can get a good idea of who you are professionally and personally by looking at your social media footprint. The resume is a bit redundant to them.

With that said...even submitting your resume and application online is a long shot at best, especially if you're wanting any white-collar job that's above entry-level. Most companies have automated systems set up to automatically scan your resume for keywords, etc...if not there, your resume is immediately deleted without any human eyes looking at it. In other words, the company, via its technology, may have likely permanently rejected you within a second or two (literally) after submitting your resume.

If you want to land any job that's decently up the ladder, you need to know someone on the inside. You need to network...which you should be doing regularly starting with your college years. Referrals from respected people carry a lot of weight in the professional world. It's as simple as that. Unless you get extremely lucky and beat heavy odds. Monster.com, Dice, etc. aren't very effective options. LinkedIn is better, especially if you use it in tandem with your broader networking.

Also, it helps to have a good and active social media presence. LinkedIn (especially), Facebook, G+, Twitter. Some employers may reject you outright if you're not engaged in social media, and I expect that trend to continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search