Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:27 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times

Advertisements

The most important I question I guess will be... "What have you been doing the last year" or why haven't I been working.. so I know I can't blame it on reality (the sh*tty a** economy) so what shall I say?

Irony this interview is for a human resource technician ...

and any other advice is welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 11:35 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,820 times
I'd suggest finding out your interviewer's name beforehand and getting it tattooed on your forehead. best way to show you are a team player right off the bat.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:01 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,316,869 times
here are some tips on how to answer interview questions
Job Interviews
if u have been doing volunteer work -mention that i your interview (and put it on your resume) or if u have been in school state that as well
make sure u follow up after the interview and good luck

Old 02-10-2012, 09:43 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Read this "What's a job interview really about".

I also have a blog with more information which you can find in my profile.

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post21445518

Old 02-10-2012, 10:04 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
These days there are a lot of long term unemployed, and I don't hold that against them.

What I want to know is that they've kept their skills current by maintaining memberships in relevant associations or reading periodicals published for their field. Keeping up-to-date with computer skills is of course important, even more so if you're in any type of I/T or technical field.

I also want to know that they've done something with their life other than sit at home playing PS2 all day. Volunteer work, especially if somehow you can tie it to your field is best.

But if not, even being able to tell me about an interesting project you took on such as researching a family tree and meticulously cataloging interviews with older family members and family photos would work. I want you to show that you did something to keep active and keep your brain fed and in the habit of processing new information on a regular basis. And the more excited you are about talking about your methodology for choosing that project and the steps you took to accomplish it, the better.

I'd rehearse that piece and figure out how to talk about your project or volunteer work in sixty seconds or less in a way that would point out tasks that might somehow relate to the position without actually saying that they relate to the position, and in a way that will engage the interviewer. I'd ask a friend to listen and offer feedback.

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-10-2012, 11:15 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,897,080 times
I have been looking for work for 13 months, I have been sending out resumes non stop this is normal.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:17 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,897,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
The most important I question I guess will be... "What have you been doing the last year" or why haven't I been working.. so I know I can't blame it on reality (the sh*tty a** economy) so what shall I say?

you can blame it on the economy, it really is that bad, we're almost at the great depression

here is a good link

Three Official Lies About Jobs! Two Official Lies About Housing! Plus, The Hard, Factual Truth! | iStockAnalyst.com

Old 02-10-2012, 11:46 AM

370 posts, read 1,365,688 times
Good luck with your interview!

Old 02-10-2012, 01:49 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post

1. Let the interviewer do most of the talking

I really don't know what you can say about a year of being unemployed because at some point like around the 6th month you should have seeked out part-time or volunteer opportunities. But good luck

BTW: I have a interview on tuesday and trying to come up with a good answer to what I have been doing since December-lol

Old 02-10-2012, 04:14 PM

475 posts, read 1,370,432 times
I guarantee they will ask you about it as I was today and I've been out longer. Check interview prep sites.
Skills kept up to date, classes taken, volunteer work, contract or freelance anything that shows you were doing something useful. Don't say the economy or make excuses as you know. Whatever you come up with be positive about it and don't indicate you did something because you were desperate or bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search