Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,651,696 times

Advertisements

I received a job offer today, but there are two things holding me back. One, I'd have to take a paycut from what I was making at my last job. Two, it would require a long commute, which means spending more money on gas. They do offer the potential for a bonus, which would cancel out the paycut and cost of gas. But bonuses are easy to wiggle out of. The recruiter is pushing me to take the offer. What's interesting is what the recruiter is saying. First, she's saying the market is bad for someone with my skills. But I've interviewed with 8 companies in the last 2 weeks so clearly my skills are in demand. And none have balked at my salary range. Second, the manager even told me in the interview that it's hard to find people with my skills. So now I'm left wondering if the recruiter is being honest. I realize the recruiter works for the client, not me and that they don't want to lose their placement fee. If you were in my position, how would you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,446,321 times
Is there no room for salary negotiation? If so I'd say either decline the position or accept it and keep looking. A recruiter should not be pushing you to take a pay cut.

Just because you are getting interviews does not mean that the field is in high demand. I get a fair number of Chemist job interviews however they are interviewing a large number of candidates many times looking to see who they can get desperate enough to take their crap offers.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Is there no room for salary negotiation? If so I'd say either decline the position or accept it and keep looking. A recruiter should not be pushing you to take a pay cut.

Just because you are getting interviews does not mean that the field is in high demand. I get a fair number of Chemist job interviews however they are interviewing a large number of candidates many times looking to see who they can get desperate enough to take their crap offers.
According to the recruiter, the company is pretty firm on their offer. I could accept it and continue looking for something better, but there are two problems with that. One, it's hard to look for a job when you're already working full time. Two, I don't want to get a reputation as a jobhopper. Would you hire someone who's ready to quit his job only a few months into it? One thing I made clear to the recruiter is that if I take a job where I feel shortchanged, that isn't good for anyone. The company doesn't want to replace a new hire so soon after he joined and the recruiting firm might lose their placement fee.

As for your second point, I'm not just basing it on interviews. I look at job boards, I see my inbox flooded with emails every time I post my resume online, and I get lots of phone calls from recruiters (often for jobs in other cities) telling me how hot my skill set is right now. But the fact that I'm getting interviews should count for something. Sure, employers may be looking to lowball people. But it's a lot of time spent on their part to talk to candidates. I doubt they would waste their time if they didn't genuinely want to hire someone.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:24 AM

If you get a better job in a short time just leave this one off your resume as if it didn't exist. It is easier to get a job when you are currently employed as unemployed is seen as a stigma.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 AM

380 posts, read 1,156,651 times
If you are getting as many job interviews as you claim, then, there is no need for you to settle for a job offer you aren't comfortable with.

Do you know the status of any of the other interviews you have been on? Is any other potential employer close to giving you an offer? How long do you think it will take you to get another offer? How much longer can you afford to stay unemployed? These are the types of questions you should be asking yourself in order to make the best decisions for yourself.

If it were me and I had been on several interviews with other companies and was still in the running for those positions I would pass on this offer. But, you have to do what's best for you.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:30 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,172,982 times
If you think you are in high demand then don't settle. Forget about the recruiter and just make the decision.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
If you are getting as many job interviews as you claim, then, there is no need for you to settle for a job offer you aren't comfortable with.

Do you know the status of any of the other interviews you have been on? Is any other potential employer close to giving you an offer? How long do you think it will take you to get another offer? How much longer can you afford to stay unemployed? These are the types of questions you should be asking yourself in order to make the best decisions for yourself.

If it were me and I had been on several interviews with other companies and was still in the running for those positions I would pass on this offer. But, you have to do what's best for you.
My problem is that I've been getting interviews, but this is the first offer. Some companies reject me after the interview because they chose to hire someone else. Other companies I reject because I don't like what I hear or see during the interview. I'm in process with a couple other companies, but it hasn't reached the stage where an offer would even be made. The risk in passing this offer is that it could be awhile before I get another one. And there's no guarantee that it'll be any better than the offer I have now. You have to make concessions in a market like this one and not hold out for the ideal job. But I feel like I'm being asked to give up too much. A paycut that puts me back to a salary I made 5 years ago and a long commute that will only get more costly as gas prices continue to go up.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:13 PM

I still think your best bet is to take the job, but keep looking.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM

392 posts, read 704,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If you get a better job in a short time just leave this one off your resume as if it didn't exist. It is easier to get a job when you are currently employed as unemployed is seen as a stigma.
I agree with this. Especially if it is a temp or contract position, you have no obligation to the company. Don't even put it on your resume.

Accept the offer, but try not to start the new job for a few weeks if possible, if you think something might be coming down the pipe shortly.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:57 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,483,782 times
I think you are a lot like me. You are considering the company, the recruiter etc. I've learned that it's all about you. Forget anything else and make the best decision for you.

On top of this, the market has changed a lot and some of those old pre-conceived notions no longer hold true. Job hopping no longer has the same stigma. Employers aren't stupid and they know that employees are being taken advantage of and low balled on offers. Also, I think it's impossible that every job you ever have is a perfect fit. What if the truth is that it just didn't work out? You didn't like the work, the environment, whatever.

I would take the job and keep looking. It is very true that if you are employed, you are more attractive. So, you might start getting calls soon after you start. One other thing you can do, is stick it out for 1 year. I noticed that after the 1 year mark, they stop asking why you are leaving so soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search