Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:43 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,887 times

Advertisements

This has happened so many times I am really getting sick of it.

A recruiter I've spoken to months ago calls my cell yesteday while I'm away at my desk and leaves a message about a new job opp. I run to the nearest conference room to call her back since I have zero privacy at my cubicle which is in ear-shot of several people in my debt. Her receptionist tells me she's now on a scheduled call and takes my number for her to call me back. I await the call all afternoon. Never comes.

First thing this morning I call and again she's busy but schedules a call for us at 1pm today. At 1pm, after I have finished my timed lunch to make this call, I frantically look for another empty conference room to take the call after the one I previously eyed was fun, find one and call her. The recep. answers. She's late coming back from lunch. She takes my number and says she'll call me back. I go back to my desk and wait. At 1:15pm, I get an email from her asking if we can reschedule for Monday? ARGH!!!!!! So now I have to wait until Monday to find out about a potential job op? I agree but ask if she could possibly email me any info. Half any hour later and I am still waiting. Now I can only cross my fingers that I can find somewhere private to talk.

Geez! Why does this keep happening! Several times I have had a recruiter call and when I return the call, nothing. Can't even get in touch with them. Many times I never hear back but it usually takes days just to get them on the phone.

*sigh* I am sooo exhausted of job searching I freaking swear. I wanna give up.

/rant over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 11:58 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
The only thing worse than recruiters calling you is recruiters not calling you.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The only thing worse than recruiters calling you is recruiters not calling you.
Or recruiters calling you because they want to look busy and "in demand" to their boss. ("Suzy" must be a real go-getter because the receptionist is always getting phone calls for her!)

Old 03-12-2010, 01:06 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times
And by monday, the position will already have been filled. At least, that has been my experience.

In my job-seeker's support group, three of our members have gotten jobs in the past few months through recruiters, so I think there is *some* value in their services. But it sure is a hassle wading through the hundreds of the bad to find a good one.

Best of luck for Monday.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:10 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post

A recruiter I've spoken to months ago calls my cell yesteday while I'm away at my desk and leaves a message about a new job opp. I run to the nearest conference room to call her back since I have zero privacy at my cubicle which is in ear-shot of several people in my debt. Her receptionist tells me she's now on a scheduled call and takes my number for her to call me back. I await the call all afternoon. Never comes.

First thing this morning I call and again she's busy but schedules a call for us at 1pm today. At 1pm, after I have finished my timed lunch to make this call, I frantically look for another empty conference room to take the call after the one I previously eyed was fun, find one and call her. The recep. answers. She's late coming back from lunch. She takes my number and says she'll call me back. I go back to my desk and wait. At 1:15pm, I get an email from her asking if we can reschedule for Monday? ARGH!!!!!! So now I have to wait until Monday to find out about a potential job op? I agree but ask if she could possibly email me any info. Half any hour later and I am still waiting. Now I can only cross my fingers that I can find somewhere private to talk.

Geez! Why does this keep happening! Several times I have had a recruiter call and when I return the call, nothing. Can't even get in touch with them. Many times I never hear back but it usually takes days just to get them on the phone.

/rant over

This sounds familiar.

Recruiters are, in my experience, disproporitionately "flakey" in terms of "communication skills" in comparison to the rest of the working population, and this includes the type of scenario you have described above. (By the way--I include "internal recruiters" also known as "HR professionals" within that group).

I take them as I find them, and expect very little from any of these clueless and discourteous critters in terms of the "normal standards of professionalism" to which the rest of us are expected to adhere. Then again, mutations do occur, and every once in a blue moon a recruiter who returns phone calls in a normal way will turn up and pleasantly surprise me.

"Those who 'can't' work in HR."

Old 03-12-2010, 05:21 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Don't I know it.
Last year I had this lady email me back and forth about 4 times in half an hour about a job through her agency (I worked for them in the only job I have had in this podunk state).

Anyhow, she keeps talking up this job.
Never gets back to me in real life. (by calling me I mean).

What is wrong with these people? Do they get OFF on mind ***king people?
(please excuse the salty language).

WE WANT RESPECT DAMN IT, not to crawl like whipped dogs and debase ourselves by asking "What happened to the job you mentioned to me 2 minutes ago?'

Ms. C, don't be surprised if Monday 'this plumb job' is either GONE or never existed...

Good luck, anyhow.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:48 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
The recruiter may have needed to meet some outbound call quota to a candidate to meet some daily or weekly sales goal. She really has nothing for you.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:19 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post

/rant over
I've had a similar experience with a HR recruiter from a particular company after I had I submitted my application for a posting. She calls and leaves me a message about the opportunity. I call her back and left her a message. She does not call back for another week and leaves a message. I call back and leave her a second message after trying her number at different times. Another week goes by and my cell phone goes off while I'm in a public restroom so I allowed it to go to voicemail. Guess who it was? The elusive recruiter. Had she called me five minutes earlier or five minutes later, I could have taken her call. After trying her yet AGAIN, I just gave up as she never answers her phone. I discussed this with another person in my industry and she told me to forget about that company as she heard that they treat their employees horribly. I haven't heard from her since and at this point, I don't care.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:20 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
This sounds familiar.

Recruiters are, in my experience, disproporitionately "flakey" in terms of "communication skills" in comparison to the rest of the working population, and this includes the type of scenario you have described above. (By the way--I include "internal recruiters" also known as "HR professionals" within that group).

I take them as I find them, and expect very little from any of these clueless and discourteous critters in terms of the "normal standards of professionalism" to which the rest of us are expected to adhere. Then again, mutations do occur, and every once in a blue moon a recruiter who returns phone calls in a normal way will turn up and pleasantly surprise me.

"Those who 'can't' work in HR."
I love the way you put it.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:58 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,887 times
And I never did hear back from the recruiter so I guess I"m suppose to try and track her down on Monday to find out, again, if we can schedule a call...for a job that is probably already filled!

Bah!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search