Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:03 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
Recruiters and staffing firms are a racket. I have more respect for telemarketers and used car salesmen!
Oh boy, recruiters must be awful then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 01:15 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Oh boy, recruiters must be awful then!
A good many of them are. There is way more bad than good.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:25 PM

16 posts, read 35,321 times
I have been in that situation too many times...Call recruiter, they are in an interview(of course)..leave message they call back when I can't answer...thats why I usually leave a message telling recruiter to leave a DETAILED message via voicemail or email...and I state the info most people want to know...salary range/hourly, days, job title, etc...best thing is to send emails back and forth if possible.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:28 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
/me wonders how many people are going to complain about recruiters before they realize that recruiters work for the hiring companies, not the candidates.

When you pay recruiters, then you can complain. Until then, caveat emptor and brush up on your skills to make yourself more marketable.

Yes, it's really that simple.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
This sounds familiar.

Recruiters are, in my experience, disproporitionately "flakey" in terms of "communication skills" in comparison to the rest of the working population, and this includes the type of scenario you have described above. (By the way--I include "internal recruiters" also known as "HR professionals" within that group).

I take them as I find them, and expect very little from any of these clueless and discourteous critters in terms of the "normal standards of professionalism" to which the rest of us are expected to adhere. Then again, mutations do occur, and every once in a blue moon a recruiter who returns phone calls in a normal way will turn up and pleasantly surprise me.

"Those who 'can't' work in HR."
There are some around here that can't seem to comprehend this. In their minds it is okay for recruiters to act this way and worse all because they are working for the company and not the applicant.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:37 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,622 times
If you have the confidence in yourself, can sell yourself regardless of your situation, dress sharply and have a lot of energy, you can do without recruiters. Don't be lazy and assume they are going to help you. You're just another number to them 'cos you're not paying them, the company is. Learn to be your own "recruiter". Sell yourself and you can give the recruiters and agencies the finger. Let's ask ourselves how these agencies and recruiters get their contacts and how. How do salespeople get contacts? If their contacts were so strong and on such good relations with the recruiters, then why don't you have a job yet via the recruiters? Is the contact no good or not serious, or is it the recruiter? Think. Think. Think.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:19 PM

I agree 100% Mystique. Well said!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:38 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,622 times
In the 15 years of my work experience, every permanent worthy job I have ever gotten has been through my own effort, creativity and self marketing. In the 90s, the legal support agencies only gave temp assignments, and crappy ones at that. I was way overqualified for all of those, but of course, money is money. Nobody ever offered me a worthy temp to perm or perm job. This was New York City before 9/11 so there was no excuse. This was before the recession, again, no excuse. The two types of people I was getting were either a) older, bitter women recruiters or b) GenY blond, snotty Gossip Girl (non NYorker types) with an IQ of about 70. Like 90210! There were very few men, and the ones that were there were OK, but again "no cigar".

Old 12-01-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
In the 15 years of my work experience, every permanent worthy job I have ever gotten has been through my own effort, creativity and self marketing. In the 90s, the legal support agencies only gave temp assignments, and crappy ones at that. I was way overqualified for all of those, but of course, money is money. Nobody ever offered me a worthy temp to perm or perm job. This was New York City before 9/11 so there was no excuse. This was before the recession, again, no excuse. The two types of people I was getting were either a) older, bitter women recruiters or b) GenY blond, snotty Gossip Girl (non NYorker types) with an IQ of about 70. Like 90210! There were very few men, and the ones that were there were OK, but again "no cigar".
Many people are beginning to realize that lots of recruiters are only time wasters and are doing their own self marketing. So yeah I agree with what is bolded.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:59 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,722 times
Default Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Or recruiters calling you because they want to look busy and "in demand" to their boss. ("Suzy" must be a real go-getter because the receptionist is always getting phone calls for her!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
The recruiter may have needed to meet some outbound call quota to a candidate to meet some daily or weekly sales goal. She really has nothing for you.
They call you three or four times just to make sure you are still looking and if you are still interested, and/or it takes two or three calls to just confirm an interview slot, and (here is the one that annoys me the most) THEY CALL WHEN THEY KNOW YOU ARE PROBABLY NOT AT HOME AND NEVER LEAVE MEANINGFUL MESSAGES: THEY JUST WANT YOU TO CALL BACK THE NEXT MORNING TO KEEP THEIR LINE BUSY!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search