Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 09:14 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,357,366 times

Advertisements

Yeah, they are flakey - there is one agency that scr*wed me up twice. I will never work with them again.

And I was laid off in mid 2008 - I have recruiters who have positions open that are just calling me NOW. I just got two calls within the last month or so - WHERE were these people a year and a half ago (no jobs I supposed, but they never took my inquiry calls then either)? I just referred one to my friend who got the position... btw.

The way I look at it, I will take their calls, but have no scruples about blowing them off if necessary, cause they do the same thing to you constantly. There are a few nice agencies I work with, smaller local ones that are very great and courteous though. There is hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 09:43 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,537,926 times
I hate recruiters. When I lived in Chicago nearly every job I got was by recruiter but since I moved south recruiters have been quite useless. When I moved here I searched for every recruiter I could find and went to interview and test with nearly each and everyone. A year goes by and nothing but disappointment; a temp to hire job ends up being pulled 3-weeks into the job...I came in and did all the work faster than anyone else ever had or was doing. Today that company is out of business; so I look at it as a good thing. The next recruiter I contacted was through a newspaper ad for a 9 month contract. I wanted a job that would last longer than that but went in and did the tests anyway; blew them away...and got the job; 4-1/2 years later the job finally ends but I'm thankful I went for it and was employed for so long. I traditionally have stayed at my employers for 10+ years and I would really like to find something like that again but most of the ads are temp or contract work. A few have contacted me during this job search only to not return calls...and frankly if you're going to leave me hanging for a week without so much as a "it's on hold" call I'm not interested anymore. By the time I get over the stress they want to start it all over again and I won't let them play with me that way.

Every once in awhile you will find one that is worth their weight in gold but most of them aren't.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:11 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
Justice will be when these clowns find themselves out of work. Throw a few 'unprofessional' HR people in there, as well.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:53 PM

135 posts, read 387,493 times
Yeah I understand that but HR and recruiters are worthless they are out there just to fill positions this one temp agency I went to work thru called me once and I called back after only 15 minutes but they had filled the position already, I was really mad about that and the other ones in the area are just there to fill positions not even caring about whether they were giving the company decent workers or the company treat their employees right, just fill the positions and get their money. The last time I kept getting jobs that were not even worth the time to get up to travel the 45 minutes to get there because they were not going to hire me anyway just need someone to fill in til they hire from within the company that got real tiring and breaking my back for temp jobs just got me tired out so I decided to go back to school to get something that will get me to have something better that my hard work will mean something, I only wish I had done this years ago.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:26 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
I truly feel for everyone battling the job market right now.

My dh was laid off for 3 years, he had temp & contract jobs during that time, but not a FT with benefits for that time period. During that time recuriters made our lives #ell.

Dh received constant calls, emails, etc, all to no avail. His experience was much like others on this thread--basically a game of telephone tag. The emotional stress was horrible. At least follow through---after all, they are the one's who initiated the contact in the first place, duh!

Finally dh is gainfull employed, at a job that seems stable. then, out of nowhere, comes the recuriters, tracking down resumes that are almost a year old. They keep dangling job possibilities that are 2x his current salary, with every benefit imaginable. I told dh to not even consider them, but its hard to control what comes in over the phone. He finally changed his phone number just to avoid those sadistic jokers. They don't have jobs, just false hopes and ups and downs that eat into your soul.

We're so grateful for what we have and thank goodness we don't have to deal with those jokers anymore.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:15 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,937 times
Have not had a good experience with the one I've worked with. I was given incorrect information about salary ranges which were about 5 to 7k above what people in my field with my experience level are actually making. Don't know for sure, but this may have lost me at least one job, and I was lucky that someone interviewing me later told me what employers were really paying.

Got *one* interview through this recruiter, which ended up being a waste of time for both me and the interviewer, because we both determined after about three minutes that the job was absolutely wrong for me, and vice versa. Have not heard from the recruiter since.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:49 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,953,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Or recruiters calling you because they want to look busy and "in demand" to their boss. ("Suzy" must be a real go-getter because the receptionist is always getting phone calls for her!)
Bingo!

Old 03-15-2010, 02:09 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Bingo!
Also, that's why they don't return calls, to keep you calling, suzy is one busy gal! The only reason she has a job is because you don't

Old 03-15-2010, 12:06 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
And I never did hear back from the recruiter so I guess I"m suppose to try and track her down on Monday to find out, again, if we can schedule a call...for a job that is probably already filled!

Bah!!!!!
So what happened?

Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,386,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
So what happened?
Nothing. I'd already called 3 times last week and gave her my availability for today. She hasn't returned my last message and I'm not going to waste anymore time with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search