Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:22 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
What's good employee? When you have a team, good employee is someone who can play in a team environment.
No, a good employee is someone skilled in the expertise of doing their job.
A good employee does their job well, and even beyond the scope of "well". They
generate business and a profit for the company.

This isn't volleyball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 02:32 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
I dont call them industrial psychologists, many simply have degrees in that field and even if the HR department is outsourced it is outsourced to a company that hires psychologist as well. There is no escape body, who is better than a psychologist to weed out underserables, psychopaths and employess who may come back with AK-47 when let go...

What can you tell by looking at a resume often written by somebody else? Education? Experience? Most people lie and resumes never tell a full story but just a snapshot.
Every job that I ever landed I had to go through at least three interviews.... It's not easy to find a good fit... You can be the best in your field and still not be a good fit for the position...

Well, obviously you're not a hiring person, because you'd KNOW that degrees can be verified, as well as anything else. You're part of the "good fit" mentality, that being buddies with your coworkers is paramount to doing a good job. That creates hostile environments, backstabbing, and all of the problems that create bad work situations. When people are encouraged to be the best worker they can be, rather than this ambiguous "team thing", they work hard because they know it will keep the business they work for afloat, and better themselves.

Your "good fit" is part of the reason that unqualified people, friends and relatives of bosses are getting the jobs. Your "good fit" is the reason that being experienced and having the credentials to do a job are just dismissed.

Work is not about friends. This business of trying to create a "sitcom" of a friends environment is a way to control people, and it's shown, time and time again, to create chaos and disaster.

Hiring undesirables or psychopaths? A risk is taken whenever anyone engages in any kind of interaction with another human being, whether employing them, dating them, having them clean their home, selling them a car. You can't 100% proof this. But that is why people have references. Basically, that person in the company wants to know they aren't hiring the person from hell. But employees have no such hand. Employees get hired into positions that were repeatedly vacated, and never told that 10 people quit over 3 years. No one is told about the crazy, unreasonable boss. No one is told about the crazy coworker. So your "teamwork" doesn't work. It's a worn out concept that's had it's day, and if companies would stop playing in the sand, stop making it a social event, and hiring people who can do the job. Period.

Quote:
PS Why are you so scared of psychologists?
Oh please. I am not scared of psychologists. That's a cheap shot, and viewed in debate circles like name-calling, meaning you lost.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:49 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
[quote=nebulous1;25261743]
Quote:

Well, obviously you're not a hiring person, because you'd KNOW that degrees can be verified, as well as anything else. You're part of the "good fit" mentality, that being buddies with your coworkers is paramount to doing a good job. That creates hostile environments, backstabbing, and all of the problems that create bad work situations. When people are encouraged to be the best worker they can be, rather than this ambiguous "team thing", they work hard because they know it will keep the business they work for afloat, and better themselves.

Your "good fit" is part of the reason that unqualified people, friends and relatives of bosses are getting the jobs. Your "good fit" is the reason that being experienced and having the credentials to do a job are just dismissed.

Work is not about friends. This business of trying to create a "sitcom" of a friends environment is a way to control people, and it's shown, time and time again, to create chaos and disaster.

Hiring undesirables or psychopaths? A risk is taken whenever anyone engages in any kind of interaction with another human being, whether employing them, dating them, having them clean their home, selling them a car. You can't 100% proof this. But that is why people have references. Basically, that person in the company wants to know they aren't hiring the person from hell. But employees have no such hand. Employees get hired into positions that were repeatedly vacated, and never told that 10 people quit over 3 years. No one is told about the crazy, unreasonable boss. No one is told about the crazy coworker. So your "teamwork" doesn't work. It's a worn out concept that's had it's day, and if companies would stop playing in the sand, stop making it a social event, and hiring people who can do the job. Period.

Oh please. I am not scared of psychologists. That's a cheap shot, and viewed in debate circles like name-calling, meaning you lost.
Youre painting a picture where evil employers hire people to fail while in reality high turnover, in most lines of business, is not really benefitting the business.
I think your perspective will change once you get hired into a position where you have to manage the entire team and find replacements yourself.

Last edited by rebel12; 07-20-2012 at 04:10 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 09:17 PM

[quote=rebel12;25262983]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post

Youre painting a picture where evil employers hire people to fail while in reality high turnover, in most lines of business, is not really benefitting the business.
I think your perspective will change once you get hired into a position where you have to manage the entire team and find replacements yourself.

Whatever you say....

Old 07-26-2012, 07:58 PM

93 posts, read 170,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
What I will tell you is, whenever that question is asked, there's a good chance you're not getting the job.

I mean, think about it, why would they ask you to "tell me about yourself" when everything they need to know is listed in your cover letter and resume?

Translated, they basically want to know why the hell are you wasting their time when you're not hardly qualified for this position?
that sounds accurate

Old 07-27-2012, 09:31 AM

69 posts, read 101,140 times
One time i was really aggrevated by all these stupid questions and actually told the woman straight when she asked the question "What do you want me to say, everything is in the CV, have you read it or just slept it thru?"

I didn't get the job and I knew that but was tired of the whole HR thing.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 3,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
This question is one of the most common questions in a job interview so what you said is definitely not true. In fact all interview books address this question and how to answer it. Generally you want to answer it by discussing your career progression and the skills you developed and how it is applicable to the job you are interviewing for. You also want to discuss why you are interested in the job and how the skills you have developed will contribute to being successful at the job. If you are wondering, I have never been in an interview where this question was NOT asked.

Very good answer

I was thinking of responding with something that relates to the job I'm applying for that will make me stand out above the other applicants, in efforts of landing the job.

I doubt the interviewer was interested in personal information.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:28 PM

93 posts, read 170,314 times
yup, easier said than done but when employers hire people, the way an applicant's attitude should be is that he or she should put the employer, company, job, business before himself/herself, he has to view himself/herself as "i'm applying here based on what i can bring to the business, company, on what the job can benefit from me, not what i can benefit from"

Old 07-27-2012, 05:16 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HumanResources View Post
yup, easier said than done but when employers hire people, the way an applicant's attitude should be is that he or she should put the employer, company, job, business before himself/herself, he has to view himself/herself as "i'm applying here based on what i can bring to the business, company, on what the job can benefit from me, not what i can benefit from"
Yup. Focus on the value you bring to the table and how the company will benefit from hiring you. Everybody who is going to an interview should be prepared for "tell me about yourself" question.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
hobbies interested esp those that relate to job you are applying for. this is not an invitation to spill your guts but may sound like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search