Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:15 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

Hiring managers, HR women, and all others, what do you think of someone who is...

1 minute late...

5 minutes late...

20 minutes late...

an hour late for an interview?

Also, what do you think of various excuses for impunctuality? For example:

* I got stuck in traffic
* I couldn't find a place to park
* I couldn't find my keys / wallet
* I was searching online for interview tips
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 04:21 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,986,439 times
I don't work in HR so my opinion may not matter...but those are not acceptable excuses for being late to a interview.
Being rear-ended or something similar would be because it was not your fault.

All those issues you brought up can very easily be avoided with some planing or leaving early.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:36 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Why would you be late? Unless it's a family emergency like you break up with your boyfriend, then I would understand. :-)

Old 08-21-2012, 04:36 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
About 80% of the time I have been to interviews, I have to spend 20 minutes or more filling out paperwork and then still wait another 10 to 20 minutes for the lowest level person to show up, who is sometimes a guy who is the same age/level as me. So, the big guy who makes the decision might not see you until an hour or two after you arrived.

So anything less than 15 minutes late, they probably wouldn't even notice.

Coming from someone who has almost always arrived early for interviews.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:42 PM

653 posts, read 1,802,269 times
He was 20 minutes late.

You're screwed, tvdxer.

Last edited by Quantum; 08-21-2012 at 04:52 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 04:49 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
One minute I wouldn't notice. More than that I would. If there was a major crash and the Interstate was closed and backed up for miles and you called to let me know you were going to be late, I'd be OK with it--I might be stuck in the same traffic. But saying you couldn't find you keys? Um, interview is over. Or saying you were late because of a breakup with a boyfriend? That was a minute of my life I'll never get back.

In all honesty if it's something so serious that you'd be excusably late--death of family member, sudden serious illness or injury to a family member, etc., I'd rather have you call me and ask to reschedule. I'm not without compassion and would generally be happy to do so. I want to get a solid interview, and someone who is distracted because their kid was just taken to the ER with a broken collarbone after he fell off his bike or their parent just passed away the day before is not someone I want to interview right now. I wouldn't have asked them to interview if they weren't one of my top two or three applicants, I can wait until next week.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:49 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
1 minute late... No problem.

5 minutes late... Uh Oh, he/she is starting behind all others interviewed.

20 minutes late...Have a good life..somewhere else.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why would you be late? Unless it's a family emergency like you break up with your boyfriend, then I would understand. :-)
I was rear ended on the freeway on the way to an interview. Called the company and told them I was going to be late (the guy who hit me thought I was nuts) and arrived 5 minutes late. They were more concerned with my being ok. I offered to show them the police report of the damage (it was pretty decent damage but the car was still driveable) and they declined.

Worked for the company for 3 years.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:57 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Hiring managers, HR women, and all others, what do you think of someone who is...

1 minute late...

5 minutes late...

20 minutes late...

* I got stuck in traffic
I'm not HR nor a hiring manager either but you did say, "and all others" so here I am....

Unacceptable, honestly. If I have a job interview, I mapquest that thing, figure out the quickest route, if I have to drive the thing before the interview to learn my way around, I will. If I don't have to drive it to know how to get there but am not familiar with how traffic runs on that route, I will make sure I am EXTRA early. I figure out what clothes I'm going to wear the night before, I bathe the night before, I have everything set up, my phone, keys, ID, anything I need, set and ready to go, everything is ready so that all I have to do is get up, brush my teeth and hair, get dressed, GO.

I would rather sit in my car for 45 minutes because I'm too early than be even ONE second late.

I don't think it would look too good on someone who is coming in to get a job if they can't even GET to the "get a job" on time.

(This is using your examples, not the dramatic stuff like someone plowing in to you, an unexpected death of family or friend, (hell, even pet).)

Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Default well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

1 minute late...

5 minutes late...

20 minutes late...

* I got stuck in traffic
If it were me, I'd being saying...'NEXT...' and if you were 1 minute, 5 minutes, 20 minutes or an hour late for an interview with me you may as well just turn around and go home.
K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search