Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 03:06 PM

19 posts, read 60,408 times

Advertisements

I've been making fair progress in my job search, but need to bounce my thoughts and get input on this one interview/company.

I've been focusing on jobs that target recent grads with a certain skill set I have, and I've been hearing back from 75-80% of jobs I applied to. The interviews seem to have gone well, since I've been called back for second or final rounds. I know this is no guarantee at an offer, but it's nice to know that employers think I'm a strong candidate to consider at this stage.

There's one interview that confuses me. He wanted to meet with me right away, two days after the job was posted. But the interview was much shorter than my other interviews (~1.5 hours) and only 30 min. I was given a heads up by someone else though that this interviewer is pretty reserved. He started off saying "You know, we're hiring for Position #A and Position #B (I actually didn't see any postings for #B but generally #B positions are higher up), and I see you're here for an interview for #A...." . He kept downplaying the responsibilities in this position, such as "oh, you'll just be doing basic things like X,Y,Z". At the end, he said he'd let me know by a certain date, if thisposition was still open. Bolded are his emphases. He also gave me an outline going over what the salary, benefits were for this position, and asked for me to review this later. I followed-up with the standard e-mail thanking him, but received no reply.

Now this is the kicker. On that certain date, I saw the exact job posting on the same board, for position #A, but nothing for position #B. I'm not sure what to make of it. My best guess is he's just fishing for more resumes to see what's out there before settling on any candidate. I have other interviews to look forward to, but I guess I want to try and understand what went wrong with this interview? This is the first place, where I was called for an in-person interview and not requested for another interview. I want to chalk this up as a learning experience and just move on, but I was wondering if other people had thoughts on this or a similar experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 06:50 PM

19 posts, read 60,408 times
Im bumping this >< any advice or thoughts on this? I'm hesitant to follow up since they never erplied to my last one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search