Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 01:18 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The book is an academic texts that cites several studies. In fact, it's pretty much an analysis of studies. Of course, if you spent even a minute looking at it, you would have known that.

Which study do you feel is anecdotal?
Feel free to quote a peer reviewed study than if they have several studies showing that bad credit equals bad employees, I have already posted a quote direct from a spokesman from Transunion testifying in congress that those studies do not exist. So posting a link to some book is not good enough proof that you have a clue what you are talking about, nor that the book contains any of the information that you report it does.

You want to take the stance that bad credit shows a higher likelyhood of someone being a worse employee, show the study it is that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 01:28 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Feel free to quote a peer reviewed study than if they have several studies showing that bad credit equals bad employees, I have already posted a quote direct from a spokesman from Transunion testifying in congress that those studies do not exist. So posting a link to some book is not good enough proof that you have a clue what you are talking about, nor that the book contains any of the information that you report it does.

You want to take the stance that bad credit shows a higher likelyhood of someone being a worse employee, show the study it is that simple.
So you're trying to dispute academic studies by dismissing them and choosing not to read them? It seems like you don't even want to learn about the topic. You just want to push your agenda. If you really cared about the truth, you would be eager to study the sources I pointed you to. You've now revealed that you don't even care.

That's fine. A person who doesn't care to learn, is a poor teacher and preacher.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:37 AM

Also wanted to point out that it's a new topic in the book as of the 12th edition. I had originally read the 11th edition which didn't cover this. However, the 12th edition, which came out earlier this year... refers to several peer-reviewed studies. You can read the studies in the journals they appeared in as well, but the text applies quantitative analysis and decision making methods to the topic... which makes it a bit easier to realize.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:01 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
The really sharp ones are going to get away with defrauding the company if that's their intent. And they've probably managed to make their credit histories appear as pure as new fallen snow. The poor slob who gets snagged for a bad credit check often has high medical bills that were completely unexpected, an elderly parent with a sudden emergency, etc. etc. A person with a low credit score should be given the opportunity to at least explain what happened and show any supporting documents.

Listen to this one! I became ill with a disabling condition that the doctors (naturally) couldn't come up with a correct diagnoses for. By time they finally figured out what was going on, I'd run through my savings and everthing else and my credit was shot. The only job that I could find was this low key, low paying job where I took care of the interior plants for a big plant maintenance outfit. I was the one who took care of all those plants you see growing in bank lobbies or the atriums they have in posh hotels. I also watered the CEO's philodendron while I was at, and gave a squirt of water to the chief attorney's prized cactus collection. On top of that, my final client on my shift was a big car dealership that had been closed down by then, so I was given a master key which allowed me to roam the dealership to my heart's content.

You would not believe all the legal documents I sometimes had to dab dry with a tissue because some idiot decided to stick them underneath a hanging plant - wills, real estate paperwork, trusts - all the legal stuff you could imagine and more. That paperwork had SS numbers, mother's maiden name, pin numbers, you name it. And there was hardly ever anyone around because they didn't want me in the way when they were working. I could be a rich woman sitting on the beach with my off-shore bank account by now, it I had wanted to do such a thing. Same with the car dealership. They left out all the car keys with tags attached on this big bulletin board and the dealer plates were all tossed in a closet down the hall. I figured that if me and a few friends hit the place early - say around 8pm when the salesmen had all left, we'd have had a good 12 hour start before some used car salesman with a hangover came in and noticed the Jaguar was missing. And the so-called "guard" would stilll be asleep in his car at the far end of the lot as always.

So, going by my poor credit rating, I should be living the high life of the Sundance Kid aka Colorado Rambler down in Latin America right now. But no. Stupid me, I'm a (mostly) honest person. Sometimes I wonder though when that crummy credit history gets me turned down for yet another job...

Old 12-27-2014, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
New Jersey is one of those. The bills they passed are about a page long. So are Pennsylvania's.

Enforcement, however, is a horse of a different color.
According to which statute?

Old 12-27-2014, 06:03 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockhetHD View Post
Anybody ever lost a job or didn't get a job because of background check or credit check? Tell your story?
Yes a background check.

I applied to and was hired by a power plant company to work as a construction helper for $20 perhr, with the understanding that I'd be able to pick a career field like electrican, I'd train and once I was qualified I'd be making well over 30perhr. This was in the later part of 2003.

I was unemployed had gotten laid off from my signalman job with the railroad. My wife was pregnant. Needless to say I needed that job.

A few months earlier I had gotten a speeding ticket in a construction zone doing 35mph in a 20mph zone. It was a Sunday morning no one was even on that stretch of road when I got the ticket, but I was speeding.

I think either shortly before or after that speeding ticket I was laid off by the railroad and didn't have the money for the ticket, and really just pushed the ticket out of my mind. I was picking up odd jobs recently found out about the pregnancy. I just didn't think about the ticket my fault.

My drivers license was suspended, but I didn't know it.

A valid drivers license is required to be a construction helper, so when they did my background check and found my drivers license suspended that disqualified me for the job.

I had told everyone I had gotten this job, literally at least 10,000 people applied for the construction helper position(there was a story in local paper about the power company hiring for this job and how many had applied) and I was one of the few they hired. I was very proud, felt like everything would be alright financially.

I was personally devastated when I called and they told me the reality of it.

Last edited by Iamme73; 12-27-2014 at 06:20 AM..

Old 12-27-2014, 07:52 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
So you're trying to dispute academic studies by dismissing them and choosing not to read them? It seems like you don't even want to learn about the topic. You just want to push your agenda. If you really cared about the truth, you would be eager to study the sources I pointed you to. You've now revealed that you don't even care.

That's fine. A person who doesn't care to learn, is a poor teacher and preacher.
Nope I am not disputing anything, I am asking you to provide proof that is not going to cost someone $180 to find out whether your point has any validity. Fact is pointing to a book and telling me it is in there is no proof. Telling me there are acedemic studies in there is also not proof, once again it is taking someone's word, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary. Most academic studies are published online, so if the studies exist, and you have read them, what is so hard about providing a link?

I would think someone with a supposedly top education should understand that not providing sourced quotes and a direct link to your source is verifiable proof, and that saying oh it is in that book is not considered proof.

So once again where is your proof, as right now you have none.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:58 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times
I have a credit score in the 800s, but I do have school loans. I pay the loans on time - would that be held against me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Yes a background check.

I applied to and was hired by a power plant company to work as a construction helper for $20 perhr, with the understanding that I'd be able to pick a career field like electrican, I'd train and once I was qualified I'd be making well over 30perhr. This was in the later part of 2003.

I was unemployed had gotten laid off from my signalman job with the railroad. My wife was pregnant. Needless to say I needed that job.

A few months earlier I had gotten a speeding ticket in a construction zone doing 35mph in a 20mph zone. It was a Sunday morning no one was even on that stretch of road when I got the ticket, but I was speeding.

I think either shortly before or after that speeding ticket I was laid off by the railroad and didn't have the money for the ticket, and really just pushed the ticket out of my mind. I was picking up odd jobs recently found out about the pregnancy. I just didn't think about the ticket my fault.

My drivers license was suspended, but I didn't know it.

A valid drivers license is required to be a construction helper, so when they did my background check and found my drivers license suspended that disqualified me for the job.

I had told everyone I had gotten this job, literally at least 10,000 people applied for the construction helper position(there was a story in local paper about the power company hiring for this job and how many had applied) and I was one of the few they hired. I was very proud, felt like everything would be alright financially.

I was personally devastated when I called and they told me the reality of it.

Sorry. I hope you found a job since 12 years ago. Question, though. I don't drive; I don't have a driver's license for some medical and personal reasons. I apply for jobs that don't require a DL. I have reliable transit. I have a job already, though PT, and looking for a 2nd. I have held two jobs at once before - I was and am a good worker and always early. If a job doesn't specify a DL, would not having one be held against you in those types of jobs?

Old 12-27-2014, 08:01 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Nope I am not disputing anything, I am asking you to provide proof that is not going to cost someone $180 to find out whether your point has any validity. Fact is pointing to a book and telling me it is in there is no proof. Telling me there are acedemic studies in there is also not proof, once again it is taking someone's word, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary. Most academic studies are published online, so if the studies exist, and you have read them, what is so hard about providing a link?

I would think someone with a supposedly top education should understand that not providing sourced quotes and a direct link to your source is verifiable proof, and that saying oh it is in that book is not considered proof.

So once again where is your proof, as right now you have none.
I don't see the issue here. I just ordered the book because I want to read about it. It sounds fascinating and I want to learn about their assessment of these studies.

Most (like 99%) academic studies are not available free online. The only ones that the general public hear about are the ones that the media writes about. Even if he was to provide you a link, you would most likely have to pay for it on Ebscohost or another service. Don't get me started on this!... it's the only reason I pay the outrageous pricing for the ACM publishings section.

It seems like you're trying very hard not to educate yourself on the topic. How about you drop the excuses?

Old 12-27-2014, 08:02 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I have a credit score in the 800s, but I do have school loans. I pay the loans on time - would that be held against me?
Not at all. It seems like you are doing the right thing. Keep it up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search