Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 01:05 PM

254 posts, read 597,685 times

Advertisements

I got a call from a recruiter who told me of a good temp job which is for 3 months and is full time. Recently I was working part-time. I need full time work so I said ok. The recruiter then calls me to say they want to interview me. I have had temp jobs before, and so I thought it was unusual. I would just show up and that would be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 01:13 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Interviewing for a temp job seems to be the new thing. It's stupid and a waste of carefare and gas, if you ask me, but you need to do what's best for you.

Whatever they say, never, ever believe the job will become "temp to perm". This is a lie and a scam the temp agency and employer says to the temp to insure they do their "best" for the job. Don't fall for it.

Just do a google search and you'll see this to be true for others. They might "extend" the assignment for an extra week or month, but they won't hire you. Continue to look for other jobs on your own in the process.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
I got a call from a recruiter who told me of a good temp job which is for 3 months and is full time. Recently I was working part-time. I need full time work so I said ok. The recruiter then calls me to say they want to interview me. I have had temp jobs before, and so I thought it was unusual. I would just show up and that would be it.

It is now quite common, in fact this agency is most likely sending out other temps along with you to compete for the same position.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It is now quite common, in fact this agency is most likely sending out other temps along with you to compete for the same position.
Seain is right.

My last position with a Fortune 500 had done interviews beforehand and had to make a decision on who they would contract out.

I originally came in second and the chosen interviewee had gotten sick and was in the hospital, so they went with me.

They also don't hire temps permanently. They would prefer to interview internal candidates even if they aren't qualified.

The last temp in my department was hired permanently, but the manager told me they gave him a very hard time doing so. Personally, I would go on the interview and if you get the job then do it. I would also continue to look for permanent work while you are working as a temp.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Take it but look for another job immediately and don't wait for the temp job to finish either. Give them back exactly what they're dishing out. A job is for money, and they haven't forgotten that.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM

254 posts, read 597,685 times
The recruiter said it was a temp job only, for 3 months. Perhaps someone is preggers. I will be looking for another job as well.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:16 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
The recruiter said it was a temp job only, for 3 months. Perhaps someone is preggers. I will be looking for another job as well.
Can you do the temp job and work your retail job part time? That's what I would do given the 3-month time period.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:36 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Sounds like the company wants to verify that the temps are qualified as the staffing agency promised.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,386 times
We hire temps and interview them in person. We never tell the temp that this is temp-to-hire. However, the majority of time we hire the temps to permanent positions if they perform well and do not take advantage of the fact they are temps.

So OP listen to Marilyn if you want, but do not get mad if you underperform and learn they might have made you full time permanent.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
My opinion of temp jobs is they are better than nothing but If you take one you should be looking for a direct FTE job the entire time.

Yea before temp jobs were so undesirable that companies had to take anyone that was marginally qualified. That actually was a good way to break into a new field and get references. If the temp didn't work out he was let loose and they sent someone else. Now companies are demanding the same ridiculous standards of temps that they do for employees because they are using them in place of employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search