Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 03:09 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,942,903 times

Advertisements

I was verbally offered a job and salary, but I was told that they do not send official offer letters by mail. I was told I would get an email about what the next steps in the process are.

I do not know if they plan to include the salary information in the email, but I am not going to resign from my current position until they put the salary in writing in some form. Has anyone else heard of an organization doing things this way and do you think I am being reasonable? This is a first for me but I thought I would check in case this is now common.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 03:35 PM

400 posts, read 1,508,678 times
yes. ive had offers submitted via email and ive had to access a recruitment sight to get all the hiring/ onboarding information. but both ways it detailed the salary, start date, ... like you i would be concerned if i didnt get something that stated the salary and offer details

Old 02-27-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
yes. ive had offers submitted via email and ive had to access a recruitment sight to get all the hiring/ onboarding information. but both ways it detailed the salary, start date, ... like you i would be concerned if i didnt get something that stated the salary and offer details
I hadn't even considered the possibility that I would log into a system which might have the info. I'm supposed to get an email in a day or two, so I won't worry about anything until then. As I said, I'm not giving notice until I see something in writing (email or otherwise), so if they aren't willing to do that they can keep searching.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Don't give notice, lots of things can happen, and without a letter to back it up you should wait it out.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,969 times
Yes, email is standard now for official offers.

In addition to spelling out salary, benefits, and vacation days, it should have a firm start date. If you have questions about any of this, don't accept the offer (or give notice) until it is straightened out.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:17 AM

This whole situation is getting weird to the point where I am considering rescinding my verbal acceptance. This is an organization where some employees receive contracts and others work at-will. According to their HR department, they do not send out offer letters to at-will employees. I am trying to convince them that an offer in writing is a prerequisite for my acceptance, but I'm not sure they are willing to budge. If they don't put the offer in writing, I will rescind my acceptance. I will not resign my current position based on a telephone-based verbal offer from a stranger.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:22 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
This whole situation is getting weird to the point where I am considering rescinding my verbal acceptance. This is an organization where some employees receive contracts and others work at-will. According to their HR department, they do not send out offer letters to at-will employees. I am trying to convince them that an offer in writing is a prerequisite for my acceptance, but I'm not sure they are willing to budge. If they don't put the offer in writing, I will rescind my acceptance. I will not resign my current position based on a telephone-based verbal offer from a stranger.
I wouldn't be surprised if they rescinded the offer. You don't call the shots and decide how they do things there. Stop freaking out. Don't give notice, wait until you see what the email contains and take it from there.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post

Or, you can plan to start, and don't resign from your prior job. Just take a vacation day (or a few vacation days) when you start the new job. If you don't like the new job, then just go back to your old job after your vacation is up. If you like the new job, just resign from the old job "on the spot".

If they need you to turn over things, then offer to work with someone over the weekend to turnover things.

I have been on contract gigs where I didn't get official offer letters. Smaller places and contract jobs can be informal.

Realize - even if you DO get an offer letter, it doesn't mean the job won't fall through. They company could have budget cuts and decide to cut the position before you start or even 3 weeks after you start.

I know someone that went to work for a new company. The company has a massive layoff 3 weeks into the person starting the new job...and he was cut also. There are no guarantees.

What do you like about the new job?

Are you wlling to start the new job while taking vacation time from prior job? Will it cause your prior job to give a bad reference? Maybe not...as most likely in prior job if you were laid off they woundn't give you any notice and would walk you out immediately.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they rescinded the offer. You don't call the shots and decide how they do things there. Stop freaking out. Don't give notice, wait until you see what the email contains and take it from there.
I've received the email. It does not spell out the terms of the employment - it's just the on-boarding paperwork.

I could care less if the rescind the offer if this is how they conduct business. I have never heard of such a thing as not putting an offer in writing. I understand that at-will employment can be terminated at any time, but I have always received either an offer letter in the mail or a PDF in an email which, at the very least specifies the position and salary. I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation in the least.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:51 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
FWIW, I'm in Silicon valley and I've never encountered a company, small or big, that doesn't send out an offer letter (email or snail) with the terms of employment and start date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search