Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 11:03 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,841 times

Advertisements

In this job market, you should make it as easy for employers to contact you as possible. I would include my address, phone (both cell and home), e-mail, fax (if you have one), etc. If you don't want employers to contact you, then by all means exclude any of the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 11:16 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,396,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtta View Post
I do not put my address on my resume. For some reason, I have gotten lots of questions about my commute, so this makes me feel like they consider your commute. In my opinion that is my business, and if I want a short commute I will move my apartment closer to work.

One of the grimy parts of looking for a job is being forced to flip your personal information all around the internet. There are altogether too many websites exploiting this for their own gain - who knows where they sell their lists. There are also plenty of blind ads. Frankly you should expect your info to be compromised at some point.

I am even sick of giving out my email address, since I can't avoid crappy newsletters and spam from job boards, no matter how hard I try. They are tricky.
In my entire office, of the roughly 40 people there, only one person has a commute longer than 15 miles. Guess who is always late. And I sit where I can see this person walk in, and I do the payroll, so I know the person is late...you guessed it, the one who lives farther than 15 miles out.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:35 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
In my entire office, of the roughly 40 people there, only one person has a commute longer than 15 miles. Guess who is always late. And I sit where I can see this person walk in, and I do the payroll, so I know the person is late...you guessed it, the one who lives farther than 15 miles out.
Definitely matters but my last outside sales job I lived farthest 28 miles, 45 min generally, and I was typically first I think motivation is the biggest factor. Our worst snow day I woke up 90 min early just the price you pay for living in the nicest community but far from downtown.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:22 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,925,443 times
I'm no expert, but I only put my city, email address and phone number. I don't need employers knowing I live in the hood, ya know. lol. But seriously, it hasn't really hurt, that I can tell.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:09 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
The most popular recruiting software used by employers require addresses in candidate records. When a resume is submitted to an employer, HR will input everything into the software (if it wasn't part of the application process). Data is pulled from these records to generate offer letters and other communications (many of them internal). Often, the HR individual will not be able to create a record for the candidate without basic information, including the name, address, and phone number.

It's always best to have your full address on the resume.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:08 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
There was never a one page rule so not sure where it came from
I guess it came from the same place as the "2 week notice" rule.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:00 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,079,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I don't and won't, especially with all of these identity thief scams.

I use real name, email address and telephone number. This should suffice.
How would it lead to identity theft? This information is already available in the public records for a huge portion of the country.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:45 AM

278 posts, read 467,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Your address is your business when applying to a job?
No, my commute is my business. When I need to fill out an application, I do input my address.

Of course, I am much less committed to my neighborhood than most people. I don't own a home or have kids. It is a nice area where moving 15 minutes east or west wouldn't matter to my quality of life, so if a job is 40 minutes away, it should be my right to choose whether to move closer or stay and have a longer drive. I personally would see it as a choice between the commute or the neighborhood.

Companies are afraid you'd be looking for something closer to home, but this is not at all applicable to me. When you rent, it is just much easier to move than it is to find a good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
If the commute is variable, they should be leaving early so they have time for delays. This would make them early more often than not. If they are routinely late, their attitude is more responsible than the traffic.

There is no rule that says everyone must leave their house at the same time, just that they need to arrive at a certain time.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
I'm no expert, but I only put my city, email address and phone number. I don't need employers knowing I live in the hood, ya know. lol. But seriously, it hasn't really hurt, that I can tell.

I don't think employers put resumes aside because someone lives in a certain zip code

Old 03-16-2013, 02:37 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,829,678 times
If I was applying to a major company and on their website directly I would have no problem giving my full address. If I was unsure of the company I would just use my city,email,and phone number. On craigslist if the company was not listed I may even email them for the company name before I would give my phone number.
Some jobs and it seems more so if it is a entry level position want an employee that lives close to the job so I understand why they want the address. I would think a future employer would understand though if you were cautious by asking questions if they did not state specifics about the company but I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search