Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblair0023 View Post
And they probably also wanted to know if he can hold an intelligent conversation and that was their way of getting the ball rolling.

I've participated in interview teams where every candidate was told "we have other people to interview and we will decide within about a week," so this doesn't necessarily mean anything. We always interviewed the top seven people on the list. It may very well be the interviewer's standard way of wrapping up the interview.

Yeah like I said I could be wrong but normally if I hear a week or.....TWO then means you are not high on their list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 10:27 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
When they asked "tell me about yourself" they were not looking for a summary of his education and work history because that's already on the resume. They wanted to know who he was as a person and how that personality trait can help him succeed in the position and with the people who are already there

But if they didn't go over your resume, that's why they are asking. Only time I've been asked that question is when they obviously haven't. Asking that question lets them gauge my speaking abilities and gives them time to read over my documents they haven't had the chance to look over yet.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Thinking things over now, I think they liked me but they didn't love me so they want to see their other options.

The "fall back job" comment was what really makes me think I didn't get it.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:26 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
When interviewers tell you they haven't read your info and say 'so tell me about yourself." I don't think we can say with certainty WHAT they want to hear, only they know that. So I would say give a part experience/skills response, and part reason "why i'd fit in" (without saying those words obviously and being to presumptive.) Cover as many basics of what they might want to hear, so you're not too far off base either way. And then obviously based on their NEXT question, expound on a given area again, and hit a new one.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:37 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,082 times
Please read through this previous thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...y-wasting.html

If an employer wants to hire you they make no mistake in letting you know. You are not reading too much into it. You are doing what many women do during the dating process - noting the red flags and then choosing to ignore them!!! All you can do is follow up if you don't hear from them in the next couple days and see if they have made a decision or not. Keep applying elsewhere in the meantime.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:02 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
I had a similar experience at my interview and I got the job.

Be sure to send a thank you note or email.

Let us know what happens. Good luck!

Old 03-29-2013, 07:17 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Perhaps your reaction to "Tell us about yourself." showed on your face. Finding the question "extremely insulting" says very plainly that you don't do well in making pleasant conversation.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:26 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
It depends on where too, government can take FOREVER. It took me 8 months from application to "you got the job" for a goverment position. HIGHLY frustrating! I gave up on them, and then bam got a call MONTHS later for a second interview...

Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
It depends on where too, government can take FOREVER. It took me 8 months from application to "you got the job" for a goverment position. HIGHLY frustrating! I gave up on them, and then bam got a call MONTHS later for a second interview...

Yeah it took me 5 months for me to get hired at my government job, July to December. Actually if someone had told me about how long it took to get hired for a government job on 7/31 I probably would have never applied for it lol

Good thing no one told me

Old 03-29-2013, 08:45 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
dont be insulted. These days people are extremely busy at work. reviewing resumes/interviewing candidates can be a surprise appointment for many people. Maybe HR didn't even tell him until an hour prior to the interview. Maybe he had a major issue at work for the past 2 days that required all his time.

It's very common to be interviewed by someone that has not reviewed your resume. Sometimes they don't have a copy and ask your for a hard copy. You better have one ready and be polite about it. They might say "I just got asked to interview you 1 minute ago and have not seen your resume. Please tell me about yourself, and do you have a copy of your resume."

This is how it goes. Don't be insulted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search