Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
If your suit is uncomfortable, that means it's badly tailored. An ill-fitting suit looks worse than no suit at all. It makes you look like a bouncer or a limo driver. Spend the extra 500 bucks and get it done right.

That said, and I grant that the basic expectation in the past is that people look nice for interviews, expecting IT guys to look all "business attire" is hopeless. It's not the industry standard. They're going to be coding with pizza crumbs all over them, or crawling under desks in kakis and golf shirts.
$500 bucks? WHAT? I have never spent more than $100 for a suit! If it doesn't fit right I go pay a few dollars to get it made to fit.

Honestly I have bought beautiful interview clothes for jobs and have been told that I dress very professionally. Though I don't tell them at my work that I buy 90% of my clothes at thrift stores lol. Bottom line you don't have to spend a fortune to dress nicely. They are great thrift stores out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 02:21 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
$500 bucks? WHAT? I have never spent more than $100 for a suit! If it doesn't fit right I go pay a few dollars to get it made to fit.

Honestly I have bought beautiful interview clothes for jobs and have been told that I dress very professionally. Though I don't tell them at my work that I buy 90% of my clothes at thrift stores lol. Bottom line you don't have to spend a fortune to dress nicely. They are great thrift stores out there.
Yeah I hope he meant $50 for tailoring, because I expect more than that for $500. For white collar sales our suits are $200, but most don't even wear suits on appts. biz casual unless a law firm. Prospective customers get their guard up when you show up in a full suit expecting some hard core closing appt.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I remember interviewing someone and they came in wearing a hoodie and jeans. I rejected him outright.

On the flipside, for my current job I had a bunch of phone interviews (I didn't meet my boss face to face for 3 weeks after starting). And I ended up having a coffee meeting/interview with one of the other people. I had no idea what to wear! I ended up dressing business casual (cardigan, slacks, nice tee shirt).

That apparently was a fail! I obviously got the job, but I got some minor feedback about being casual. The hilarious thing is that my then boss, is always Mr. Under-dressed. If I would have interviewed with him, I would have seemed dressed up. I ended up interviewing with one of the only people who is always wearing a suit in the entire company!

Anyway, lesson learned, I'll dress up all the way up no matter how casual the interview situation seems.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:27 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,788 times
I've gotten the opposite feedback, being too dressed up:

I wore a navy made to measure wool 3 piece suit with functional buttonholes, silk tie, Egyptian cotton white shirt, white pocket square, silver lapel pin, silver cufflinks encrusted with rubies, an anodized aluminum pen, silk suspenders, and a wind-up watch with a chrome hidden flash drive. I'm only 23 so maybe they expected me to come in with a basic sack suit with no accessories or something.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
Bare minimum for like, a pizza delivery job is Khakis and a 3 button polo *tucked in*, maybe not shaven for a pizza delivery job

Quote:
or crawling under desks in kakis and golf shirts.
Ahh you figured me out. ha

mighty pelican, maybe you were too accessorized?

Old 04-09-2013, 03:17 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I remember interviewing someone and they came in wearing a hoodie and jeans. I rejected him outright.

On the flipside, for my current job I had a bunch of phone interviews (I didn't meet my boss face to face for 3 weeks after starting). And I ended up having a coffee meeting/interview with one of the other people. I had no idea what to wear! I ended up dressing business casual (cardigan, slacks, nice tee shirt).

That apparently was a fail! I obviously got the job, but I got some minor feedback about being casual. The hilarious thing is that my then boss, is always Mr. Under-dressed. If I would have interviewed with him, I would have seemed dressed up. I ended up interviewing with one of the only people who is always wearing a suit in the entire company!

Anyway, lesson learned, I'll dress up all the way up no matter how casual the interview situation seems.
the general rule of thumb is to dress one step up from how you expect you will be dressing at the job. so you really should wear a suit to an interview in a business casual environment. i guess you don't have to wear a tux or an evening gown to a place where they wear suits all the time though! i default to a suit (it's one i cobbled together with a black jacket and skirt i bought separately) for almost every interview. the only exception was a job at a super-hip artsy craftsy company where i wore a vintage dress and a cardigan and let my tattoos show.

also mighty pelican, it sounds like you were dressed like mr moneybags from monopoly or something!

Old 04-09-2013, 04:08 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
the general rule of thumb is to dress one step up from how you expect you will be dressing at the job. so you really should wear a suit to an interview in a business casual environment. i guess you don't have to wear a tux or an evening gown to a place where they wear suits all the time though! i default to a suit (it's one i cobbled together with a black jacket and skirt i bought separately) for almost every interview. the only exception was a job at a super-hip artsy craftsy company where i wore a vintage dress and a cardigan and let my tattoos show.
Interviews in "Silicon Valley" can be tricky indeed. Especially the faux-interviews that do not take place in an office. It is always a mixed bag. You can be on an "interview" at happy hour!

Old 04-09-2013, 04:25 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
I get your post, OP, but I do find it obnoxious that jobs paying $8-12 an hour are requiring applicants and workers to dress in suits. At that rate your whole salary practically goes to your clothes. Low paying jobs should allow jeans and polos.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:28 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I get your post, OP, but I do find it obnoxious that jobs paying $8-12 an hour are requiring applicants and workers to dress in suits. At that rate your whole salary practically goes to your clothes. Low paying jobs should allow jeans and polos.
I would never wear jeans even for $8 wear khakis and polo shirt.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
I've gotten the opposite feedback, being too dressed up:

I wore a navy made to measure wool 3 piece suit with functional buttonholes, silk tie, Egyptian cotton white shirt, white pocket square, silver lapel pin, silver cufflinks encrusted with rubies, an anodized aluminum pen, silk suspenders, and a wind-up watch with a chrome hidden flash drive. I'm only 23 so maybe they expected me to come in with a basic sack suit with no accessories or something.
Sounds a bit like you're dressing to show off rather than to present professionalism. Probably it's too much.

Generally, suit or jacket and tie, white shirt for first interview, use discretion thereafter. Second interviews at business casual I lose the tie. Even if a tie is appropriate I might add a little more color. To dress down a bit I tend to leave off the tie and keep the jacket rather than the other way around. Entry level should be at least nice pants (no jeans) and a polo at a minimum. Always tuck it in!

I don't think I've ever heard of someone not getting a job because they didn't dress casually enough.t
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search