Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:05 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,026 times

Advertisements

The subtle perfume thing isn't an out and out dealbreaker for me. Any strong smells are, and if I can smell you from 5' away across the desk, then your smell is strong.

This would all be so easily avoided if people followed the common sense, easily found on the internet and in job hunting books rule of "dress a little nicer than the employer's every day dress code." If you cannot determine the employer's dress code, you can certainly figure out the industry & region usual.

If it does not occur to you to consider what to wear, I do not want you working for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 10:57 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,950 times
Had an interview this morning and I dressed in my usual interview clothes and upon arriving at the company, I felt like I was wearing an evening gown at a BBQ. Plus, the interview lasted a whopping 20 minutes!

Yeah, I doubt I'll hear anything back from this place.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:00 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Had an interview this morning and I dressed in my usual interview clothes and upon arriving at the company, I felt like I was wearing an evening gown at a BBQ. Plus, the interview lasted a whopping 20 minutes!

Yeah, I doubt I'll hear anything back from this place.
How did you interview with Honey Boo Boo or Duck Dynasty?

I showed up in full suit they were bus. casual which is pretty typical.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
How did you interview with Honey Boo Boo or Duck Dynasty?

I showed up in full suit they were bus. casual which is pretty typical.
Felt like a mixture of HBB and DD! LOL! Seriously, though, it is a very casual atmosphere, company logo polos, jeans, etc., just felt really out of place and VERY overdressed. I expected a more business type atmosphere considering it is a nationwide company, but they operate in a warehouse type environment, concrete floors, the whole nine. Not that I couldn't do the job, I know that I could do it with my eyes closed, but in this instance, I wish I'd known ahead of time that I really didn't need to dress up the way I'm used to dressing up for interviews.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 AM

273 posts, read 1,061,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If you were hired as a stock broker and didn't buy decent clothes beforehand, you would really shoot yourself in the foot. First impressions matter a lot, and if the first impression of you is a ratty dressed person who refuses to invest in their appearance, then you most likely set yourself up for failure at that job. The job I have now requires me to wear a suit and tie every day. I spent a few thousand dollars on clothes before I started because I know that fitting in with a company's culture, making a good first impression, and earning the trust of co-workers is unbelievably important to actually performing well at a job.

Have some faith in yourself, invest now and use those three months to prove you deserve a high salary. Most brokers are paid mostly commission anyway, so your 'guaranteed income' is actually being good at what you do, not having a high base salary. If you have a three month period to prove yourself and prove you deserve a higher salary, you can't afford to NOT dress well and make good impressions.

Also, why wouldn't you have proactively studied for and passed the exam before applying to a job as a stock broker? I assume you talking about the series 7? Because that one isn't that hard to study for on your own...
the point is i am not going to spend a lot of money if i know i will have no income next week beyond the $200 a week (in nyc $200 pretax is a JOKE). the job was to try out, not a career or headfirst dive. besides, it's a commission job. i bet if i had made the firm thousands of dollars, they would let me dress in summer tshirt and shorts. all that matters on wall street is money, not looking cool or businesslike. at least not when all your clients are on the phone and can't see you. this is not a face to face position. it's no different than a telemarketer making cold calls which is what the job was. i knew this guy working as a broker who just came in the same clothes daily. some dark tshirt and jeans. they let him dress like that because he knew how to sell on the phone. why would they fire him? they would be losing money. this job wasn't tv or fashion or some media based production based on public opinion.

and studying for an exam and passing it is MEANINGLESS if you suck at selling stocks on the phone. why would i do that before testing how i am in actually doing the job? it's like a kid studying to become a doctor all the way through medical school and then in residency, he realizes he is scared of seeing blood or touching patients. total waste of time. the exam comes later. first comes the actual experience.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:36 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post
the point is i am not going to spend a lot of money if i know i will have no income next week beyond the $200 a week (in nyc $200 pretax is a JOKE). the job was to try out, not a career or headfirst dive. besides, it's a commission job. i bet if i had made the firm thousands of dollars, they would let me dress in summer tshirt and shorts. all that matters on wall street is money, not looking cool or businesslike. at least not when all your clients are on the phone and can't see you. this is not a face to face position. it's no different than a telemarketer making cold calls which is what the job was. i knew this guy working as a broker who just came in the same clothes daily. some dark tshirt and jeans. they let him dress like that because he knew how to sell on the phone. why would they fire him? they would be losing money. this job wasn't tv or fashion or some media based production based on public opinion.

and studying for an exam and passing it is MEANINGLESS if you suck at selling stocks on the phone. why would i do that before testing how i am in actually doing the job? it's like a kid studying to become a doctor all the way through medical school and then in residency, he realizes he is scared of seeing blood or touching patients. total waste of time. the exam comes later. first comes the actual experience.
First, why did you go for a heavily commissioned job in an industry where everyone knows appearances matter if you don't want to invest in your appearance and where you don't know if you are a good salesman or not?

Second, do you seriously not realize that studying for the series 7 would give you a huge indicator of whether or not you would like the job?

Third, what successful broker wears a t-shirt and jeans? Name a single one.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:37 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post

I think you're mixing up work attire versus interview-appropriate attire.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:46 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
I guess common sense isn't so common. Something tells me maybe these people didn't really want the job. Maybe they were fulfilling some unemployment benefit obligation. Seems pretty obvious that you dress to impress in almost all interview scenarios.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Felt like a mixture of HBB and DD! LOL! Seriously, though, it is a very casual atmosphere, company logo polos, jeans, etc., just felt really out of place and VERY overdressed. I expected a more business type atmosphere considering it is a nationwide company, but they operate in a warehouse type environment, concrete floors, the whole nine. Not that I couldn't do the job, I know that I could do it with my eyes closed, but in this instance, I wish I'd known ahead of time that I really didn't need to dress up the way I'm used to dressing up for interviews.
I interviewed for a job in a suit and definitely felt overdressed once. The owner of the company was walking around in sweatpants! Standard attire would normally be khakis and a button down shirt or polo.

I didn't get that job, but I doubt I would have fit in haha.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:56 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
I interviewed for a job in a suit and definitely felt overdressed once. The owner of the company was walking around in sweatpants! Standard attire would normally be khakis and a button down shirt or polo.

I didn't get that job, but I doubt I would have fit in haha.
I was interviewed by a team dressed in khaki shorts and Hawaiian shirts last year. I don't really mind how they're dressed. At least it seemed like they were laid back, and maybe that was what they were going for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search