Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 01:33 PM

29 posts, read 73,146 times

Advertisements

At the beginning of last month, I had a worst interview ever for an internal position. The bitchy interviewer just cracked down on me, and tried to dig out my employment gaps. Not surprisingly, I failed.

Right after the interview, I found another interesting internal vacancy. Rather emotionally as well as desperately, I fudged my employment dates of my previous employers by shortening the gap from 6 months to only 1 month. My thoughts was that it was an internal vacancy, I betted they wouldn't do a pre-employement screening again, and would just focus on my most recent job within the same organization.

Now I'm invited to the interview. I realized that I've made a mistake that I shouldn't have lied about the employment dates. Worse, I became jobless since this week. According to the HR, if the company "reemploys" me, they will have to do PES again. And probably they still keep my old archive.

Should I admit that I've made a mistake then probably I won't get hired (either an intentional or unintentional error. Or should I just stick to my lie, and fill the fudged dates in the PES form? If the second option is chosen, then I'll have to pray that they won't double check my previous form

Could anyone suggest how I should state about my previous employment during the interview? You may condemn me for my premature decision when writing the CV (I swear I never do it again, which is too dangerous). But please givbe me some constructive advice. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 01:42 PM

238 posts, read 1,957,956 times
I think you're fine. I know people who have fabricated 90% of their resumes (titles, length of employment, fictional education, etc.) and never had a problem. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but what's done is done and I think you'll be fine. Your lie is pretty minor in my opinion.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge13 View Post
I think you're fine. I know people who have fabricated 90% of their resumes (titles, length of employment, fictional education, etc.) and never had a problem. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but what's done is done and I think you'll be fine. Your lie is pretty minor in my opinion.
Thanks. I confess I was being emotional before sending out the CV. The previous interview just irritated me with my negative experience with my previous employer years ago. I thought anyway I couldn't get a job, so why just fudge a bit as the gap was purely not my fault?

But I regret now and won't do it again!

The thing is shall I also fill in the PES form with a fudged date if I get hired? I'm just afraid of being caught if they compare the form I signed 2 years ago when I entered the same company.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:42 PM

238 posts, read 1,957,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGGM View Post
Thanks. I confess I was being emotional before sending out the CV. The previous interview just irritated me with my negative experience with my previous employer years ago. I thought anyway I couldn't get a job, so why just fudge a bit as the gap was purely not my fault?

But I regret now and won't do it again!

The thing is shall I also fill in the PES form with a fudged date if I get hired? I'm just afraid of being caught if they compare the form I signed 2 years ago when I entered the same company.
While I don't want to endorse lying, at this point if you don't want to be "caught" you need to remain consistent. This means filling out any/all forms with those same fudged dates.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:16 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
You are without job now. What happens if they catch you?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
You are without job now. What happens if they catch you?
True. I've a few other interviews. One with the last employer; one with another bank (without lying).

Maybe I should go for the one who hires me with a true CV, if I have a choice.

Another trick I should make might be that I state I was redudant for 5 months (still being paid) and actually I stopped my servicing with that true date.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:28 PM

486 posts, read 1,255,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge13 View Post
In the day of linkedin, google, background checks, facebook, etc, how the heck does someone get away with this?

I think the only thing people could get away with fairly easily is just lying about the circumstances of leaving an employer (saying you quit instead of getting fired), as most employers won't disclose that info anyways.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:38 PM

I also change my employement dates on linkedin upon receiving the invitation.

But if you state that you quit, the hiring manger would doubt whether you get easily bored, as I've already too many employers (4 for less than 5 years!).

I also merged the first 2 employers to one, as the experience were kind of continuous. I joined this company with already sort of "fake" CV.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:39 PM

486 posts, read 1,255,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGGM View Post
I also change my employement dates on linkedin upon receiving the invitation.

But if you state that you quit, the hiring manger would doubt whether you get easily bored, as I've already too many employers (4 for less than 5 years!).

I also merged the first 2 employers to one, as the experience were kind of continuous. I joined this company with already sort of "fake" CV.
I didn't say lying about the circumstances about you leaving a job would make you look better, I just said its probably the only thing that's easy to get away with.

But I guess not, considering people are talking about making up 90% of their resume.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
I didn't say lying about the circumstances about you leaving a job would make you look better, I just said its probably the only thing that's easy to get away with.

But I guess not, considering people are talking about making up 90% of their resume.
Oke, I get your point.

What would you suggest me to do during the interview when they question about my previous experience? Shall I just say I lied about my CV or simply it was a mistake about the dates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search