Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 08:46 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times

Advertisements

They do and it is part of their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 10:37 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,480 times
I think it's like any other job, where some people will stoop pretty low to earn a buck, and others find their job rewarding, take pride in being a smart, effective professional, like being able to look at themselves in the mirror and feel proud of what they do, and are looking for the win-win.

I've had both good and bad experiences, but here's the one that actually shocked me at the time (but makes me laugh now):

I was sent on an interview for an entry-level job at a well-known, desirable company. I was excited about the interview, but it became clear when the HR person explained the job to me that it was not what I wanted (and would not lead to what I wanted).

So I thanked her for her time and interest, communicated my strong interest in other future entry-level positions that I knew the company hired for that were more in line with my goals, but let her know I wasn't interested in pursuing this position further. It was a very cordial conversation on both sides, because I thought they were an awesome company and so certainly conveyed that I genuinely appreciated their considering me for anything, and, while I can't know what she was thinking, it was probably something along the lines that better I've figured out immediately that this isn't the right job for me rather than wasting people's time having it go further, and maybe that if I ever did make a statement like "This is my ideal job" (about some future opening) she could rely on me to be telling the truth.

When I reported back to the recruiter on what had happened, he screamed at me that you never, ever, ever do what I did, that you are to smile and say yes to everything they tell you even if they tell you to ______________. (Use your imagination! I'll just say not remotely related to the actual job description!) He really lost it and was actually yelling!

Where do you think his interest lay, with whether I got the right (best possible) job for me, or whether he earned a commission for putting me into whatever job he could put me in with the least effort?

Here's another thing I learned from my dealings with that same recruiter (this is in fact how I wound up in that situation of being in an interview for a job I didn't want to settle for without at least trying to get something better):

If you have both Skill Set A and Skill Set B, and Skill Set A is in demand but Skill Set B isn't, but you really, really want a job in which you use Skill Set B, you have to hide the fact that you have Skill Set A.

Because when the recruiter is trying to match job orders up with applicants in such a way as to maximize his or her commissions, that recruiter is missing out on an opportunity to make two commissions instead of one by sending you for the job that is your heart's desire but that he or she will have no problem filling with someone else (someone who doesn't have Skill Set A, only B). From the recruiter's point of view, better to "save you" for the Skill Set A position he or she may not be able to fill otherwise.

By the way, I've also gotten opportunities through agencies that I would never have had otherwise and met some recruiters I really was very fond of personally. They were much nicer people than the guy in the above anecdote, but also (something that I've been lucky enough to have happen occasionally) our objectives aligned well because the skills I wanted to use were the skills that happened to be in demand with their clients at the time.

So yes, when I think of the guy who yelled at me, I have no doubt that some of them could possibly do something that to me would seem unconscionable, but when I think of others, I think no way would they stoop to such a thing--they just aren't that type of person. (Of course I have no idea about the specific person you're talking about.) So hope for the best, which is hopefully not unrealistic (despite how competitive things can be, I think the good recruiters would have a chance of hanging onto their jobs, without resorting to these tactics, when their agency does a lot of repeat business with the same clients, because the clients would rather deal with smart, nice, professional people than with jerks--no?) ... but I guess people are people--all kinds out there.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:02 PM

286 posts, read 851,290 times
If you think recruiters care about you, you are in for some disappointment. But there are many factors involved. The employer interview many people and they may like several of the people the recruiters have presented, but they have to cut it down to a select few to interview. SO if you don't make the cut, they won't bother to contact you. It sucks, but they are too busy to be courteous and nice. Job hunting is harsh.

You should always continue to job hunt. Don't put it on hold. Do not put all your hope into that possible interview. You are competing with hundreds of people, so chances are against you.

You use recruiters as a tool. You use them and they use you.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:09 AM

238 posts, read 1,957,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
More often than not, yes.

Job seekers and employees are merely expendable commodities to them. If they can't make money off of you, you're useless to them.
I work for a consulting firm, and no one here would ever do that to a candidate. While it's true that unless a placement can be made, recruiters don't want to spend too much time on someone, but it's also our reputation on the line. Our largest source of business is through word-of-mouth, so to lead someone on and then completely drop off the face of the planet is inexcusable and would be extremely detrimental to our business.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
True but nothing wrong with it. Just part of life.
Something being a part of life doesn't make it right.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Something being a part of life doesn't make it right.
There's nothing wrong with them trying to keep you as a candidate. If they lie to you, then it's unethical but what can they lie? You are still in the race? OK, then shame on you if you stop looking because "someone told you" that you are still in the race. Even they told you that they would send you an offer, you quit before seeing the paper, it's still your fault, isn't it?

The whole realm of "lead people on" is BS. You make your own decision, and you are an adult. Nobody can lead you one if you choose not to be led.

There's nothing wrong with them not contacting you. You wouldn't contact them when you have a nice job, would you? So, it goes both ways.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:18 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with them not contacting you. You wouldn't contact them when you have a nice job, would you? So, it goes both ways.
if i was working with a recruiter, or in the process of interviewing with a company, and i got another position, YES i would tell them. that's just common courtesy and takes about 30 seconds to do.

ever hear that two wrongs don't make a right?

i do think that you're right that it's not the recruiter's fault that the OP's husband stopped job searching, though. as i said earlier, i don't think any recruiter would even expect an applicant to do that, so it makes no sense to "lead them on" for that purpose.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Quote:

The whole realm of "lead people on" is BS. You make your own decision, and you are an adult. Nobody can lead you one if you choose not to be led.

Generally when a person tells you that they will call you in the next few days to give you the flight info for your trip to the employers, yes, I would expect them to call me, not drop off the planet and pretend they never told me to prepare for the trip.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Generally when a person tells you that they will call you in the next few days to give you the flight info for your trip to the employers, yes, I would expect them to call me, not drop off the planet and pretend they never told me to prepare for the trip.
Yes, you can expect that. :-) Yes, it's unprofessional for them not contacting you.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
if i was working with a recruiter, or in the process of interviewing with a company, and i got another position, YES i would tell them. that's just common courtesy and takes about 30 seconds to do.

ever hear that two wrongs don't make a right?

i do think that you're right that it's not the recruiter's fault that the OP's husband stopped job searching, though. as i said earlier, i don't think any recruiter would even expect an applicant to do that, so it makes no sense to "lead them on" for that purpose.
I meant when you have a good job, you wouldn't be calling your recruiters just to say hi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search