Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 05:37 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,218,598 times

Advertisements

Dh recently had a headhunter tell him that he passed the phone interview and the employer really liked him, and his experience and resume. He was told that they would be sending him to another state for an in person interview the next week, and she would get back with him by Fri with the date. Friday came and went and no word. He emails her on Monday asking when he should take off work to go down and she tells him that they may be interviewing more people this week. 2 weeks gone and nothing.

Dh was pretty confident that he had a good shot at this job, so he wasted over 1 week not applying for other jobs.

Do headhunters ever give people false hope/info in the hopes of keeping them on the hook in case the company does seriously consider the applicant? So the applicants do not go off working with other recruiters and applying for other jobs where they will not gain a commission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 05:59 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
i don't know if they do that. i don't know that they'd expect people to halt their job searches for one possible position like that.

which brings us to the fact that he should be continuing to look regardless. an interview is not a job offer, no matter how good you feel about it. he should keep applying to jobs until he has an offer in hand, no matter where he is in the process with any given one.

and keep in mind that things happen, things can get delayed, and people can be bad at getting back to people. just because the recruiter is being uncommunicative doesn't mean he isn't getting an interview. there may be something holding the process up.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:06 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
More often than not, yes.

Job seekers and employees are merely expendable commodities to them. If they can't make money off of you, you're useless to them.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:09 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Dh recently had a headhunter tell him that he passed the phone interview and the employer really liked him, and his experience and resume. He was told that they would be sending him to another state for an in person interview the next week, and she would get back with him by Fri with the date. Friday came and went and no word. He emails her on Monday asking when he should take off work to go down and she tells him that they may be interviewing more people this week. 2 weeks gone and nothing.

Dh was pretty confident that he had a good shot at this job, so he wasted over 1 week not applying for other jobs.

Do headhunters ever give people false hope/info in the hopes of keeping them on the hook in case the company does seriously consider the applicant? So the applicants do not go off working with other recruiters and applying for other jobs where they will not gain a commission?
I'm sure they just tell everyone that, yes. Can never waste time not applying waiting for another offer. What good does waiting do? Applying for another job will not hurt your chances for that one, so what harm can it do?

Old 05-16-2013, 06:13 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post

POssibly. But I know from working with recruiters that if they are not working for the company directly, they also are led on. They were very possibly told what he told you. And they are irritated and hoping they do not lose their prospect because the company is messing with them.

One important thing to remember is if the recruiter makes the placement, the company owes a fee. But if the company fills the opening themselves, no fee. So sometimes, the recruiter gets tossed around a little.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:46 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
All the time. I've yet to meet a recruiter who actually has a job available, despite having advertised it.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 PM

23,541 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Completely agreed. They are nothing but modern day sharks. Once they figure they can make money from "selling" you, they will try. If they figure they cannot, you will never hear from them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

Job seekers and employees are merely expendable commodities to them. If they can't make money off of you, you're useless to them.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:19 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

True but nothing wrong with it. Just part of life.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
OP, you should never stop looking until you decide to take the offer. So it is your decision to stop. Don't blame the recruiter.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:33 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,218,598 times
Well, in the past he was always placed into very good positions through recruiters right away. This time out is a bit different because it is out of state and in an entirely different regional job market. We see now that he must keep at the search.

I'm not blaming the recruiter, just wondering if it happens. I could see how if I were a recruiter and I found a job for someone who was actively trying to get several jobs, and they turned down my job for another, I would be disappointed that I invested time in this person. That is why the thought about recruiters offering false hope to keep people in the hook crossed my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search