Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:48 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
if i was working with a recruiter, or in the process of interviewing with a company, and i got another position, YES i would tell them. that's just common courtesy and takes about 30 seconds to do.

ever hear that two wrongs don't make a right?

i do think that you're right that it's not the recruiter's fault that the OP's husband stopped job searching, though. as i said earlier, i don't think any recruiter would even expect an applicant to do that, so it makes no sense to "lead them on" for that purpose.
Agreed. I would also contact the recruiter as well.

I loathe being left in limbo, so I try my best not to do the same to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 08:51 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I meant when you have a good job, you wouldn't be calling your recruiters just to say hi.
oh, ok. but that's not the same as having someone waiting to hear back from you and ignoring them. the recruiter could send a quick e-mail saying the process is moving more slowly than expected if there's no other news to report. especially if they've already been asked, which it sounds like they have been.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:34 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
I can tell you exactly how they lie: they place ads for jobs that don't exist. I know this for a fact.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:45 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
oh that's absolutely true. i generally stay away from recruiter and agency ads because they'll place an ad for what seems like a specific job just to collect resumes.

they do the same thing to employers - they'll contact them to say that they have an exceptional candidate for a posted job and once they get a response it will turn out they're just trying to recruit new people for the position or pull from their roster of resumes (that they probably got with a fake job post, haha!)

they do post real jobs too, but there's no way i've found to tell the difference.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:30 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
oh that's absolutely true. i generally stay away from recruiter and agency ads because they'll place an ad for what seems like a specific job just to collect resumes.

they do the same thing to employers - they'll contact them to say that they have an exceptional candidate for a posted job and once they get a response it will turn out they're just trying to recruit new people for the position or pull from their roster of resumes (that they probably got with a fake job post, haha!)

they do post real jobs too, but there's no way i've found to tell the difference.

I never could understand WTH is the point of collecting resumes, but that is the game they play. My dh has been horsed around for years by various headhunters---- I guess they collect resumes, collect job openings, then try to match them up. But what employer would pay a HH $$$ to find someone they could find themselves? The whole thing is one big scam!

Old 05-17-2013, 03:34 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
It's the recruiters hobby to collect resumes like people collect stamps.

Don't use them if you don't like them. Simple as that.

My job was placed my a recruiter and I am very grateful for that.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:55 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Don't use them if you don't like them. Simple as that.
I so wish it were that simple.

Glad you it worked out for you, though. For me and my husband, they have done nothing but waste our time and try to poach our references and/or coworkers.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:49 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
In most cases, the companies mislead and manipulate the recruiters. Recruiting companies offer contingency agreements with companies. Companies are under no obligation to hire candidates that recruiters show them. Companies will exploit recruiters by lying to them and telling them they are willing to use their (recruiter's) services if they find the "right" candidate. But in most cases, companies are not willing to pay the high recruiter fees (30% of candidate's first year base salary) unless they find the "perfect" candidate. Companies typically have unrealistic expectations and will only pay a fee if the recruiter can somehow find that candidate who walks on water. Companies know these candidates rarely exist and have no real intention of paying to hire a very good candidate that they would have hired on their own otherwise. The company will tell the recruiter, the candidate is excellent etc, then the HR person or hiring manager will review the candidate's resume with other managers, and in most cases they will determine the candidate is not worthpaying a recruiting fee for. Sadly, the company will not provide this feedback to the recruiter. The recruiter will hound them for days to get a response. This sounds like the case here.

So what's the moral of the story?

Don't use recruiters!!! You can do everything a recruiter can do. You can e-mail your resume to HR and hiring managers directly. You can go online and find jobs on your own. You can e-mail your CV to HR and the managers directly. You can call companies to follow up on your resume. Most importantly, you should ALWAYS tell them that you are NOT being represented by a recruiter and are the candidate itself. When you send your resume, be sure to say you are the candidate who is applying and are not being represented by an agency or headhunter. Recruiters will e-mail companies many resumes in a spam-like fashion and hiring managers get annoyed. So make certain to say you are not being represented by a recruiter. To the company, this is code for "We don't have to pay a huge recruiting fee to hire this person" And you will improve your chances of being hired.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:58 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Yes, all the time.

1) You get an email about a "great job opportunity in your area." Now, assuming it's not spam (most are), you'll be lucky if it contains enough information to even figure out the job and location, much less if it's worth investigating. My favorites include ones that lack nearly all vital information or only list a state as a location, because all states are tiny and take up no real space on the map, apparently.

2) So, you ask them about the job. Now, the fun begins! Maybe the job no longer exists, but they can lead you on with other jobs... which also may not exist. Maybe they can waste your time with tests, first-round interviews, and heaven only knows what else... whatever it takes to eat up your time and prevent you from directly interfacing with the employer (if there is one) since that would cut them out since they are just middlemen.

3) In the end, many of them vanish and pretend you never contacted them. Or, they come up with interesting excuses as to why you never got past them for a real interview. Whatever the case, most of the time they'll just lead you on and then vanish on you.

Long story short: most of them are a complete waste of time, and they are plenty of scammers out there that are even worse than useless posing as recruiters while trying to collect information.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:04 PM

134 posts, read 276,273 times
Most recruiters are a waste and play deceitful mind games. Usually they become recruiters because they can't get jobs themselves.

I know many of them hate their jobs and only came about it because they couldn't cut it elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search