Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 03:26 PM

382 posts, read 664,136 times

Advertisements

You probably should just list each position you have separately then. So the interviewer eyes doesn't pop up and think that you started right at management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 03:31 PM

103 posts, read 167,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
You probably should just list each position you have separately then.
So should I list my satellite technician job twice and on one put the lead tech and on the other put the position i started off as which was a regular installer

Old 06-21-2013, 03:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,478 times
I know it is always good advice to be able to lists your job tasks and be able to quantify things. But I would be prepared to expand on these two:

Discovered and helped implement new installation techniques which increased productivity by50% and created savings for the company in excess of $30,000 annually

Implemented remote support saving the company over 300+ hours of downtime and saved themover $5,000 annually in tech support

Old 06-21-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I know it is always good advice to be able to lists your job tasks and be able to quantify things. But I would be prepared to expand on these two:

Discovered and helped implement new installation techniques which increased productivity by50% and created savings for the company in excess of $30,000 annually

Implemented remote support saving the company over 300+ hours of downtime and saved themover $5,000 annually in tech support
I understand what tour saying. And I can fully explain all that. Before mynjnstallation techniques were implemented the company would waste a lot of material. Afterwards all thataterial did not get wasted therefore saving them.money. also at the it job the first year they paid about 5000 total for the whole year of a lot of support that they needed for when I wasn't able to make it in time or customers they lost due to them not wanting to wait afterwards all they would do is call me and I would remote in and fix the issue and they saved all that money the 2nd year around.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-21-2013, 03:54 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,098 times
OP, your resume looks great. Given how young you are, it is very impressive and it translates to HR as saying that you are a go-getter. Since you are gearing yourself for the IT field, I think the resume is great as it is (certifications first, professional experience second, and education third). Typically you lead with your strongest suit and then list the next strongest and so on, and based on your unique setup it looks like you did just that.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:42 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,115,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixa241 View Post
Thanks guys for the replies. Yes I know I am young but I started off as a regular technician. about 8 months after working there they liked how I did my installs and how much faster I was then all the other techs so they promoted me to Lead tech. I would over see the other techs and train them to implement my installation techniques therefore adding to the workload in a day and being able to save on material. And although I was a technician we were also able to do sales if we brought the customer in. I saw this as an opportunity and would bring in whole apartment complexes into it and every tenant would go through me for the signing up of the service therefor profiting the company I worked for. I know not many my age are like this, but I had a great opportuinity and I worked hard for it.
You missed the point. You left the most interesting part off the resume. This is the stuff that an employer cares about. While it could easily fit in a cover letter, cover letters are not always read though. If there are several candidates to review, they will scan the resumes in 5-10 seconds and skip the cover letter.

Other than that, your resume is still better than the average guy. If you are smart as you say, you will move up quickly.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You missed the point. You left the most interesting part off the resume. This is the stuff that an employer cares about. While it could easily fit in a cover letter, cover letters are not always read though. If there are several candidates to review, they will scan the resumes in 5-10 seconds and skip the cover letter.
Thanks that is what I'm trying to add on the resume so it can show exactly that. What do you think would be the best way to word/add it on the resume?

Old 06-21-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
OP, your resume looks great. Given how young you are, it is very impressive and it translates to HR as saying that you are a go-getter. Since you are gearing yourself for the IT field, I think the resume is great as it is (certifications first, professional experience second, and education third). Typically you lead with your strongest suit and then list the next strongest and so on, and based on your unique setup it looks like you did just that.
Thank you and yes I am a go getter. At my current full time job which I did not list I have become a lead hand within a year so i like to reach for the stars

Old 06-21-2013, 06:22 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
I'd rewrite your resume to something like:

Quote:
TECHNICAL SKILLS
Systems: Windows and Mac OS (no NT or Server?)
Languages: HTML, Visual Basic
Software: MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access), McAfee/Norton VirusProtection Utilities, TeamViewer
Networking: LAN/WAN Administration, VPN, TCP/IP

CERTIFICATIONS
Microsoft MS 70-643 (Windows Server 2008 Applications, Configuring)
Microsoft MS 70-680 (Windows 7, Configuration)
Microsoft MS 70-640 (Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring)
Comptia A+

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
IT Technician, Patron Tax (Dec 2010 - Present)

- Implemented remote support systems which reduced 300+ hours of downtime and $5,000 annually in tech support costs.
- Provided 7x24 monitoring of all systems and network infrastructure to ensure 99.99% uptime.
- Provided recommendations for continuous improvements through analysis of performance metrics
- Deployed disaster recovery infrastructure and processes to allow for redundancy in the event of system failure and other business disruptions
- Planned, coordinated, and implemented network security measures for users? datacenter?
- Revamped network infrastructure that increased network performance by x%

Lead Satellite Technician, Dish Network (Feb 2010 - Feb 2012)

- Reworked and implemented new installation techniques which increased productivity by 50% and reduced costs by $30,000 annually
- Supervised 20+ Technicians to ensure rapid responses and efficient work. Provided mentoring and training on installation techniques and customer service skills that was instrumental in acquiring a new customer, generating over $100,000 in revenue.
- Installed satellites, receivers, and additional equipment as well as run all wiring and cabling to proper specifications in addition to maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot, generate creative solutions, deliver effective resolutions to customer issues.

EDUCATION
Bachelor of Science, Information Technology Network Design & Management
Western Governors University, Salt Lake City, UT

Course of study includes:
- Network infrastructure design and security
- IT project management
- Technical project planning
- Business case analysis

Old 06-21-2013, 08:32 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,115,616 times
Jaypee is a stud. He knows what the boss wants to see.

Most people do little more than reword the job descriptions from their last company. When management reviews a resume, they are focusing on who will make the most money for his dept/company. Give me the numbers and explain what you did to hit the numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search