Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:05 PM

11 posts, read 13,872 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I really need some advices here on what I should do..

Long story short, after gruesome search of employment, I finally received an offer.
And I was given 5 business days to respond, but here is the thing. I had an interview with 2 other companies a week before and I'm waiting to hear from them.

My preference is with company C then B, which I'm waiting on..
My friend suggested I should take the offer from Company A, then if offer from B or C comes along, put two weeks in and move on.

But I was thinking calling company C and B and tell them I have a job offer already and I need a decision from them within this week.. which can be a risky move, since I don't want to rush them and hurt my chances.

What would you do in my situation?

and if a company offers 5 business days to respond, can I respond on the last day or should I respond sooner?

Thanks and please give me some advice..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 11:12 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,058,855 times
Take A, then if B or C comes through bail on A

Old 10-14-2013, 11:17 PM

11 posts, read 13,872 times
Well okay, but is it okay to wait until the last day to respond?

Old 10-14-2013, 11:21 PM

I wouldn't wait, at least not the entire time.

If you are prepared to bail on them if one of the other jobs comes through, what difference does it make?

Old 10-15-2013, 05:22 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,502,666 times
It's ok to contact B and C and let them know you have another offer and let them know you are very interested in them and see if they have a decision in next day or two. But this could backfire because they might write you off completely if they aren't ready to decide immediately. They will assume you took A rather than wait.

But I don't think I would contact A in your situation. Instead I think I would take A and respond in next day or wo that youa accept. If B or C comes through later then bail on A only after background check/drug test results are completed for B/C. Then you leave A off your resume.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:49 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,738,598 times
"a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush"

Old 10-15-2013, 06:51 AM

17,340 posts, read 22,090,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
"a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush"
and "after gruesome search of employment".........you got an offer.....TAKE IT.

If the other two potential employers wanted you then they would have made an offer to you earlier.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:13 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,421,062 times
You can contact the other company and tell them you have an offer and ask them when do they expect to make a decision because though they are your first choice, you have to respond to the other company by x time

Old 10-15-2013, 08:16 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,089,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
You can contact the other company and tell them you have an offer and ask them when do they expect to make a decision because though they are your first choice, you have to respond to the other company by x time
This ^^^

Don't fiddle around too much. Bird in the hand thing.....

Old 10-15-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
^^^^^^

Not this.

As a HM I really, really, really hate being pressured to make a decision.

If you are such a phenomenally great candidate that I MUST have you, I will probably contact you within 24 hours of the interview.

If you are one of several reasonable candidates, but I need to check references or do a bit more research before making a final decision, contacting me with a deadline is a great way to eliminate yourself. My response is very likely to be a polite "take the other job".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search