Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:05 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,420,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
^^^^^^

Not this.

As a HM I really, really, really hate being pressured to make a decision.

If you are such a phenomenally great candidate that I MUST have you, I will probably contact you within 24 hours of the interview.

If you are one of several reasonable candidates, but I need to check references or do a bit more research before making a final decision, contacting me with a deadline is a great way to eliminate yourself. My response is very likely to be a polite "take the other job".
Yes but that is your personal take, as a HM, I wouldn't do that and have been in that same position before. What do you expect the OP to do when they have an offer and are waiting on another company? It is better to get a solid definite NO early on if that's what's going to end up happening anyways as opposed to waiting around and having the other offer expire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 09:42 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It's ok to contact B and C and let them know you have another offer and let them know you are very interested in them and see if they have a decision in next day or two. But this could backfire because they might write you off completely if they aren't ready to decide immediately. They will assume you took A rather than wait.

But I don't think I would contact A in your situation. Instead I think I would take A and respond in next day or wo that youa accept. If B or C comes through later then bail on A only after background check/drug test results are completed for B/C. Then you leave A off your resume.
This is what you do. Employers wouldn't hesitate to treat you this way, there is no reason you shouldn't do the same. Take A within 2 days. If you get B or C, just bail on A. It'll be during your probationary period where they can fire you without cause at a moments notice and not bother to explain a thing. (The law actually allows them to do this at any point in most states, but it is common practice during probationary period.) They wouldn't give you two weeks notice, so why worry about giving it to them if you have worked there less than a month? Take it, if you get the others, that is great for you.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:56 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
You can contact the other company and tell them you have an offer and ask them when do they expect to make a decision because though they are your first choice, you have to respond to the other company by x time
I would edit this and contact the other companies, telling them that you have an offer from the other company and ask when they expect to make a decision. Leave off the deadline so you aren't rushing the HM.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:18 AM

11 posts, read 13,866 times
Hmm is email fine? I hate calling..

Old 10-15-2013, 12:15 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,420,069 times
Yes email is better than calling especially if that's been their preferred method of communication

Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 PM

11 posts, read 13,866 times
hey guys a little update on what happened.

The company C wants me back this friday for a 2nd interview... Now I have until this friday to sign the offer from company A. There is a chance that company C give me an offer after the interview and make me start on the following Monday. I negotiated with Company A to allow me to start next week, but they put down immediate on the offer..so I'm afraid if I accept it on tomorrow, they are going to make me start the next day..

Hmm days are counting by, such a hard decision to make.. What should I do?

Am I allowed to sign the offer, then not show up on the first day? Do I have to give two week notice? What is the law behind this?

Old 10-15-2013, 06:05 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksy312 View Post

The company C wants me back this friday for a 2nd interview... Now I have until this friday to sign the offer from company A. There is a chance that company C give me an offer after the interview and make me start on the following Monday. I negotiated with Company A to allow me to start next week, but they put down immediate on the offer..so I'm afraid if I accept it on tomorrow, they are going to make me start the next day..

Am I allowed to sign the offer, then not show up on the first day? Do I have to give two week notice? What is the law behind this?
IF you don't show up on the first day, don't ever bother showing up because you won't have that job.

Company A cannot "make" you start the day after you accept the offer. By saying immediate(when can you start), it's pretty rare than any company expects you to report the next day. They usually need a few days (or longer) to get security pass/HR records/userids/emails, PC, desk/work area set up for you.

When you accept...then a 'start date' is discussed at that point. See if you can get a start date of not next Monday, but Monday that is 1.5 week away. Or if you must start sooner, then start next Monday(which gives you time for the interview this Friday). Most people need a few days to get ready for a new job, such as get kids into daycare, arrange work attire, get car services, complete any outstanding appts you already had scheduled.

As far as 2 weeks notice. If you are quitting within a month or two (or 3) of starting a new job, you usually leave this short term job OFF your resume and off all future applications (unless gov). So 2 weeks is only really needed if you need the reference. But if you are leaving that job off the resume, who cares if you didn't show up or resigned after the first week.

BTW, Job B and C might have to do background search or drug test. Don't bail on A until those are completed successfully. Even you if don't take any drugs. there are some false positives.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:05 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksy312 View Post

The chances of C giving you the job on Friday are small. They may very well hire you, but you won't know until next week.

Tell company A yes, you can start Monday. That's close enough to immediately that they won't blink. If they question you, just tell them you have some errands to run on Friday.

Goto the interview with C on Friday.

If C gives you an offer better than A, then bail. Two weeks notice is not a legal requirement, it is simply common courtesy. If you walked off the job on Tuesday morning there is nothing that they could do.

For a shorter answer, see my post at the beginning of the thread. Same advice.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:45 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,350 times
No offense guys, but I'm appalled at how many people would accept A and then jump ship if B or C finally came through.

This is the dance you have to do when applying for multiple jobs. I've had several times where I had an initial interview with 2 companies. A came back quickly and offered and while the appeal of B was strong, I knew A was still a good choice. 2 weeks after starting A, B came back with offer. I would have NEVER considered leaving A for B at that point. Honestly, this happens pretty much every time I find myself applying. I've turned down a lot of interviews for jobs that I may have loved because another company moved faster and made an offer.

If you take A and just don't show up, I'd make sure there wasn't any kind of paper trial that future employers could find out about you accepting and then being a no show

Old 10-15-2013, 08:58 PM

69 posts, read 141,351 times
I assume are collecting UI? If you are, the real problem is if you fill out the I-4 tax form and then the other job opens up and you take that, Unemployment might ask you why you turned down that job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search