Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:23 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,510,985 times

Advertisements

I would take one of the other positions. Then if JPM falls through, you have a job! Plus you will have better experience in 6 months when you decide to resign and take the JPM job. (Periodically companies have cutbacks and they close all unfilled positions as part of these cutbacks, rather than layoff real people that are already working. Your job can easily fall into this category).

However, there is a remote chance that you love your new job and decide to stay there. You won't know until June, when your 'decision time' occurs. Don't tell ANYONE at your new job about the JPM position.

Let me tell you my story:
I had been accepted into a college and had 4 months before school started. I got a full-time job for a Fortune 50 company, with full intention of resigning in order to attend school. I kept this to myself, never telling anyone at my new job.

3 months into my new job, I decided to stay there rather than resign to attend the college program that I was already accepted into. Ended up working at the Forune 50 company for 15 years , moving up the ladder. They had 100% tuition assistance and I ended up going to a different college (completely different major) part-time, while working full time. Many years later I look back and realize this was the best choice for me. Thank goodness I took that "4 month" job rather than turn in down. Funny how life gives you different forks in the road.

For you OP: Why make the choice now when you can make the choice in June or July 2014. If you turn down one of these current jobs and IF JPM falls through, then you are up-a-creek because you are then 7 months out of school without working experience during that time.

Taking one of the other positions is the best situation for YOU. The only negative is if you need resign from the position in July (or turn down the JPM position then). But this really is more common these days than you realize. There is no more loyally to companies any more. DO WHAT's BEST FOR YOU!

If you leave a job after 6 months you can decide to leave it off your resume...or you can decide to put it on your resume and just explain that you resigned for a better position at JPM. Worry about that in July

Last edited by sware2cod; 11-17-2013 at 09:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 10:37 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,017,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knickknacks10 View Post
Thank you for all the responses. I am weary on taking a offer because I do have the (slim) potential to start early. Also, I am not quite sure how to leave the job with a good reason? or how to describe it in the future, especially if i am trying to get back into the field
As long as you are professional, give your notices, and maintain contact now and then, I see no reason for bridges to be burned. And if you work hard in those 6 months to where you can always have a good reference from a supervisor there, then all the better. If they are going to be mad no matter what, then the best you can do is not give them any other reason to be mad because "they left for a better opportunity."

If you were to return and were asked why I'd just say "A new (not better) opportunity came up and I felt I had to see if it was what I wanted or I'd regret it. While I am glad I took that opportunity I realize that working here (or in this industry- whichever fits better) is what I really want to do.

Good luck.

I once left a job after 6 weeks, now I'm in a MUCH better position, making much more money, am much happier, etc, and I love it and I've never regretted it or looked back.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickknacks10 View Post

I am weary on taking a offer because I do have the (slim) potential to start early. Also, I am not quite sure how to leave the job with a good reason? or how to describe it in the future, especially if i am trying to get back into the field
1) If you start early at JPM then you resign from the current position and simply leave it off your resume.

2) If you start JPM in July and resign the current position after 6 months, 80% of interviewers will never ask you why you left the that position(If you choose to put the 6 month position on your resume. You can easily leave it off your resume if you choose).

Interviewers generally only care why you left your current/most recent postion, which would be JPM. If asked why you left the 6 month position, you tell them you got a better opportunity at JPM. Then you stay silent and wait for the next interview question.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:16 PM

582 posts, read 779,886 times
I find it shameful the number of people that are willing to post comments that are basically stating "that it is OK to do bad things because other people do bad things". Those comments reflect negatively on those posting them. I agree with jghorton, now it the time for you to decide if you want to be the person that always manipulate things to his advantage and the disadvantage of other (ie self-center jerk) or the person with integrity. While neither road is a guarantee for success, the person with integrity will have true friends to fall back on and will not have to constantly worry if someone you backstabbed will catch up with you. The jerk on the other hand will have many people that will enjoy watching him fall if he trips.

In the end the choice is yours.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:18 PM

7,930 posts, read 7,832,572 times
nealrm the situation here is not that different from others I have seen. Naturally it sounds odd in that to wait six or so months for a position but there are fair amounts of places that someone can find temporary work in the meantime.

Make no mistake though there is competition in all industries and sectors. Just because the economy is in bad shape does not mean that somehow an employee will stay at a job forever. Maybe it might be good to assist a non profit on the side or do something probono if the can afford it.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:20 PM

582 posts, read 779,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
nealrm the situation here is not that different from others I have seen. Naturally it sounds odd in that to wait six or so months for a position but there are fair amounts of places that someone can find temporary work in the meantime.

Make no mistake though there is competition in all industries and sectors. Just because the economy is in bad shape does not mean that somehow an employee will stay at a job forever. Maybe it might be good to assist a non profit on the side or do something probono if the can afford it.
I have no issues with taking temp work. If fact many companies are looking for help on a specific project and only want help temporary workers. Nor would I find it reasonable for an employee to stay with a company indefinitely. The issue I have is someone taking a PERMANENT position, where you gave the employer the false impression that you are planning to be employed there long-term. Not only is this a deceitful act, it is also preventing someone else from filling that position.

Conditions change over time. Workers that are needed today, may not be needed tomorrow. Employee may find their skills more in demand in other companies. That is the nature of things. However, that doesn't mean it's OK to lie about your short term plans when you take a job.

To be honest, if I found out that an employee lied to a prior employer in this manner, I would expect that he would also lie to me. I would make sure that I never relied too much on him and key long-term projects would go to someone else.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
I find it shameful the number of people that are willing to post comments that are basically stating "that it is OK to do bad things because other people do bad things". .
It isn't necessarily a bad thing to resign from a job after 6 months. Many companies lay people off or fire them after a few months or after many years of dedication.

If there is no contract/firm commitment given to stay for a certain amount of time, then it's not a bad thing to resign (any more than it is a bad thing for the company to let you go). It goes both ways.

There is no longer loyalty of a long term commitment like many years ago. A company will drop employees if it is in their best interest. It's business, not personal. And employees have started doing the same. It's business, not personal.

It's only a "bad thing" if you signed a contract or gave a commitment/promise to stay a certain amt of time.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,743,488 times
I'm taking a temp-job that just turned permanent after six-months. They just informed me they plan on turning me into a full-time employee even though they don't realize I only plan to be there till the end of January. I am going back to school at nights to pursue a career that is more in demand with greater career growth. I figure if they are going to get rid of me, they are not going to worry about my feelings or how long I have worked for them. Do what's best for you. After six-months just tell your supervisor that you are not sure if this is really a good fit for you or something to that affect.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
I The issue I have is someone taking a PERMANENT position, where you gave the employer the false impression that you are planning to be employed there long-term. Not only is this a deceitful act, it is also preventing someone else from filling that position.
No job is permanent. No company gives any promise of permanent employment. You could be let go 1 month or 1 year after starting due to budget issues or outsourcing or because a project was cancelled. If the company makes no promises, the employee certainly doesn't make a one sided promise to stay permanently. And all parties know this.

Maybe the employee stays for years. You never really know. After all, in the OP's case, there is a possibility the OP stays with this company 10 years. JPM might fall through or the OP might love this new job that they decide to stay long term. Case in point when I took a position thinking I would resign in a few months; I stayed 15 years.

In IT, it is very common to see employees change companies every 1.5 years, on average. It's not uncommon to see a 6 month gig.

Bottom line, the OP is taking a risk by being out of work until July and waiting for JPM. It's not a risk I would take. It could backfire in a bad way for the OP if the JPM job falls through. By OP taking one of the current offers, it's CYA. Why wouldn't the OP CYA? A company surely would CYA. Anyone smart would. After all, it's business, not personal.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:41 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,286,221 times
Do what is best for you. Companies will always do what is in their best interests, and would not hesitate to let you go if there was a reason. Take the next best offer and see how it goes until next July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search