Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:38 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,739,871 times

Advertisements

What about doing things that are only temporary anyway? ie. substitute teaching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 09:53 AM

7,930 posts, read 7,832,572 times
As long as said person puts in a two week notice or so then there is no fraud here.

There's no such thing as an outright permanent job. Budgeting determines a status and even then that doesn't always mean it is the same person.Unless there is a contractual obligation then it is hard to say that at will employment only goes one way.

Consider this. Walmart had store manager corporate meetings recorded with a company for decades. Then they were fired or let go for some reason. Ok fine. Well this company started selling material of the meetings. There was no contract that said they could not do this. Walmart tried to sue but lost. There was no actual contract.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:57 AM

143 posts, read 246,638 times
I don't see what the problem is here. The only 2 things certain in life are death and taxes. I've been laid off multiple times in this economy, including when I had a signed contract for a year but was let go after 8 months. Should go both ways. Just give decent notice and there should be no hard feelings.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:04 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,026,512 times
Anything can happen in six months. Life can change in a moment.

Take the job at hand. Worry about six month, in five months and two weeks.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:32 AM

402 posts, read 746,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Anything can happen in six months. Life can change in a moment.

Take the job at hand. Worry about six month, in five months and two weeks.
This is absolutely right. Jobs that start in six months disappear all the time in the financial sector and in the consulting and accounting firms. Six months also sometimes turns into nine months and sometimes it totally disappears. I know people that this has happened to through the big name companies. It is common.

In my opinion, your career starts now, not hopefully six months from now.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:47 AM

30,285 posts, read 23,777,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Why not simply be honest?

Tell JPM that you really want to work for them, BUT, that you need to work between Jan and July! Ask if they can at least start you in the training program or something related in Jan. This is only reasonable and, if they really want you, they will try to come-up with something. (If they don't care about your situation, maybe you need to think about how serious you should be about them).

If you decide to take another offer (thinking that it might only be an interim situation), tell them that you have a good offer from JPM, but, that it isn't scheduled to start until July ... and that you are willing to give them your best effort. (Everyone has the potential of leaving, but, if you have a real expectation of doing so, it's only fair and honest to say so).

You are just starting-out in your career and this is a key time to decide who you are going to be in the workplace. Are you going to try to simply manipulate any situation to get what you want ... or are you going to be an honest, hard-working, straight-forward employee? That's a question that has more to do with you ... than it does with JPM or any other company.
Yah, I've been honest in the past...didn't get me anywhere. Businesses don't care what you need or want. Being honest in this situation is just a guarantee he won't get the job at all.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:00 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,017,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
I guess your premise is that it's OK to be deceitful, because some companies are deceitful. Following that premise into other areas, it's OK to cheat on your spouse because other spouses have cheated. It's OK to steal from from store because they over price items. It's OK to cut someone off in traffic because someone else in the past cut you off. Where do you draw the line on deceitful actions.

A deceitful act is a deceitful act. One deceitful act doesn't make a second deceitful act right. It doesn't matter if it is the employee taking the job they know they will quit or the employer hire someone he will fire in a few months.

Remember decision are made by people. So as long as there are people out there that think being deceitful is OK, we will have these type of issues. So take the high road and do what's right.
It's not deceitful is what I'm trying to say, it's BUSINESS. Companies hire people, and then later they have to let them go for whatever reason. The OP needs a job in the meantime, and it's just purely business whether he decides to stay or not. There is no "high road" in business, the company does what's best for themselves, likewise a person should also. A company who has too many employees but not enough work doesn't keep people on the payroll to lose money, they'd sink quickly.

You are making this way too personal, you sound like a boss who's upset because his employees leave for better opportunities... you should be happy for them.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:11 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,198,631 times
Take the job that is now. Maybe you'll actually like it better than a possible future job. Do NOT depend on the future job being there, ESPECIALLY if, as one poster noted, the schedule for the potential future job is based off of graduation dates of other possible candidates...

[Added after posting - BTW, there are contracts and there are contracts - if you are going to live and die "by the contract" it becomes supremely important to fully understand what the contract is saying. It is HIGHLY unlikely JPM has guaranteed you anything]

Old 11-18-2013, 04:04 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,872,181 times
I would say it's OK. You need to do what you need to do. You may decide you like this job and want to stay.

6 months is a decent amount of time and what happens if the JP morgan offer disappears? Most likely they do have the right to rescind that offer, yes?

Old 11-20-2013, 12:07 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,849,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Yah, I've been honest in the past...didn't get me anywhere. Businesses don't care what you need or want. Being honest in this situation is just a guarantee he won't get the job at all.
There is likely a great deal of truth in what you say. However, consider the other aspect of 'waiting for a job at JPM in 6-months; while 'temporarily taking an interim job.' If, as you suggest, JPM really doesn't care what he needs or wants NOW, why will they suddenly start caring in 6-months; and/or 'why should he order his life around JPM, when they don't care (AND are in the penalty phase of a $20B payout for their role in the financial market crisis).

If he asks JPM the question now, and they respond "tough luck", I would contend that he should be looking for something else with more than simply an 'interim job' potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search