Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 07:44 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times

Advertisements

My niece got an offer like this. It's kind of like a training program. It's unlikely they will rescind it because they probably are going to send the OP all over the country as a "consultant" 4 days a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 07:49 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,744,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Companies do pretty awful things to employees all the time. When it comes to employment, you have to take care of yourself first.
self preservation is a given, but burning a bridge could come back to bite you in the ass, you never know who you will be working for in the future

Old 11-16-2013, 07:49 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,849,935 times
Why not simply be honest?

Tell JPM that you really want to work for them, BUT, that you need to work between Jan and July! Ask if they can at least start you in the training program or something related in Jan. This is only reasonable and, if they really want you, they will try to come-up with something. (If they don't care about your situation, maybe you need to think about how serious you should be about them).

If you decide to take another offer (thinking that it might only be an interim situation), tell them that you have a good offer from JPM, but, that it isn't scheduled to start until July ... and that you are willing to give them your best effort. (Everyone has the potential of leaving, but, if you have a real expectation of doing so, it's only fair and honest to say so).

You are just starting-out in your career and this is a key time to decide who you are going to be in the workplace. Are you going to try to simply manipulate any situation to get what you want ... or are you going to be an honest, hard-working, straight-forward employee? That's a question that has more to do with you ... than it does with JPM or any other company.

Last edited by jghorton; 11-16-2013 at 08:15 PM..

Old 11-16-2013, 09:11 PM

392 posts, read 704,739 times
You should be getting a sizable signing bonus from them by expecting you to wait 6 months. An "excellent company" would do that.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:06 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,017,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
You already know the answer to this question. Taking a permanent job with the intent of quitting in 6 months says a lot about a person and it's not something good. Find temp work if you must or see if you can talk JPmorgan into allowing you to start early.
Companies don't care if they hire someone and then "let them go" 6 months later... Why should the OP feel bad about leaving later? A person leaving after 6 months for a better opportunity says they are SMART IMO... If the OP just was offered a better job after 6 months it would be no different.

A job is about your own best interests, I'd do it without batting an eye, specially if I can convince the next company to pay me more since I'm already settled in a job.... Why should they take a temp position because they'll leave in 6 months? Companies can easily replace people anyways AND you never know what will happen in 6 months, the OP may end up loving his job so much he doesn't end up going to the JPMC job.

I'd take the job and then see what happens in 6 months.

Last edited by beera; 11-16-2013 at 11:19 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 03:39 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,713,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
You already know the answer to this question. Taking a permanent job with the intent of quitting in 6 months says a lot about a person and it's not something good. Find temp work if you must or see if you can talk JPmorgan into allowing you to start early.
Who's to say the company isn't hiring you intending behind the scenes for it to be temporary? In this job climate there are no guarantees and you have to look out for yourself, because you can be damn sure the employer is looking out for THEIR own interests. I say do the job and give your best effort while there, but loyalty simply doesn't factor into the equation nowadays. Megacorp CEOs will cut staff before reducing their own annual performance bonus.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:53 AM

209 posts, read 292,745 times
Shoot! I envy the OP for having three offers on the table! I'm also graduating with a BS in CIS next month and I can't even get an interview for a help desk job!

Old 11-17-2013, 07:30 AM

30,285 posts, read 23,777,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knickknacks10 View Post
Background: Graduating next month with a dual major in Finance and Information Systems. Currently have 3 IT related job offers on the table all set to expire by the first of December. I have accepted one of them (JPmorgan) because I feel that it is the best opportunity and an excellent company (besides their recent shortfalls). The downside is that it does not officially start until July of 2014, leaving me with a gap of 6 months of uncertainty and it has a very slim chance to start in February.

My questions that I could use help with are:

What is the likelihood of JPmorgan to rescind their job offer after I have already signed and completed it?

I have contemplated accepting one of my other offers, but how bad or wrong would it be to accept an offer and leaving 6 months into it? They are great offers but fall short of JPmorgan imo. I do not want to burn bridges but I would also like the job security and experience. Also I am worried about the future having to explain why I am quitting and to explain to future employers why I bailed out. Currently I have contacted a temp agency to look for a temp job to fill in my employment gap until July but am still considering accepting one of my other offers before it expires.

Any input would be appreciated, thank you.
Nope. Employers have no problem letting people go left and right, to hell with them. Take the job, get the money, leave 'em.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 11,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker65 View Post
Shoot! I envy the OP for having three offers on the table! I'm also graduating with a BS in CIS next month and I can't even get an interview for a help desk job!
CIS is computer information systems? If you have internship experience or work experience and place your programming knowledge you should have no problem finding a gig. Look in your college's career center and attend information sessions with potential employers. The information sessions and any social events with them are prime.

Thank you for all the responses. I am weary on taking a offer because I do have the (slim) potential to start early. Also, I am not quite sure how to leave the job with a good reason? or how to describe it in the future, especially if i am trying to get back into the field

Old 11-17-2013, 08:34 AM

7,930 posts, read 7,832,572 times
I don't think it would burn bridges. Sometimes contracts work like that as not everything has the same starting date. In education a teacher or professor might not start until the start of classes in september so this isn't the only industry that is like that. Many places hire year round but they do not always take on a supplimental budget and therefore have to wait for the start of the next financial year to get someone on.

Planning and anticipation happen ahead of time. DPW's look for drivers in late summer, early fall because it makes sense rather than wait until it snows. Recreational departments hire in mid to late winter because they have to know how to maintain land, establish programs etc. Retailers have different schedules depending on their product lines. Best Buy and others like it have a huge fall and winter season while home improvement is the opposite (Memorial day to Labor day).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search