Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 10:56 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
This is either a Game show or you have been involuntary selected as a guinea pig for practice interviews.
So watch dor new TV shows. This poster may have the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 01:23 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
3 interviews is ridiculous, 4 is a no, and 5 is a H#ll No.

This is a company paralyzed by indecision. Also interviews are mostly nonsense to begin with 5X nonsense is a whole lot of nonsense.
Having worked at companies "paralyzed by indecision," I'd say this is a good point. Five interviews might also indicate disagreement among managers about the job requirements, or someone likes one person and another person likes you, and they're going to keep interviewing you both until someone makes a misstep or drops out.

To me, one of the most important things for the interviewee to get clear: what is the chain of command here? ... to whom will I report? ... who evaluates my work, just my immediate manager or other people?

Early on in my career I got a job assuming the non-HR person who was interviewing me would be my manager. Big mistake. When I got there on the first day, I was assigned to someone I had never met and who had never met me. And she was NOT happy that upper management had hired me without her input. I made it work because, in fact, I totally agreed with her. That's pretty extreme disrespect. But you don't want to spend the first month on your job apologizing for your existence. (In the end, the execs who did that to her lost their jobs, so we came out fine, were a good team, and were both ultimately promoted.)

Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,843 times
Can you just imagine what kind of nightmare it would be like to work for a company that needs 5 interviews to make a hiring decision?

Old 01-18-2014, 05:14 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,196,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
Can you just imagine what kind of nightmare it would be like to work for a company that needs 5 interviews to make a hiring decision?
I'd be more worried about a company that needs 3+ months to interview before making a hiring decision.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:36 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Sure, it's overkill. How extreme depends on the position.

That doesn't in any way change what I said. Want the job? Go. Don't want the job? Don't go.

Pretty simple.
I agree. I would add that this should be the last go-around. If they again want you to perform any tricks/tests you might politely decline. Tell them you set aside an hour for this fifth interview and have another appointment to get to. If everything is still up in the air by the time the interview is over, ask them exactly when they plan to make a decision. Remind them politely that this is the fifth interview in four months, you're very interested in the position but need to know their timeline. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2014, 06:25 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I know of at least one great company that interviews many more times than three or four or five--think twelve to twenty, over really extended periods. Their retention is fabulous, nobody hardly ever leaves.

That's insane. Nobody ever leaves because they probably don't ever want to go through another interview.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:30 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Companies cannot afford to waste time on bad hires.

DO you want to work or not?
Well, obviously the OP wants to work! The real questions is, do these nitwits want to hire the OP, or keep wasting time with endless interviews?

Sadly, this is not uncommon nowadays. Companies know job seekers are utterly desperate and that they can be insanely picky. With so many people out of work for so long, they don't feel worried about losing someone to a competitor. So they make job seekers jump through endless hoops for no good reason. The OP is right to be frustrated.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:09 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Wow! I've personally never heard of anything beyond 3 interviews. You say the pay is $75K at most, which is pretty good, but still...5 interviews! At first, I figured it had to be some top, high security position.

How many minutes has each interview been? If each one was an hour & they actually talked about different things, then I guess it's understandable.

Yes, applicants should always ask at the end of the first interview what the rest of the hiring process will be like, so there are (hopefully) no surprises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersion View Post
This is pretty standard now a days for decent paying jobs.
5 interviews is pretty standard?! Outrageous! That's all the more reason people should be trying to work at home &/or be their OWN boss.

Guys, check out my WORK AT HOME thread & keep that thread alive!

Old 01-19-2014, 07:05 AM

44 posts, read 90,399 times
I was told by the hiring manager that, since so many people are involved in the process, it takes a lot of time, sometimes. I scheduled the follow up interview with them - it's not until a month and a half from now!

Do you think they intend to even hire for this position? WTF is going on?

Old 01-19-2014, 08:37 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,237 times
(1) If you don't mind me asking, what job is this for?

(2) I'm thinking you should go ahead interview for it while looking for something else more promising.

(3) I've come to agree with some other people on here. Doesn't sound a company I want to work for.

My company I currently work for decided to hire me 2 days after interviewing me the first time. They scheduled me to go into their corporate office to interview for a 2nd time just for formality, but they assured me that it was me they wanted. It's turned out to be the best company I ever worked for. My RE has the most realistic expectations I have ever seen in any manager. He's even given me extra time at times to meet deadlines.

On the other hand, the companies in my past that made me go in for interview after interview after interview with seemingly no end in sight turned out to be terrible places to work at. They had managers that yell all the time, unrealistic deadlines, and crappy benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search