Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 06:13 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,856,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy
I would not put my image on LinkedIn.
I wouldnt either and ANYONE WHO TRIED TO FORCE IT,i would leave! (I AM QUITE PRIVATE!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 08:27 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,380,477 times
Default Photo taken in black & white

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I am working hard at changing my situation/identity from "I am retired now" to "I am working now."

My job hunting coach is telling all of us old looking middle aged unemployed folks that employers expect you to have a LinkedIn presence and will compare it to the information on your resume and online application. He also told us that if your LinkedIn page has a picture there is a 7 times better chance a recruiter will look at it. Verified by this website:

8 Mistakes You Should Never Make On LinkedIn - Forbes

Honestly, I look old, out of shape and just plain terrible in my pictures. I have a few pictures of me when I was younger where I look good but they are not online.

To me the whole movement towards pictures on LinkedIn is just a way to quietly discriminate against older people and ethnic minorities. If pictures are expected on LinkedIn, and you are expected to have a LinkedIn page, then it is only a matter of time before we will be required to have a picture on our resume.

Any advice?
I'm not here to solve this ENTIRE problem; I started hitting the age thing when I was forty!!
If your photos such, have someone else dress you (I'm not kidding; my friend, a seamstress,
notices right away the imperfections, such as half a collar out, etc.)

People in general look a lot more ageless in black & white shots.
So have someone else take a good shot, or over the shoulder, from the side holding a clipboard, etc.
Just a suggestion.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:33 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,582,822 times
Some employers value age and experience (whether or not they are willing to pay for it). I finally got hired (as a contractor) after a long time being unemployed. My hiring manager, fellow employees, and myself -- we're all in our 50's. Sometimes "like hiring like" works FOR the older employee.

As for the photo, I went out and got a good haircut/style, went home and took a lot of "selfies", trying out different lighting and backgrounds. For better or worse, it's on LinkedIn -- I like being me and not grey box!

Plus, if only the young/attractive folks posted their photos, there would be a skewed view of the business world out there -- we NEED people to help show that not everyone is in their 20s/30s!

Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,170,918 times
There is no need to have a linked-in or any other account on the web in order to find a job. Companies barely have time for anything else and are not going to search for you on some secret, quasi-secret or even public sites. If they do research your resume vs. your web presence it will be because you made one and made it available to them.

Any recruiter who says you must have a linked-in page is simply trying to mine you for other leads to benefit themselves.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 02-25-2014 at 09:52 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 09:15 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
Why do you have to put an image of yourself? You can put an image of something professional, like a stack of books or something. Or just have no image at all.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:42 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
I question the value of LinkedIn, it seems like 'this years model'. Just another e-toy for techies to sign up for until the next fad comes along (or it gets cluttered with so much crap its useless). Not sure if the picyure is worth it, seems just another way to discriminate if you don't have the 'good chin'.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:02 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I am working hard at changing my situation/identity from "I am retired now" to "I am working now."

My job hunting coach is telling all of us old looking middle aged unemployed folks that employers expect you to have a LinkedIn presence and will compare it to the information on your resume and online application. He also told us that if your LinkedIn page has a picture there is a 7 times better chance a recruiter will look at it. Verified by this website:

8 Mistakes You Should Never Make On LinkedIn - Forbes

Honestly, I look old, out of shape and just plain terrible in my pictures. I have a few pictures of me when I was younger where I look good but they are not online.

To me the whole movement towards pictures on LinkedIn is just a way to quietly discriminate against older people and ethnic minorities. If pictures are expected on LinkedIn, and you are expected to have a LinkedIn page, then it is only a matter of time before we will be required to have a picture on our resume.

Any advice?
You could get in shape and use cosmetics and a nice smile to reduce your perceived age and improve your physical appearence. But other than that, you put yourself out there with an accurate description of what makes you really good, and then let the chips fall where they may. If someone does not want you because you're too old for the job, then that's just the way it is. No use bemoaning it. Just overcome it.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:22 PM

269 posts, read 371,302 times
You can hide being out of shape - most people only have photos from shoulders up so no way of telling anyway.

I like seeing photos, I think it helps to put a face to a name. Lately I've been dealing with a recruiter in a different city, and I finally saw what she looked like when we connected on LinkedIn.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:54 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You could get in shape ...
This. If you're as out of shape as you say and "look 75" then take the time you spend creating new threads and get out there for some fresh air and some exercise. A couple of hours a day and a healthy diet will improve both your body and your mind.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:58 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
I really don't think this "job support group" you go to is doing you any favors.

The stuff you bring up from there all sounds like rumors and misinformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search