Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:06 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Why do you have to put an image of yourself? You can put an image of something professional, like a stack of books or something. Or just have no image at all.
Since I wrote my original post on this topic I have looked into this further and it is worse than I thought. Pretty much every article I have found says if you want to be considered a serious candidate for a professional office job that requires advanced skills and education you need to be on LinkedIn.

And your LinkedIn page must have a picture of you and a large number of high profile contacts.

As I said in an earlier post I am a finalist for a couple of Operations Manager positions and both times the recruiter asked me about my LinkedIn profile online. When I told them I was not on LinkedIn they got concerned that I was out of date and not connected to my industry/community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 06:08 AM

402 posts, read 746,195 times
If you're afraid to post a LinkedIn photo, you must really be afraid of a face-to-face interview.

Don't European CVs typically have pictures on them? I also know Zappos actually prefers you to send in a video for your application. That's the way the wind is a'blowin' these days.

If a company is going to age discriminate, then that's what they're going to do. If not, then I'm not sure what you're worried about. You either are what your age says you are or you are going to make some attempts to look younger which could include cosmetic (hair, clothing, etc,) changes or getting in shape and looking and feeling better. If you are concerned about being able to do this, you probably have to shift your strategy to work at home or telemarketing or jobs where they want someone dependable and mature but aren't hung up on the looks game. Unfortunately, this may mean taking a "seniors job" such as Walmart greeter or fast food worker.

I don't envy your position, but the world isn't going to change for you. You have to pick your path based upon what you can and are willing to do.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:15 AM

402 posts, read 746,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Since I wrote my original post on this topic I have looked into this further and it is worse than I thought. Pretty much every article I have found says if you want to be considered a serious candidate for a professional office job that requires advanced skills and education you need to be on LinkedIn.

And your LinkedIn page must have a picture of you and a large number of high profile contacts.

As I said in an earlier post I am a finalist for a couple of Operations Manager positions and both times the recruiter asked me about my LinkedIn profile online. When I told them I was not on LinkedIn they got concerned that I was out of date and not connected to my industry/community.
If you are a finalist for a management job, it doesn't matter what the recruiter thinks about you having or not having a LinkedIn profile. You have already made it past the recruiter. The other people care more about your ability to do the job. I swear it seems like you make up these scenarios

Second, you claim you were a VP or an executive earlier in your career. You have an extremely easy road to accumulate high profile contacts. If you really believe that will help you, then go out there and get them. You have the power to do that. It has to be better than posting here.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:22 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,533 times
My contacts from my days as an executive are long gone and forgotten.

I always thought I was a great interviewer and if I could get in the room with someone I could convince them to hire me. But if they look at my picture online I may never get a chance to impress them.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:32 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,216,042 times
Quote:
I am working hard at changing my situation/identity from "I am retired now" to "I am working now."

My job hunting coach is telling all of us old looking middle aged unemployed folks that employers expect you to have a LinkedIn presence and will compare it to the information on your resume and online application. He also told us that if your LinkedIn page has a picture there is a 7 times better chance a recruiter will look at it. Verified by this website:

8 Mistakes You Should Never Make On LinkedIn - Forbes

Honestly, I look old, out of shape and just plain terrible in my pictures. I have a few pictures of me when I was younger where I look good but they are not online.

To me the whole movement towards pictures on LinkedIn is just a way to quietly discriminate against older people and ethnic minorities. If pictures are expected on LinkedIn, and you are expected to have a LinkedIn page, then it is only a matter of time before we will be required to have a picture on our resume.

Any advice?

Since you have so much time being "retired now" you should perhaps dedicate your effort into eating better and exercising to get yourself into shape.

Being in shape has so many benefits beyond just confidence levels. You will consume less healthcare too!!

Old 02-26-2014, 06:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
I always thought I was a great interviewer and if I could get in the room with someone I could convince them to hire me. But if they look at my picture online I may never get a chance to impress them.
You also thought you were a good employee but were fired "many many times" (your words) so it would seem your vision of yourself and your capabilities is rather flawed. As cowherjaw said, "If you are a finalist for a management job, it doesn't matter what the recruiter thinks about you having or not having a LinkedIn profile. You have already made it past the recruiter. The other people care more about your ability to do the job. I swear it seems like you make up these scenarios."

Not only does it appear you make up these scenarios but keeping the stories straight is obviously a challenge. "My contacts from my days as an executive are long gone and forgotten" and yet in another post you said that just two years ago you were an executive tasked with staffing a big project.

If you don't want to get away from the computer to get yourself in shape then maybe you should work up a data base to keep track of all the stories so you don't keep stepping all over yourself trying to keep them straight.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:48 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,702 times
I'm a 30 year old professional engineer and I've never really understood why we need social networking at all. Up until last week, I didn't have any social networking account. Well, my friends have been pushing me so I finally signed up for linkedin. Still don't know what the fuss is all about.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:03 AM

13 posts, read 39,936 times
I am also in the "over 50" group and job hunting. I feel the same sting that you do when applying. I am not posting my picture on LinkedIn or any other form of "media". I want to be hired based on my vast experience, my maturity, and what I can bring to the table for that particular company. If they pass me by based on my looks, ( and I look pretty darn good for my age) then it is their loss. I would not want to work for them anyways. My advice, hang in there, keep applying. That job is out there. There is a company that will be honored to have someone with your background, your wisdom, and what you can do for them. Don't settle. I'm rooting for you!

Old 02-26-2014, 09:14 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,317,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I'm a 30 year old professional engineer and I've never really understood why we need social networking at all. Up until last week, I didn't have any social networking account. Well, my friends have been pushing me so I finally signed up for linkedin. Still don't know what the fuss is all about.
Well, you will understand what the fuss is all about if your next job comes through a connection via social networking.

Other than that it's a tool.

Once upon a time resumes were written by hand, then everyone needed to get a type writer...

Old 02-26-2014, 10:18 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Well, you will understand what the fuss is all about if your next job comes through a connection via social networking.

Other than that it's a tool.

Once upon a time resumes were written by hand, then everyone needed to get a type writer...
Well, I said I didn't know anything about social networking. Got several offers when I applied for an engineering job without social networking. Perhaps social networking really is a great tool to obtain great professional jobs. I just don't have the experience in it to know what's up with that.

What exactly can an employer obtain from a linkedin account that they can't get from your application or resume? To me, it's just another thing to worry about like facebook and twitter.

That said, isn't the comment you left for me in my account a little harsh? Questioning my qualifications and one hair away from calling me an idiot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search