Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 03:41 PM

44 posts, read 90,380 times

Advertisements

I have been interviewing for a position with the same company since September. I have gone on four interviews, which includes panel interviews, one-on-ones and phone interviews. I was informed last week that they want me to come in for yet another, fifth interview. This would be with several people I've already talked to. This is a respectable, mid-level position, but by no means a leadership, executive role (the type of positions I've understandably seen people put through the ringer to get). I just don't get it. I am tired and not even sure if they feel I am "the" one. Feels like a run-around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 03:42 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Companies cannot afford to waste time on bad hires.

DO you want to work or not?

Old 01-15-2014, 03:45 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
I have been interviewing for a position with the same company since September. I have gone on four interviews, which includes panel interviews, one-on-ones and phone interviews. I was informed last week that they want me to come in for yet another, fifth interview. This would be with several people I've already talked to. This is a respectable, mid-level position, but by no means a leadership, executive role (the type of positions I've understandably seen people put through the ringer to get). I just don't get it. I am tired and not even sure if they feel I am "the" one. Feels like a run-around.
Are you already employed? If you are then your concern is well placed for obvious reasons. Is the commute a long one. Ditto.

If not then if you want the job and it isn't interfering with another interview then go. Unless you think they are fishing for free consulting.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:46 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Did you ask them during the initial interviews what their interview process consists of so at least you can expect it?

Old 01-15-2014, 03:58 PM

537 posts, read 1,242,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Companies cannot afford to waste time on bad hires.

DO you want to work or not?
Agreed. I would rather interview the right person five times than the wrong person twice. I've seen management make that mistake once, and it was an awful work experience for at least three months for everyone in my office.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:02 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,602 times
5 interviews is ridiculous. They should be able to make a decision way before that.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:05 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Seems overboard to me but if you need the job you should go. If you got this far chances are good, I would think! I hope you get an offer this time.

If this process is causing undue hardship for you somehow, then maybe not but that depends on your circumstances.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:06 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
5 interviews is ridiculous. They should be able to make a decision way before that.
Completely agree and I feel the OP's pain. While I work a corp gig right now, I once interviewed four times for a high-end cocktailing/waitressing position at a four star steakhouse. When they wanted me to come in for a 5th interview I told them no thank you.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:22 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
That's obsessive. I would put my foot down and tell them that they've seen you enough times to make an accurate judgement. I had the same thing happen before too, although it was going on the third interview, not 5. Employers are spending more time looking for the right hire, and I'm all for that. They are better of not hiring than hiring the wrong person. At the same time, we employees have our own lives to attend to. It's difficult enough to skip out of work for one job interview, let alone FIVE. Ridiculous.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:31 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
3 interviews is ridiculous, 4 is a no, and 5 is a H#ll No.

This is a company paralyzed by indecision. Also interviews are mostly nonsense to begin with 5X nonsense is a whole lot of nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search