Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 05:52 PM

210 posts, read 426,560 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am in the process of re-writing my resume, and I am grappling between whether I should group my different titles within the organization or leave them as a standalone job functions.

The benefit of leaving them as a standalone shows my ability to quickly move within the organization through promotions. At the same time, it makes the resume longer than it needs to be even after eliminating useless bullets.

Grouping all the different titles' [relevant] functions under the latest job title shows you've had more experience in that job (even though that's not really true), shortens the resume, and, in my opinion, makes you stand out more if you plan on finding a job in this title. At the same time, if you do not have experience working with companies, it could prove to be a negative thing.

My resume would look as follow:

Option 1:

Job A – Company A – 2013 – Present
- Function
- Function
- Function
Job B – Company A – 2010 – 2013
- Function
- Function
- Function
Job C – Company A – 2009 – 2010
- Function
- Function
- Function
Job D – Company A – 2007 – 2008
- Function
- Function
- Function

Job A – Company B – 2005 – 2007
- Function
- Function
- Function

etc...

Option 2

Job A – Company A – 2008 – Present
- Function
- Function
- Function
- Function
- Function
- Function

Job A – Company B – 2005 – 2007
- Function
- Function
- Function

etc...

This leads me to my question. In your experience, what has worked best for you? If you are an HR person, which resume would stand out more to you most?

Thanks!

Last edited by Aloupha; 04-07-2014 at 06:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 07:06 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Certainly not option 2. That is simply confusing.

I would put the highest title earned along with the entire duration.

If you were hired as a junior bottle washer in 2005, became a senior bottle washer in 2006, then a bottle washer analyst in 2007, I would say:

Company A, 2005-2007, Bottle Washer Analyst.

If you want, note as a bullet point your hiring title and that you were promoted twice in succession.

As an HM, there are a lot of things I look for. Trying to parse career advancement out of a resume, particularly when I am not positive what any company means by a given title, is not practical.

In you position I would include rapid career promotion in your cover letter.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:07 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
I would concentrate on "accomplishments" rather than function. Function to me is what the role entails Basically what anyone in that role would have been doing. So as an example:

Most recent title, Company, dates

Brief summary of function (include that you were promoted 5 times in 7 years if you wish). Basically two - three sentences.

0 Accomplishment 1
0 Accomplishment 2
0 Accomplishment 3

Old 04-08-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Certainly not option 2. That is simply confusing.

I would put the highest title earned along with the entire duration.

If you were hired as a junior bottle washer in 2005, became a senior bottle washer in 2006, then a bottle washer analyst in 2007, I would say:

Company A, 2005-2007, Bottle Washer Analyst.

If you want, note as a bullet point your hiring title and that you were promoted twice in succession.

As an HM, there are a lot of things I look for. Trying to parse career advancement out of a resume, particularly when I am not positive what any company means by a given title, is not practical.

In you position I would include rapid career promotion in your cover letter.
Thanks for the response.

I am a little confused by it though. It sounds like you advice is based on Option 2, but you said no to the second option.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I would concentrate on "accomplishments" rather than function. Function to me is what the role entails Basically what anyone in that role would have been doing. So as an example:

Most recent title, Company, dates

Brief summary of function (include that you were promoted 5 times in 7 years if you wish). Basically two - three sentences.

0 Accomplishment 1
0 Accomplishment 2
0 Accomplishment 3
That's exactly what I kind of meant by option two.... But more of a combination of accomplishments and functions. I also consider adding an accomplishments section at the top of my job experience and list functions only under the job title.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:23 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
Thanks for the response.

I am a little confused by it though. It sounds like you advice is based on Option 2, but you said no to the second option.
Sorry, my response was typed from a phone. Small screen, big fingers! confused response.

Cluster your jobs by timeline, which is also most likely by company. Don't worry about the junior titles, only post the most senior title in the appropriate field. The trade off is that you will look like you have done the most senior position of bottle washer analyst for 3 years, while reducing the impact of your promotional advancement.

I will take that trade any day of the week.

For complete honesty, note the original title you were hired in at in the cover letter, which is where you point out your rapid promotional advancement because you were recognized by your employer as a top performer.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:37 PM

137 posts, read 199,723 times
Companies like to see growth. I think that's represented by option #1. They like to see that you've contributed, was recognized, formally promoted and took on more responsibilities. Here's my format suggestion for you:

Company #1 (2000 - 20013)
Current Position (2010 - 2013)
-
-
-
Previous Position (2005 - 2010)
-
-
-
First Position (2000 - 2005)
-
-
-

Company #2 (1995 - 2000)
Position
-
-
-

Hope this helps. What you have above looks confusing and you don't want to confuse a prospective employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search