Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:11 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,899,263 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone can you help me with this situation?

I sent my resume to my dad who's close friend's significant other is a head HR person for an IT firm( in another city, I can easily relocate to). I think it was sent this week. It was sent with no specific position in mind but perhaps that there might be a good fit they could find.

It has only been a few days and still early but how should I follow up? I won't follow up too soon but likely in due time if I hear nothing.

I think sending the person an email in addition, to let them know that I really do exist to add a personal touch rather than just random resume by someone they know. I would attach a proper cover letter because I didn't send one directly. Even if they have no fit or something available I think I should introduce myself to shoe that I am keen.

Anyone been in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 03:35 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
Wouldn't you just follow up with your dad? You said you sent your resume to your dad who I assume gave it to his close friend.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:39 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Don't go off into strange scenarios, where your dad sent them a resume of a person that doesn't exist.

Does your dad have a habit of sending resumes of fake people to them?

Old 04-24-2014, 06:10 PM

I sent sn email to this person, I found a good reason to

Old 04-24-2014, 09:43 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
Hi everyone can you help me with this situation?

I sent my resume to my dad who's close friend's significant other is a head HR person for an IT firm( in another city, I can easily relocate to). I think it was sent this week. It was sent with no specific position in mind but perhaps that there might be a good fit they could find.

It has only been a few days and still early but how should I follow up? I won't follow up too soon but likely in due time if I hear nothing.

I think sending the person an email in addition, to let them know that I really do exist to add a personal touch rather than just random resume by someone they know. I would attach a proper cover letter because I didn't send one directly. Even if they have no fit or something available I think I should introduce myself to shoe that I am keen.

Anyone been in this situation?
I think you try to get introduced by the person who is a close friend of your dad. Not you just sending resume with no position in mind. That was the head of HR would act on it rather than letting the resume sit. Did you atleast explain the connection to the head of HR?

Old 04-25-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I think you try to get introduced by the person who is a close friend of your dad. Not you just sending resume with no position in mind. That was the head of HR would act on it rather than letting the resume sit. Did you atleast explain the connection to the head of HR?
Yes, I did I have sent an email introducing myself and applied to some of the jobs they had listed.Hopefully that will make the situation easier if anything works out rather than just sending a my info at random through someone else it gets me chance to say things in my own words

Old 04-25-2014, 09:17 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Yes, I did I have sent an email introducing myself and applied to some of the jobs they had listed.Hopefully that will make the situation easier if anything works out rather than just sending a my info at random through someone else it gets me chance to say things in my own words
But usually people like to get resumes from the person they know. Not directly from someone they don't know

Old 04-25-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
But usually people like to get resumes from the person they know. Not directly from someone they don't know
It was sent via their significant other whom I know, then I follow up

Old 04-25-2014, 01:55 PM

Would it be rude not to respond? even if there is no match or opportunity which I am ok with as it will not affect the connection. They should at least respond if I know their significant other right?

"Nothing available" or "no fit" is better than no response.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:57 PM
FBJ

Quote:
It was sent via their significant other whom I know, then I follow up
The significant other has to contact your dad's friend since the person don't know you. I had a job lead through my Aunt's boyfriend who knew the VP of a company I wanted to work for. It was my Aunt who contacted me to tell me that he wants me to contact him at 10am.

So that's how it works
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search