Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:40 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
I absolutely never claimed the problem never existed. I even pointed out in a previous post WHY the unemployed face uphill battles. Life is not the binary equation you are attempting to fit it into. There's shades of grey all over.
My bad - I think I mixed you up with another poster. My apologies.

Long story short, you're right in that regard, and not hiring the unemployed because of their unemployed status is disgusting, no matter the "reasons" given, and does nothing but create a permanent underclass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 11:00 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
It depends why someone was unemployed, how long they've been out, and what they did while they were unemployed.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:13 AM

983 posts, read 995,605 times
One valuable thing to do if your long time unemployed, (except looking for work) is volunteer. If you can tell an employer you volunteered for the National Park Service giving nature lectures, volunteered at a retirement home leading an exercise class, things like that, it shows that you did something with your time AND gained some skills.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:04 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
One valuable thing to do if your long time unemployed, (except looking for work) is volunteer. If you can tell an employer you volunteered for the National Park Service giving nature lectures, volunteered at a retirement home leading an exercise class, things like that, it shows that you did something with your time AND gained some skills.
I think the argument is while a person can do these things, if the skills they gain aren't directly relevant to the line of work they wish to enter it's a waste of time. If I volunteered teaching basic computer skills, it's not looked upon as highly as volunteering my time doing basic to intermediate computer networking. Employers want to see the work done as really applicable to a real-life setting.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I think the argument is while a person can do these things, if the skills they gain aren't directly relevant to the line of work they wish to enter it's a waste of time. If I volunteered teaching basic computer skills, it's not looked upon as highly as volunteering my time doing basic to intermediate computer networking. Employers want to see the work done as really applicable to a real-life setting.
Exactly. I also don't get where folks come up with the notion that you can just volunteer anywhere. In most cases, volunteering for a regular position basically has an application process of its own - it's not as if the local pet shelter is just going to employ anyone who wanders in off the street. Top that off with the fact that if the volunteer work has zero relevance to your actual field of employment, which is highly likely, and the best you can hope for is tricking the 1st round resume filters - and then hitting a wall when a human looks at your resume and realizes you lied about being "employed" at a volunteer agency.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:18 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Exactly. I also don't get where folks come up with the notion that you can just volunteer anywhere. In most cases, volunteering for a regular position basically has an application process of its own - it's not as if the local pet shelter is just going to employ anyone who wanders in off the street. Top that off with the fact that if the volunteer work has zero relevance to your actual field of employment, which is highly likely, and the best you can hope for is tricking the 1st round resume filters - and then hitting a wall when a human looks at your resume and realizes you lied about being "employed" at a volunteer agency.
I'm in IT, and while I was laid off earlier this year, I volunteered at a homeless shelter. The job I performed was teaching homeless folks how to use the computer, helping them create resumes & fill out applications online.

Now, I wasn't asked by my current employer what I did during my two months off, because I am a DoD contractor and I came recommended by my last boss. But the interview I went to (at a different contractor) before I got hired, did ask me what kind of things I did between jobs, and I was able to say that. I got an offer from them after I accepted the other one, and when I spoke to the hiring manager, he told me that answer alone had put me above the other candidates, that they like to see people give back to their community.

So I'm not just blowing smoke here. You can take away from that what you want.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm in IT, and while I was laid off earlier this year, I volunteered at a homeless shelter. The job I performed was teaching homeless folks how to use the computer, helping them create resumes & fill out applications online.

Now, I wasn't asked by my current employer what I did during my two months off, because I am a DoD contractor and I came recommended by my last boss. But the interview I went to (at a different contractor) before I got hired, did ask me what kind of things I did between jobs, and I was able to say that. I got an offer from them after I accepted the other one, and when I spoke to the hiring manager, he told me that answer alone had put me above the other candidates, that they like to see people give back to their community.

So I'm not just blowing smoke here. You can take away from that what you want.
I'll grant you that IT and software fields are somewhat different, though they are probably the only high-tech field in which one can, in theory, do stuff on your own that counts for something and/or volunteer in a way that still counts towards "working in your field."

Most other forms of engineering don't fall into that category - we get into the "volunteering to design jet engines in the basement" situation - and the same applies to the medical field, etc.

Anyway, good post on your part and I'm glad it worked out for you.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:25 PM

What about helping kids build a soap box derby car, or fix wheelchairs for the disabled? Something along those lines?

It's not exactly mechanical engineering, but it's something...

Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
What about helping kids build a soap box derby car, or fix wheelchairs for the disabled? Something along those lines?

It's not exactly mechanical engineering, but it's something...
Not a bad idea - I'll have to look that one over.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:27 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search